Best LT windscreen? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Best LT windscreen?

Sometime in the next few months I plan to replace my LT windscreen. I'm interested in opinions about windscreen brands topics including but not limited to:
Wind deflection quality
Clarity
Distortion

...or anything else you think is relevant.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Happy with the CB Shield

I've got the tall CB with wings and am happy with it. I stay dry at speeds above 35mph even in heavy rains. I rode home from work in the Houston storms we just went through without my rain gear, on a whim. The wife and I road through three rain storms this Summer on the way up to Fort Collins, CO. We didn't bother with the suits then either. Our left elbows did get damp in one storm, however, because of a strong cross wind.

Chuck
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:56 pm

I''m not sure we will ever find the best, since it depends on many factors like high, helmet, position you like (looking under or over), etc.
I'm 6.1 with Arai Signet helmets and I like CeeBayle #2 -2 first and VStream 2nd.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

So far, the 2006 (bought in April) optional taller windscreen works well for me and my passenger. Should fit your 2000 OK. I had one of the 2000's and the first windscreen fogged/peeled. The replacement under warranty last fine for 100,000 miles.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:18 pm

Cee bailey #2-3 with wings....................................
quieter, less wind, wife loves it even when all the way down and me looking over the top of it................................................ ...

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

Over the top with a RF-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
I''m not sure we will ever find the best, since it depends on many factors like high, helmet, position you like (looking under or over), etc.
I'm 6.1 with Arai Signet helmets and I like CeeBayle #2 -2 first and VStream 2nd.
Good point, it does depend--I should know better.

I'm just over 6 foot. Also, I where an RF-1000. I like looking over the top 80% of the time if I'm not getting wind-whipped.

Regards,
John

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:09 am

I wrote a comprehensive review a few weeks back regarding my CB #2-2 purchase. I'm still 100% satisfied and believe it was a fantastic upgrade to the bike... 2nd best behind only the PIAA 1100X's

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14612

Of course I'm no official motorcycle magazine rider/reviewer. Just a review from real people for real people interested in windscreens - hope that helps! Ryan
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I wrote a comprehensive review a few weeks back regarding my CB #2-2 purchase. I'm still 100% satisfied and believe it was a fantastic upgrade to the bike... 2nd best behind only the PIAA 1100X's

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14612

Of course I'm no official motorcycle magazine rider/reviewer. Just a review from real people for real people interested in windscreens - hope that helps! Ryan
Ryan, thanks for sharing your experience (above link).

Sounds like we're very close in height, so I'll ask ...
If you wanted to primarily ride looking over the screen and sometimes want a breeze on the face (it's a little warmer in ABQ compared to Madison), would you buy a shorter sheild? If yes, which one?

Regards,
John

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:34 pm

I had a CB#2 w/wings -3 and passenger and I liked the protection. A car knocked the bike off the centerstand and broke the windshield. I would not want to be involved in an accident with the shards that were left if I were one to ride in shorts and a T-shirt. I thought some of the folks here were alarmist when they discussed the materials a WS is made from. Now I'm wondering what to replace the broken WS with. Maybe I'll see if one of the shards will cut my Aerostitch.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Maybe test the Kevlar mesh as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
I had a CB#2 w/wings -3 and passenger and I liked the protection. A car knocked the bike off the centerstand and broke the windshield. I would not want to be involved in an accident with the shards that were left if I were one to ride in shorts and a T-shirt. I thought some of the folks here were alarmist when they discussed the materials a WS is made from. Now I'm wondering what to replace the broken WS with. Maybe I'll see if one of the shards will cut my Aerostitch.
I'm guessing both Aerostitch and Cycle Port's Kevlar Mesh would not stand up to a direct shard impact! If you send me a piece, I'll test it against the Kevlar mesh as well.

Regards,
John

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:43 am

I can only imagine how hot it gets My #2-2 is down most of the time, but when I hit the expressway, up she goes. Down, it's a little wind in the face, but still provides protection - meaning not wind in the face like a sport bike. I don't have to wear glasses when riding around town. I really enjoy it down. At expressway speeds, the helmet noise and shaking gets a little too much for my liking.

Remember, I don't have the wings, so I can't comment about those. I would surely say if I were riding in extreme heat and needed a breeze to keep me cool, riding with this shield in the lowest position will provide protection and also just enough wind to keep you happy.

Oh wait - looks like I missed part of the question. To answer the shorter shield part:
I would say no. I love this one. I can see over it easily. If anything, I would go with a slightly longer -1 or 0 - but IMO -2 is perfect

Last edited by rjhammetter; Oct 24th, 2006 at 11:39 am.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
I'm guessing both Aerostitch and Cycle Port's Kevlar Mesh would not stand up to a direct shard impact! If you send me a piece, I'll test it against the Kevlar mesh as well.
I'll hang on to a few pieces and we will experiment when I come through town this winter. I could probably drop the rest of the windshield into the prison at Santa Fe, if you will rent us a plane, and get a nasty riot going. (You may be to young to remember the last one.) Better yet, I'll rent a sailplane from Moriarty and we can fly up there, wait, Cee Bailey makes aircraft WS. I wonder if they use the same material. I sure liked that CB #2 w/wings.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in