New to me tranny noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By vernvernvern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Question New to me tranny noise

Just changed the tranny oil and only had some fine metal slivers on the drain plug.

Rode easy for a couple mornings but later decided to take my (8) 40 mph curves in at 60 and out near 80. Usually in 3rd gear powering out but shifted into 4th as I came on out on a couple. The noise I've heard (only in 4th) I first thought was a spark plug misfire, but finally decided it must be a sprocket jumping a cog in the tranny. Runs smooth slowing and cruising, but under full power I can make it sound like a cog jump.

Anything like this happen to someone else and what did they/you find out?
Thanks in advance for serious comments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Re: New to me tranny noise

The transmission relies on "dogs" small interlocking pieces next to and part of the gears via splines to engage the gears. These wear for various reasons. This bike has flat dogs as opposed to ones with 2 or 3 degrees of interlocking face contact. Yours are worn out and slipping under the right circumstances. The rebuild of this transmission is near or above 2000$. Then there is the 8 hours labor to remove and install it. It is an old bike. You need to make a decision. Sorry. There are a couple of shops on the east coast that rebuild these if you go that way. Some internet searching will get you there. These bikes are being scrapped out these days. A used but good tranny would be the easy way to go. I even think there is a scrap on on this forum. If you do pull the transmission, do "the" oring in the final engine seal area, probably a clutch and then fresh seals in the tranny plus an new slave cylinder and all rubber parts that are exposed while doing this work. When all done you will have another hundred thou miles. Or find a low mileage bike and start over.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
The transmission relies on "dogs" small interlocking pieces next to and part of the gears via splines to engage the gears. These wear for various reasons. This bike has flat dogs as opposed to ones with 2 or 3 degrees of interlocking face contact. Yours are worn out and slipping under the right circumstances. The rebuild of this transmission is near or above 2000$. Then there is the 8 hours labor to remove and install it. It is an old bike. You need to make a decision. Sorry. There are a couple of shops on the east coast that rebuild these if you go that way. Some internet searching will get you there. These bikes are being scrapped out these days. A used but good tranny would be the easy way to go. I even think there is a scrap on on this forum. If you do pull the transmission, do "the" oring in the final engine seal area, probably a clutch and then fresh seals in the tranny plus an new slave cylinder and all rubber parts that are exposed while doing this work. When all done you will have another hundred thou miles. Or find a low mileage bike and start over.
Yep, I believe you are right on. I wasn't sure what the gear shapes were in the tranny.
I do have my tranny from the '03 I had. It's probably worn out too. Ugh!
I turned 76 last Monday so think for now I'll just keep riding it as it is.
Thanks for you input.
Patric likes this.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 7:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have been in several transmissions with 100 K + and never saw a worn dog. These pics are from one that had 120K on it. Bearings yes but dogs no.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inter 4th.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	112994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inter 5th.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	113002   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4416.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	113010  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks jzeiler . Good pics. Still not sure what I'm hearing. Gonna think on it awhile before I decide what to do. Way to big a job for my gravel floored garage. I can crawl around for general maintenance, but not this.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have been in several transmissions with 100 K + and never saw a worn dog. These pics are from one that had 120K on it. Bearings yes but dogs no.
How about wear on shift drum and forks? Or a bent fork? These can cause issues with staying in gear.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
How about wear on shift drum and forks? Or a bent fork? These can cause issues with staying in gear.
But, wouldn't a bent fork show up in ALL gears under power and not just 4th?

Bottom line is that I need a different transmission installed.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 11:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern View Post
But, wouldn't a bent fork show up in ALL gears under power and not just 4th?

Bottom line is that I need a different transmission installed.
No, generally, each fork only can engage two gears as it can slide the collar only two directions. Most transmissions have two or three shift forks. I would have to check the manual and I'm camping at the moment, but I think the LT has three forks. Could also check Kirk's video.

You likely don't need a different transmission, but that may be the easiest fix.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: New to me tranny noise

Update 7/25/2016.

Transmission locked up in 4th on my morning ride about 8 miles from home. I left a 75 foot tire mark/slide on the asphalt. Glad the road was straight and I kept it on the road. YeeHaa!

I have the bike in neutral, but rear wheel still won't turn/rotate. I had help getting it on my trailer and will stay there until I figure a method of getting it off.
I suspect I'll list it on Ebay with pics soon. $1800 bucks. I'll list it as a fix'er upper.

So I will be looking for a '02. '03, Or '4 with less than 70,000 miles on it.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2016, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Here's a pic or two. Bike is for sale $1800
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02822.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	113146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02817.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	113154   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02815.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	113162   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02820.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	113170  

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2016, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Listed this 2002 bike on Ebay. Item #162152831743 vernvernvern 7/29/2016 for 7 days Starting price is $1200.

I tried to put it on the classifieds here but don't think it got posted

Thanks, Vern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in