6Likes
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 2 Post By OKUIII
  • 1 Post By mcracer
  • 2 Post By BeemerJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

ABS control module failure AGAIN

Does anyone happen to have a good used abs module for a 2000 K1200LT they'd like to sell? Had mine rebuilt last year and have only put about 200 miles on it and it has failed again. Rebuilding company is refunding my money to honor their 5 year warantee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 8:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: ABS control module failure AGAIN

Did you verify the failure code? It can be caused by a weak battery or failed wheel sensor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Could be a bad sensor too.
radar41 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Definitely a bad piston.
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 10:43 am

I don't know what makes the piston "bad" but if the piston is worn out from contaminants in the brake fluid, maybe you could take the mechanical parts of the pump to a local machine shop and have them polish the bore of the cylinder(s) and make you a new piston? ...that might be cheaper than buying a replacement pump... or taking a chance on a used pump.

Just a random thought... hope you find it helpful.

-John

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 7:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The stuck piston fault is fairly easy to fix. Here is the procedure .

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 31st, 2016, 8:42 am Thread Starter

a stuck piston did not happen to be my issue. The piston seal was bad and leaking fluid into/inside the the unit instead of applying pressure to the wheel cylinders. From what I understand there is no seal kit available. What as done in the rebuild (by Module Masters) was to install a set of used seals. After an $800 repair bill from the dealer to diagnose/remove/reinstall my abs unit I was not able to put another 200 miles on the bike before the abs wig wag lights come on again. Module Masters did offer to try the repair again, but, would not provide the warrantee any more. They told me mine was the first time they saw this. They also offered to refund the rebuild price, which I ended up doing. After purchasing another unit (used) and another $400 labor charge, that unit was also bad. At the current trade in value of $2500 for a fully functional bike, to which my dealer stated he would not take a k1200lt regardless of condition (because of warrantee issues) I am left with 2 choices. Part the bike out with 18k miles, or bypass/remove the abs unit. Does anyone know of a brake line union to connect the two different size male fittings after disconnecting the lines from the controller? This seams like it would be the easiest way to bypass the unit. Maybe someone has dimensions/sizes of custom lines from the master to the wheel cylinders? Again the bike is a 2000.
post #8 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
a stuck piston did not happen to be my issue. The piston seal was bad and leaking fluid into/inside the the unit instead of applying pressure to the wheel cylinders. From what I understand there is no seal kit available. What as done in the rebuild (by Module Masters) was to install a set of used seals. After an $800 repair bill from the dealer to diagnose/remove/reinstall my abs unit I was not able to put another 200 miles on the bike before the abs wig wag lights come on again. Module Masters did offer to try the repair again, but, would not provide the warrantee any more. They told me mine was the first time they saw this. They also offered to refund the rebuild price, which I ended up doing. After purchasing another unit (used) and another $400 labor charge, that unit was also bad. At the current trade in value of $2500 for a fully functional bike, to which my dealer stated he would not take a k1200lt regardless of condition (because of warrantee issues) I am left with 2 choices. Part the bike out with 18k miles, or bypass/remove the abs unit. Does anyone know of a brake line union to connect the two different size male fittings after disconnecting the lines from the controller? This seams like it would be the easiest way to bypass the unit. Maybe someone has dimensions/sizes of custom lines from the master to the wheel cylinders? Again the bike is a 2000.
You still have normal brakes...Why not just take out the ABS lights and ride with normal brakes
beech and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 1:07 pm

Bikes and modern cars sometimes have done their duty after 15 years. Parts are not available or too expensive to justify their use. If you insist on using the bike (rather than parting it out) you could disable the lamps. I suggest taking a deep breath and thinking about a new bike (newer as the case may be) and move on from your old friend. From a safety standpoint a newer bike certainly would be a good thing.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 7:25 pm

Garage

I thought I read here from John Z that you could un-plug the ABSII plug and disable the system. That would be the same plug that has pin-21 in it for the long-version of ABS reset without a GS911.

IF that is correct, are there any side effects? Other than possibly wrapping the connector in a plastic bag and making it water tight. Any thoughts.

