8Likes
  • 5 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 2 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 12:38 am Thread Starter

Oil/Filter recommendation

Coming up on my first oil change on a 2002 LT. Is this a good oil for our LT's?: Rotella T5 15W-40 Motor Oil, 1 gal - Walmart.com

If not, what oil/filter would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 8:40 am

Re: Oil/Filter recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPManToo View Post
Coming up on my first oil change on a 2002 LT. Is this a good oil for our LT's?: Rotella T5 15W-40 Motor Oil, 1 gal - Walmart.com

If not, what oil/filter would you recommend?
Without starting another OIL thread, the standard weight for the LT engine is a 20W50. The LT engine is of the older type and likes oils high in Zink. Last time I went to WalMart, they didn't carry the 20W50 in Mobile One which is high in Zink but had a 15W50 with the 50 being the operative number to concern yourself with. There are too many opinions on what oil is better than the other and Dino VS Synthetic but it is tough to go wrong with Mobile One and Wally carries it in 15W50.

Beamer Boneyard has deals on filters including gaskets and crush washers

K1200LT (ALL MODELS)

Good luck and have fun. Be careful tightening the 3 bolts on the bottom cover plate. It doesn't take much to compress the o-ring for sealing it and just a little more to snap them off.
DanDiver, Patric, tvguy and 2 others like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 1:28 pm

I get Mobile 1 in 5qt containers at Walmart and Mobile 1 filters at Advance auto Parts. Make sure you have a filter wretch that both fits inside the engine case (the plastic ones probably won't) and fits the filter.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Without starting another OIL thread, the standard weight for the LT engine is a 20W50. The LT engine is of the older type and likes oils high in Zink. Last time I went to WalMart, they didn't carry the 20W50 in Mobile One which is high in Zink but had a 15W50 with the 50 being the operative number to concern yourself with. There are too many opinions on what oil is better than the other and Dino VS Synthetic but it is tough to go wrong with Mobile One and Wally carries it in 15W50.

Beamer Boneyard has deals on filters including gaskets and crush washers

K1200LT (ALL MODELS)

Good luck and have fun. Be careful tightening the 3 bolts on the bottom cover plate. It doesn't take much to compress the o-ring for sealing it and just a little more to snap them off.
I see many run diesel rated automobile oil since its convienent and relatively cheap. Since the LT benifits from high anti-wear additives, why wouldn't folks use motorcycle oil which contains elevated levels of those? I know it's a personal choice I'm just unclear if the LT engine is designed to run auto oils.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 5:19 pm

I've used normal Castrol 20w-50 auto oil since this brick is basically equal to a 1200 cc. car engine. Kirk's videos confirm this too. He says use anything you want to. But my bike runs hot in Texas summer heat so I tried this Quicksilver from Walmart. It's made by Mercury Marine Products. Seems to keep my bike cooler. Also like using the K&N filter with the nut for removing. The BMW stealership uses "drum engine oil" so go figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1469394664811.jpeg (825.6 KB, 88 views)
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Waiting for Charlie..

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Too many people with an opinion. Use the Mobile One this time and then do your own research so you know what you are putting in your bike and why. Doing a simple search for the word OIL on this site will provide threads with information from anyone who has an opinion on what oil is best. If you change it at the prescribed intervals, it probably doesn't matter so much which one you use as long as the weight is correct and it meets the required specifications which most premium oils do these days.

Clymer says Brand Name HD oil with API SF,SG or SH ; CD or CE are acceptable or HD CCMC G4 or G5 and the suffix PD2 is acceptable so you see, there are lots of oils that are acceptable and all will protect your engine well enough so don't make it as confusing as everyone wants to make it. Just get the right weight with the acceptable suffix and you will be fine.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 9:23 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
I've used normal Castrol 20w-50 auto oil since this brick is basically equal to a 1200 cc. car engine. Kirk's videos confirm this too. He says use anything you want to. But my bike runs hot in Texas summer heat so I tried this Quicksilver from Walmart. It's made by Mercury Marine Products. Seems to keep my bike cooler. Also like using the K&N filter with the nut for removing. The BMW stealership uses "drum engine oil" so go figure.
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't noticed that brand before. I'm in Fort Worth so heat is a bit of an issue for me as well.
ValkyrieRider likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 9:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Too many people with an opinion. Use the Mobile One this time and then do your own research so you know what you are putting in your bike and why. Doing a simple search for the word OIL on this site will provide threads with information from anyone who has an opinion on what oil is best. If you change it at the prescribed intervals, it probably doesn't matter so much which one you use as long as the weight is correct and it meets the required specifications which most premium oils do these days.

Clymer says Brand Name HD oil with API SF,SG or SH ; CD or CE are acceptable or HD CCMC G4 or G5 and the suffix PD2 is acceptable so you see, there are lots of oils that are acceptable and all will protect your engine well enough so don't make it as confusing as everyone wants to make it. Just get the right weight with the acceptable suffix and you will be fine.
During my time as a mechanic in the oil field and then riding a Harley (where oil threads are just as plentiful and educational, LOL) I learned there are differences in oil packages. Since these are not in industrial service and have relatively short change interval the most important thing is to make sure it has enough oil. I don't get to concerned about "the best" so much as proper application. I'm in a hot environment so 20-50wt is best for me, if I can find Mobil 1 MC I use that since I know the folks there and it's easy to find on the road.
tvguy and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 10:38 am

If you have a local dealer, why not use what BMW recommends and get it from your dealer? An 02 will need dealer service from time to time and local dealers need support. The oil and filter will be the least costly item for your bike and buying what the engineers recommend seems like a good idea to me. Supporting the local dealer also gives you a place for parts and the services that you can't do. Just my .02......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 6:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Regardless of what you have heard here, Yes Shell Rotella and Mobil 1 both have enough of the required zinc to support our solid lifters. That is your biggest worry as the rest of the engine does not care what you use.
tvguy likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in