• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Sleuth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Timing is everything. Please advise.

Hey all. I was riding around on my fairly new to me LT running a few errands when my fuel light popped on. A few minutes later, I pull in to fill up my tank. I fill her up on the side stand. She took 5.6 gallons. I turn her back on only to find that the gas light was still on and my BC was still telling me I had 37 miles before empty.

I kept riding and over the course of the next 25 minutes, the fuel level gradually crept up to where it should be followed by the BC finally indicating 200+ miles to empty. Here's the problem: I am heading to Canada tomorrow at 5:30am. If anyone else has experienced this, can you tell me...

1. Is this something I should be overly concerned about?

2. Is it likely to happen again?

3. If I have to, I can use the odometer as a gas gauge, but is there a chance that the LT will stop running because it "thinks" it is out of gas??

I have another option. I can always take my trusty Valkyrie but that will be SO disappointing as I bought the LT with trips like this in mind.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway

Last edited by gorm5; Jul 20th, 2016 at 10:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Re: Timing is everything. Please advise.

Fuel gauge work?

I use the trip odometer and the gauge and get gas at 222 miles. Have never run out of fuel. Light comes on at about 240 miles and still have enough fuel to get to a station. Mine is an '02 LT, so yours might be a little different acting. I guess it could be you fuel gauge float hanging up. That can be fixed if it isn't bent to bad.
Sleuth and gorm5 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Common "problem" that isn't a problem. If I leave the key on when I get gas (so the alarm doesn't set), it takes forever for the fuel gauge to read properly. Maybe part of the gauge "damping" so it doesn't change as you lean left or right. If I turn the key as far to the left as it will go, without locking the handlebars, when I fill it reads like it should. I'm in the habit of turning the key all the way to the left so that the GPS powers down as it is powered by the map light.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Garage

sounds like a bent filler tube, from letting the fuel pump nozzle dangle in the tank instead of hanging on to it, shouldn't do it with a LT, if it is, its fixable but you have you remove the fuel pump assembly to straighten it out.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern View Post
Fuel gauge work?

I use the trip odometer and the gauge and get gas at 222 miles. Have never run out of fuel. Light comes on at about 240 miles and still have enough fuel to get to a station. Mine is an '02 LT, so yours might be a little different acting. I guess it could be you fuel gauge float hanging up. That can be fixed if it isn't bent to bad.
At the time this was occurring, the fuel gauge was not functioning properly. It read as if there was still very little gas left in the tank.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern View Post
Fuel gauge work?

+1 on trip odo. Take the bike so you can learn how it reacts for all the component parts. Check tires for leakage often (42/48psi).... all the things that you're familiar with on the Val, you'll become accustomed to on the LT. I firmly believe that no two of them are the same. LOL

Have fun,
Jer
Sleuth and gorm5 like this.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Common "problem" that isn't a problem. If I leave the key on when I get gas (so the alarm doesn't set), it takes forever for the fuel gauge to read properly. Maybe part of the gauge "damping" so it doesn't change as you lean left or right. If I turn the key as far to the left as it will go, without locking the handlebars, when I fill it reads like it should. I'm in the habit of turning the key all the way to the left so that the GPS powers down as it is powered by the map light.
Ok. Now that you mention it, I think I did turn the bike back on while I was fueling. Hopefully that was the problem. I don't need any extra drama in Canada. This makes me feel more at ease. Thank you!
2Wheelroadtrip likes this.

Patrick Russell

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
+1 on trip odo. Take the bike so you can learn how it reacts for all the component parts. Check tires for leakage often (42/48psi).... all the things that you're familiar with on the Val, you'll become accustomed to on the LT. I firmly believe that no two of them are the same. LOL

Have fun,
Jer
Ha ha! You're right. The Valkyrie does not have a fuel gauge. But, dammit, that (having a fuel gauge) was one of the many things that excited me about getting a second bike.

Patrick Russell

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 12:29 am
Cat Herder

Garage

the gas gauge on my '02 LT NEVER worked worth a crap.... The BC ran me out of gas twice... so don't put to much faith in that. Use it as a reference only...
ibbones likes this.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #10 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 3:47 am

Garage

Ok, you have an LT, and I have an RT - just two letters in between

While not as extreme, I have also had the slow creep of distance to empty. The fuel gauge does sometimes take a minute or two to react (and I turn the bike completely off - I need the key to open the fuel cap.)

Many years ago, I rode a Suzuki GP100 which did not have a petrol gauge, I learnt the art of resetting the odometer each and every time I filled up. I decided a distance which triggered the fuel search (then it was 100 miles - 160km) This habit I have continued, though with the RT's fuel gauge I tend to fill up between - empty. The full mark I have found has given me about range of 300 km, with about 100km of reserve. Of course I know consumption varies, but with a 100km you should be able to get to a chosen petrol station without issue.