ABSII wig-wag failure.. Update 8/1/16;
I have a GS911, Fault says "PLUNGER TEST FAULT" I replaced my battery with a new Odyssey PC680, I have replaced the brake lines and bled the system multiple times. My brake pressure is great and the brakes are solid. Voltage is perfect... save all the "what ifs" I reset the fault and the roll away test passes. I ride 80-100 miles and it faults again!

All is correct except a 16 years old part that is more expensive to maintain than it is worth!

Removing the dash lights won't stop the relay that keeps toggling from running anytime the bike is being used. I want to rip the entire system out and that's my goal. More than frustrated!

I'm leaving on a 3000 mile ride to Canada this week and would rather not have the wig-wag fault relay running the entire trip. AHHHHH...

2000 BMW K1200LT
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 Kaw KX250
1974 Kaw KX250
1981 Yam YZ465

Last edited by mcracer; Aug 1st, 2016 at 8:16 pm.
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 8:29 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My wig-wag has been flashing for 3 years now on my 2000 LT. I put electrical tape over the 2 lights & can only see a little bit of light at night blinking.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 9:08 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
My wig-wag has been flashing for 3 years now on my 2000 LT. I put electrical tape over the 2 lights & can only see a little bit of light at night blinking.
Yea Dave, I hear you. I did the tape also between resets (2 pieces because I ride to work at 4am, always dark).

I think with the right adapters, the pump could be completely removed and brake lines could be routed directly to the calibers front and rear.
Mark65 likes this.

2000 BMW K1200LT
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 Kaw KX250
1974 Kaw KX250
1981 Yam YZ465

post #13 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
Yea Dave, I hear you. I did the tape also between resets (2 pieces because I ride to work at 4am, always dark).

I think with the right adapters, the pump could be completely removed and brake lines could be routed directly to the calibers front and rear.
I'm thinking the exact same thing. My question is, if I'm running brake fluid directly from the reservoirs to the calipers, do I still have safe braking? Or is it akin to the dreaded residual braking?

If squeezing tighter (or stomping harder) on the brakes will still haul the big girl down from speed, then I'm not worried at all about an ABS/Servo failure (well, except for the trip I'm on at the time, of course). If that isn't the case, then I'll need to invest in a spare pump, and pronto!

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #14 of 21 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 10:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
I'm thinking the exact same thing. My question is, if I'm running brake fluid directly from the reservoirs to the calipers, do I still have safe braking? Or is it akin to the dreaded residual braking?

If squeezing tighter (or stomping harder) on the brakes will still haul the big girl down from speed, then I'm not worried at all about an ABS/Servo failure (well, except for the trip I'm on at the time, of course). If that isn't the case, then I'll need to invest in a spare pump, and pronto!

Mark
In your case the unit must be bypassed if you want full braking. There is not enough residual when the servos crap out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 7:56 am

Garage

Had the pleasure of talking with Saddleman last night, and he explained to me how he just plugged his unit up, and ran straight lines to the brakes (like conventional motorcycle brakes) Disconnected the proper wires and a couple of relays, and the system has worked properly for him. No lights and speedo works perfectly. I'm not having issues, but good to know that there is a simple way to bypass the system. Give him a shout if you are having issues. Very informative.
Patric and mcracer like this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

I have my gas tank removed. Where exactly is the wig wag relay I can pull out to stop the lights? A new bike will just have to wait a little longer. Just got the new truck I needed for work.
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Think I found it. Blueish green relay on top left? All the other relays were black.
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 10:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is #2 in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay ID 1.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	113474  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

So I got my brake lines figured out (30 bucks and a trip to NAPA), pulled the relay (#2 in the above picture), let gravity bleed my bakes, and started to put things back together. Before getting to far, I wanted to test what was functioning and what might not be. Speedo "check", brake lights "check"... in fact... everything seemed to be working, including the right abs idiot light. My understanding was pulling the relay would disable the lights. What am I missing? I'm trying not to destroy anything (cut wires) just in case the the next owner feels the need to put everything back...for whatever reason.
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 8:41 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Pulling the relay only disables one light bulb. You have to remove the other light bulb.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #21 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2016, 8:38 am Thread Starter

OK Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in