Oh no...Nail in my Tire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Oh no...Nail in my Tire

Has anyone had success at plugging a rear tire? Or is this too dangerous? Should the tire be replaced?
I only have 2k miles on this tire. The nail looks like a roofing nail and is right in the center of the tire.
I have rope plugs in my tool kit.
Any thoughts????
Larry

Larry
2002 K1200LTC
Weimar, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:22 pm

Much discussed decision

The opinions I have read and basically agree with are:
The externally applied plug, rope, stop n go, etc. are to get you home. Don't trust such a repair for high speed riding.

A professionally done plug and patch done by removing the tire and applying from the inside is probably very reliable if the puncture is a nice round one and is in the middle of the tread such as you describe.

Most folks, (me included) will just bite the bullet and get a new tire. Peace of mind kind of thing.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Tire

Thanks.....I know.....I was just hoping for a miracle.
Larry

Larry
2002 K1200LTC
Weimar, CA

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:37 pm

I have ridden on two rope plugged rear tires, just like you describe.

1 lasted the life of the tire

2 lasted about 3000 miles before leaking air again

I wouldn't ride over the speed limit with one.

After #2, I'm just gonna use them to get a new tire at my convienence.

I wouldn't be afraid, but would religously check the air pressure before mouting the bike, even after gas stops, etc.

But this one scared the heck out of me.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Tire nail

Wow....Point well taken!!!
I don't want a SUPRISE blow out.....
Okay, I'll fire up the money press.
Thanks
Larry

Larry
2002 K1200LTC
Weimar, CA
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:15 pm

I don't think anyone would want to say either way, but me and 12 of my cousins go to sturgis every year-we ride both ways from Massachusetts. One year before we even got out of Ma. my cousin Ron got a nail in his front tire plugged it, and continued on to Sturgis checking air pressure at regular interval's, to make a long story short he picked up two more nails in the same tire in differant years, he plugged them and made two more trips to sturgis with three plugs in the same tire, he changed the tire this year- it didn't have enough tread to pass inspection. I would never plug a tire unless it was only to get me to a Dealer to have it replaced. I was riding with a friend that got a flat as he was exiting the hwy. he couldn't maintain control he crashed and got beat up bad. Please spend the bucks and get a new tire. it's not worth the risk.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:09 pm

Wow.... special "Sturgis" tires! kewlllll... How do you make them last over 45k miles?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:51 am

3 months after I got this LT was riding home from the mountian, started feeling a little odd in curves. Finally felt odd enough for me to pull over, side stand wouldn't hold it, too far down in the back. Got her up on the center stand and took a look. Big rusty nail in the rear and it was too hot to touch.

Got out the tools and repair kit and read the directions. Thought that if a couple of CO2s would fill a tire that maybe the tooth fairy was gonna pop out of the bushes and help. Laid out the repair kit and pulled the nail, just a tiny amount of air left in the tire. Plugged the hole as per the repair kit directions, aired it with (3) CO2s and rode it home. Rode it a few more time watching the tire pressure closely. It held air but every time I got on it, I thought about that plug. As I routinely ride it just a little over posted, gave up and put on a new tire. Old one had about 3k on it. Rolled the old plugged tire into the dog yard where our American Bull Dog enjoyed playing with it.

The following summer, 4th of July, Sunday, a group of us were going to ride the mountains, to the Blue Ridge and back. Scotty who rides a 650 Suzuki crotch rocket called with a flat about 20 miles out. Hooked the trailer to the truck and went and got him, brough it to the house, unloaded it and entered discussions as to where are we going to find a tire (he rode it flat long enough to ruin it) on Sunday the 4th of July. Happened to look at his tire and then at my LT, same size tire (different everything else but same size). Out to the dog yard, washed the tire, looked the blue plug over carefully and put it on his Suzuki. Gave him the history of how it got in the back yard and then gave him the tire. Went riding. Saw him riding the Suzuki in excess of 120mph. He ran that tire until the cords were showing. Plug held, never leaked until the tire wore out.

Point is that those plugs work and work well. I'l change the tire once it has a nail hole in it just because it makes me feel better and I can afford a new tire. Ride on a plug at your own risk. A lighter machine at slower speeds not on the big roads, I might run a plug.

Got a big magnet under my LT, catches a lot of trash and appears to have saved me from at least one flat. Has caught nails, screws, washers and other metal, makes the left turn lights change too. Old timer once told me that sometimes the front tire will flip a nial up on end, just right for it to puncture the rear. He ran a mud flap on his front fender and another one under the engine for nails. Not sure how well that worked.

Flats ain't no fun.

B D R

Last edited by gunny; Oct 22nd, 2006 at 7:57 am.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Tire nails

O.K. The vote is in.....
I'm cashing in my coke bottles and buying a new tire.
Today, I'm looking for a dog who needs a tire to play with.

Thanks for all the input
Larry

Larry
2002 K1200LTC
Weimar, CA
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 6:32 am

Wink To plug or not to plug...that is the question!

Recently I had the misfortune of having a nail show up in my 2 week old metzler 880 and in the same week a nail in my new TownCar Michelin. I plugged them both with totally different results. The auto tire has done fine and doesn't appear to leak. The bike tire was leaking down about 3 lbs per day so I had a pro shop put the "mushroom plug in it from the inside just to be safe. I don't think this plug would have come out since it was installed internally but the Dang thing started leaking after two days!! 5 lbs overight! Obviously I had to buy a new tire so I have conclude that the plugs don't work well because the Bike tires are round and flex a lot. A plug will get you home or you can make it till payday but eventually you gotta buy a tire! Ron

Ron Ray
Lexington, South Carolina
2007 GS Adventure

" My 35th bike riding 45 years"
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:39 am

I have had several punctures and I consider the plug to be the same as a spare tire only. I have ridden several hundred miles on a plugged tire simply because, when you are on the road, - what are going to do? I'v never experienced any problem with a plug but all of my punctures have been at or near the centerline of the tire.

I use the Plug-N-Go kit and keep a $10 compressor from K-Mart in the saddle bag. (the compressor is also handy for adjusting inflation while on the road, all my friends line up when I have it out)

The recommendation is clear from other posts. Get a new tire at your earliest opportunity. The price is worth the safety factor.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm

new tire...

New tire: $120.00 (www.swmototires.com)
Peace of mind: Priceless
Like the Michelin ad says "so much is riding on your tires", the most obvious one being... you! So beg, steal, or borrow... and get yourself a new rubber!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:46 pm
cws

Garage
I pulled a small nail from a near new Metzeller rear this week too. Off centre but in full tread.
Took it to a bike tyre shop and had it mushroom plugged (Au$45), but only after umming and ahhhing, and asking on the local board site and reading other posts here.
I'm putting some Ultraseal in it tomorrow (another Au$50) and hope that it will enable a long life from the tyre and stop any potential future leak from the plug or any other puncture.
I got about 18000km out of the first set, so not happy to throw away Au$300+ on another new tyre when it only has 1000km on it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 2:40 am

big magnet

Hi Gunny,
How big of a magnet did you put on your LT, where did you get it, where did you install it, and how? Tripping red lights is always a plus, but catching potential tire hazards is verrry interesting.
Thanks,
Jeff
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 9:04 am

Flat Tires

Had a rear tire with only 6K on it and got a nail dead center in the tread. Not being overly confident to put a plug in myself, I went to 4 bike shops and 2 tire stores. None would put a plug in the tire due to liability concerns. Bought a new tire. After all those refusals to plug, it made me feel safer.

Ultra LT

Riding is Life. All else is just waiting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in