6Likes
  • 1 Post By gorm5
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By hmmmm90s
  • 2 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 2:28 am Thread Starter

I'm in love.

I am finishing up my first long trip on the LT. By tomorrow when I get back home, I will have ridden 2300 miles on her in 4 days. I can honestly say she has exceeded my expectations. Between the cruise control, super smooth ride, ample storage, nice stereo, adjustable windshield, and rain protection, I am hooked. In addition to that, I got tons of attention almost at every stop, unlike my buddy on his 2012 HD Street Glide. Hard to describe how happy I am to have an LT. I already liked her a lot, but this trip has me in love now. Thanks, BMW! Of course, I reserve the right to fall out of love if she starts having issues.
katnapinn likes this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 3:25 am

Re: I'm in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
I reserve the right to fall out of love if she starts having issues.
Easier said than done. We like our LT's even if they cost us money to ride.
ibbones and gorm5 like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Gorm --

It never gets old.

I'd like to say that there are new motorcycles out there that might work better or look better for this application, but there aren't. ;-) There might be faster, or lighter, or more technically sophisticated motorcycles, but in terms of low levels of rider stress over sustained miles, I got nothin'.

One of my favorite experiences was dropping in to Battley Cycles, in Rockville, MD, with my 2000 to pick up some parts, and parking beside their brand new K1600GTL dealer demo unit.

A local club was holding a Barbeque and Fish Fry in Battley's parking lot. One of their members strode up to me a shared his opinion.

"Your bike is beautiful. That," he said, waving a disdainful bent finger in the general direction of the K16, "just doesn't do it for me."

"Pleased to meet you, Brother. Yeah, me too."

I'm coming up on the first time I've ever put 100,000 miles on a single motorcycle. This - https://rollingphysicsproblem.wordpr.../time-to-ride/ -- is how that happens.

Enjoy.
gorm5 likes this.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

I can relate. The K1600 GTL is a wonderful machine, in my opinion. I rented one for a week on vacation a couple of years ago. Great ride, super fast IMO. However, the LT is much more attractive and weel thought out, in terms of design. It is a bit plain and the top case looks like it was just thrown on it for more storage. The LT flows beautifully.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Well. It's a love hate relationship. Hate when working on it.The LT is a real PITA. But when you get her rolling and dip her in the 1st hard curve and she slips into it like a letter in a mailbox. All is forgivin. Hell. You will even find yourself apologizing to her. LOL
gorm5 and ProfSnape like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:49 pm

I'm so glad you posted this, Patrick, it echoes my thoughts exactly. I'm not in a position to make epic rides like you did (yet), but I've put about 4 grand on the clock 3 or 4 hundred at a time, and I always get off with a great big smile on my face. The thing that really strikes me is almost without exception, no matter how many miles I've put on, within a minute or two of getting off I want to get right back on and ride some more. There's a LOT to be said about blowing by a crotch rocket in the high speed curves. That put a smile on my face for MILES!

I love this bike. I love it a LOT.

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 8:58 am

I haven't been on my LT since I parked it last march after a 2K round trip to FL. Needed to take it for inspection because tag was expiring. Did not look forward to riding the big girl. Been riding my air heads mostly. Near 70 yrs old, bad knee pain, bad back pain, just didn't feel up to it. Five miles back in the saddle and back in love! Rode for an hour and a half. BTW: passed inspection with 94K on the clock.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 3:41 pm

I have had my 99 LT for 8 years now. The big lady still runs perfectly but recently I have been thinking about may be replacing it with a 2 or 3 years old motorcycle model. I test rode the Triumph Trophy, the Yamaha FJR, the latest 1200RT and the Kawazaki Concours. The only one I have not ridden yet is the K1600. All fine bikes but everytime I took my old LT back after each test ride I appreciated it even more. The comfort, the style, the protection and all the Bells and Whistles. Sure it is not as fast as any of the 4 bikes I listed above but the LT definitely beats them for comfort and protection.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais

Last edited by Alpac; Aug 3rd, 2016 at 4:08 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in