My point? I think the old adage of know your vehicle applies. If you have an idea of how far you can push her, then you are independent of the fuel gauge. Though it is a very useful tool!

Just my two cents/pence worth!
gorm5 likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Hey all. I was riding around on my fairly new to me LT running a few errands when my fuel light popped on. A few minutes later, I pull in to fill up my tank. I fill her up on the side stand. She took 5.6 gallons. I turn her back on only to find that the gas light was still on and my BC was still telling me I had 37 miles before empty.

I kept riding and over the course of the next 25 minutes, the fuel level gradually crept up to where it should be followed by the BC finally indicating 200+ miles to empty. Here's the problem: I am heading to Canada tomorrow at 5:30am. If anyone else has experienced this, can you tell me...

3. If I have to, I can use the odometer as a gas gauge, but is there a chance that the LT will stop running because it "thinks" it is out of gas??

I have another option. I can always take my trusty Valkyrie but that will be SO disappointing as I bought the LT with trips like this in mind.

I had this happen one time. I am not 100% sure of the cause, but I think it was because I had the key on while refueling. I normally don't do that as I need the key to unlock my cap.

I record every fill-up and my wife writes in my logbook while I am refueling. At one stop in Nova Scotia, I forgot to note the odometer so I believe I removed the key from the cap and turned the bike back on to read the odo. I think I then fueled with the key on.

I am guessing here, but I suspect there is logic in the ECU that checks the fuel level during the initiation sequence and knows a fill-up has occurred if there is a drastic change in level since last shutdown. If the key is on, it assumes the level is changing due to normal fuel use and normal sloshing and I suspect has a filter to damp out rapid sloshing transients. After 10 miles or so, the level slowly climbed to normal.

And even if your gauge died, no reason to not ride it. Set the trip meter and stop every 220 miles or so. I always reset at least one trip meter as a cross check against my fuel gauge and light.
gorm5 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 1:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post

I'd lean towards the power on during fill up as others have suggested. I don't think it's a dented fuel sender tube since the fuel gauge rose to the top. If it was dented the float would generally stop somewhere well below full. It is possible it's a slight dent but unlikely. To verify you can try and look through the fuel filler hole to look at the tube or pull the right side plastic off and pull the sender unit off. You do not need to pull the fuel pump assembly to check for the dent, completely different part and place in the tank.

Take it on your trip and watch your trip odometer. Maybe carry an emergency fuel can in case of an "oh-crap" but you should be fine.
gorm5 likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
I'd lean towards the power on during fill up as others have suggested. I don't think it's a dented fuel sender tube since the fuel gauge rose to the top. If it was dented the float would generally stop somewhere well below full. It is possible it's a slight dent but unlikely. To verify you can try and look through the fuel filler hole to look at the tube or pull the right side plastic off and pull the sender unit off. You do not need to pull the fuel pump assembly to check for the dent, completely different part and place in the tank.

Take it on your trip and watch your trip odometer. Maybe carry an emergency fuel can in case of an "oh-crap" but you should be fine.
Sounds right.
I had an 02 with a slightly bent tube. The guage would only read a little above 3/4 when full and it would read that amount in the normal time frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 3:17 pm

This happened to me at Spring training/K1600 TTD. It was the first time I had let the tank run down to light the fuel light came on. and I always fuel with the key off. It stayed at empty for quite awhile and I wondered if it would ever come back.

I have since taken the sending tube out for inspection and there is no damage and the float moved easily top to bottom with gravity.

No reason I found mechanically for the issue but it did happen.
gorm5 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #15 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 7:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have had slow gauge indications but they are rare. One thing that will help your MTE accuracy is to periodically reset the MPG setting as this is a factor in the MTE algorithms along with fuel level.
gorm5 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, gents. All is well. I made it to Canada just fine and will start to tackle the Grand Algoma Loop tomorrow. I gassed up a few times and made sure the bike was completely off the whole time. Worked perfectly. The only issue I had was a sore @$$ after about 10 hours. The Air Hawk seat pad is really helpful, but not perfect.

Patrick Russell

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 5:03 am

Garage

Glad to hear the trip to Canada has gone ok.

Good luck on the next leg.
gorm5 likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT

There is no problem

Just ride it

Happens to me all the time depending on what I am doing while filling the tank.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #19 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 9:06 am

Garage

I also heard that charcoal canister clog can caused suction in tank to collapse and bend fuel level sensor. Removed my canister as soon as I heard of this issue. My 00 has a few low tech things like fuel gauge that are better off low tech

2000 K1200LT & 86 K75 for fun again

Prev rides
1992 BMW K75
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1985 Goldwing
1977 Yamaha RD400
1982 Honda MB5
1979 Yamaha XS 650

if it ain't fun, don't own it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in