Bambi's new Doo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Bambi's new Doo

Well my immortal, indestructable, God given 7th sense of detecting perilious deadly objects came to an abrupt halt last Sunday night with an abrupt meeting of olympic tryout "Bambino the third." I was leaving the first third of my home curves when the road turns to 1/2 mile of 7000 rpm happiness only to be challenged by "Bambino" the olympic gold holdout. This rather rambunctious, swift hoofed hunted hopeful was running all of 40 miles an hour when he (it) decided that both sides of the yellow line should belong to him and his offspring. Well 40' later, he now owns 1/4 of the front left fairing, a PIAA dichromatic lamp, 1/2 of a saddlebag and 1 pair of 36" soiled hanes tidy whiteys. I, have for my lifelong memories, an eye to eye account of why we were given dominion on this planet in the first place, and a dandy piece of skull and finely groomed fur as a fairing ornament. Keen observations: Deer do not wear helmets, leathers (store bought) or observe posted speed limits or double yellow road lines. Passing on the left and then merging into an obviously occupied right lane leads to an increase in a deers (deer) major medical deductable not to mention the passing of my life before my eyes which when it happened the first time wasn't really that fun to relive except for my first love Donna which passed just as fast the first time........
So, a few lessons learned: Deer are much heavier than you think they are. They do not respond to the finger, horn or boot once engaged with your steel horse. They probably do not need our kind of friends to recover from their brush with death: Bud, Jack, John, or crosseyed worms. Thank You God for reactions, and the ability to remain calm when everything else around you is being very uncooperative. And a special thank you to progressive insurance
(which I don't work for) for a $100 deductable, $1000. additional funds for aftermarket products, and no charge for anything needed to be replaced by BMW, WTIHOUT an increase in coverage. Oh, and to Bambino the third, I hope your enjoying your new doo as I will be the new HID lamps from our little encounter.

Sincererly, a very grateful shiny side up two wheeler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 8:27 pm

Damn, I'm glad to read this (re: your experience AND the Progressive kudos), but even more glad you were able to post it. Not too late to buy a lottery ticket!!!
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:05 am

Question And, what's your sixth sense?

Pete, it's good to hear you're o.k. and Progressive is good on their promise. Really, I want to know -- if sensing wildlife is your seventh sense, what's your sixth sense?

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:34 am

Dang "devil deer"...

Sounds like we have removed all "intelligent genes" from the pool. Just goes to show you what happens when the government starts to "manage" things...in this case, such as "wildlife"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:33 pm

Deer Whistle?

My brother-in-law (Harley dude) is installing a deer whistle on his bike prior to a Talamina Drive ride next weekend. He is skeptical, but his polar bear repellant has worked pretty well.

Anybody have experience with how effective a deer whistle is?

2000 - K1200 LT
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner81
My brother-in-law (Harley dude) is installing a deer whistle on his bike prior to a Talamina Drive ride next weekend. He is skeptical, but his polar bear repellant has worked pretty well.

Anybody have experience with how effective a deer whistle is?
uh oh, now you've done it, here comes a deer whistle thread. You'll find a lot of old posts on deer whistles. General consensus, save your money.
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:23 pm

The only whistle guaranteed to get a reaction is the one made towards some "dear", only problem is you never know what the reaction will be, could be almost as deadly as one of those indecisive deers.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad you made it through and that the insurance has taken care of you. Bikes can always be fixed.

We asked some hunters this weekend about local road conditions. All I could think was better that they get the deer than we do. In this case, guns are so much simpler than bikes for thinning the herd.

And go with the serious lights. They're worth it. We could actually judge the quality of lights on various bikes by asking how many deer each rider had seen on a particularly dark stretch of road. There were several dozen out there, but estimates varied from two to many.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:52 pm

I'll repeat this leetle trick I learned from living in deer country all my life: after cresting a hill or rounding a corner, flash you high beams. It makes the deer look and you can see their evil leetle eyes from a long ways off.

Also, if you see one cross the road, expect more. I've seen more folks hit deer by taking off after the first one crosses.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Glad you made it through and that the insurance has taken care of you. Bikes can always be fixed.

We asked some hunters this weekend about local road conditions. All I could think was better that they get the deer than we do. In this case, guns are so much simpler than bikes for thinning the herd.

And go with the serious lights. They're worth it. We could actually judge the quality of lights on various bikes by asking how many deer each rider had seen on a particularly dark stretch of road. There were several dozen out there, but estimates varied from two to many.
On my 100CCC I was a nervous wreck counting and preparing for all the deer through west TX. My HID low beam, Piaas under the cowl and the mighty Hella micros lit up everything from fence to fence on the slab. In CA I talked to other riders who said they only saw a few of the horned rats, yes more light = more sightings. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:58 pm

Think I've said it before on this forum, but the damned deer are my biggest worry in my neck of the woods. They are totally fearless and don't even move for cars, trucks, OR motorcycles. Had a whole line of cars backed up just up the road a piece 'cause the stubborn things (and I thought that was just mules!) wouldn't get off the road. Kid in the front car finally got out, ran up to the one closest to their car and hit it on the ass. THEN it decided maybe it was time to move on. Of course not in any big hurry though...

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Deer Problem

We had a County Sheriff here in Jasper County Indiana who was once quoted as saying "The biggest problem we have here are the Deer!" While that might be a slight exaggeration, I have consistently said that Deer worry me more than any single other hazzard when I am riding. Good luck to us all. jrlakin
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you made it through the encounter ok. How much chilli meat did he trim out to?
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 8:36 pm
Prodigal Son

Exclamation A little aside--

recent insurance institute study showed---Deer whistles---WORTHLESS----only way to really decrease deer collisions were--fences--lights and "active" sensor signs that detect animal movement and flash a warning..

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Deer Whistles are for Harleys

It certainly brings a certain amount of satisfaction knowing the brother-in-law not only purchased the wrong ride (Harley) but continues to adorn it with worthless chrome.

2000 - K1200 LT
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 6:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by early1
recent insurance institute study showed---Deer whistles---WORTHLESS----only way to really decrease deer collisions were--fences--lights and "active" sensor signs that detect animal movement and flash a warning..
Ed, Ed, Ed, Ed, Ed.

You know not what you speak. I have a set on my filing cabinet in the gearage. It hasn't hit a deer yet. Only way to really decrease deer collision ARE large caliber automatic weapons. C'mon, man! Am I gonna have to break out the cattle prod again?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'll repeat this leetle trick I learned from living in deer country all my life: after cresting a hill or rounding a corner, flash you high beams. It makes the deer look and you can see their evil leetle eyes from a long ways off.

Also, if you see one cross the road, expect more. I've seen more folks hit deer by taking off after the first one crosses.
Long-legged squirrels is what they are. Glad you're okay.

Last seat pucker I received from a deer sighting was on IH-10 heading west out of Kerrville. Very dense fog...very dense deer standing in the middle of the right hand lane over the crest of a hill. Swerved to miss the deer and succeeded by inches. (It swerved the same way I did.) [email protected]#$#$% woodland rat. Glad the fog kept my speed way down...
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashToo
Long-legged squirrels is what they are. Glad you're okay.

Last seat pucker I received from a deer sighting was on IH-10 heading west out of Kerrville. Very dense fog...very dense deer standing in the middle of the right hand lane over the crest of a hill. Swerved to miss the deer and succeeded by inches. (It swerved the same way I did.) [email protected]#$#$% woodland rat. Glad the fog kept my speed way down...
For some reason, they're real bad right there.

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in