Modified 30MM socket kit - *no longer available* - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Modified 30MM socket kit - *no longer available*

Due to the overwhelming response to this offer and due to the overwhelming amount of labor to put these kits together - I am no longer able to accept orders. PLEASE DO NOT SEND A REQUEST OR MONEY as I will have to return it to you.

Edit by Randy Prade at the request of David Shealey

I am starting this new thread to take orders for the sockets that quite a few people have stated they wanted in another thread. This will be the 12 point, 30MM deep socket with the "window" cut in the side needed to properly torque the swing arm and final drive pivot assemblies. It will also include the needed 12 MM allen wrench. Someone suggested adding a 6" drill for drilling the slave cylinder drain holes, which will be about $4 more. It will be a 5/32 dia, 6" long, 135 deg. split point polished finish drill, best for aluminum. The kit will be the modified socket, 12 MM allen wrench, and long drill.

I have added up all the costs, and with the taxes and shipping I will have to cover to get the supplies to me, and the shipping to everyone, the kit with the drill will be $41. Without the drill it will be $37.

It would be easier for me if all kits were the same, less to keep track of and easier to order the supplies, but if you want the drill left off make that known when you order. I realize probably not everyone will be drilling the drain holes.

I would appreciate as many people as can to make payment to me by PayPal, since this is going to be a sizeable outlay to get the components to start the machining. I will accept a few "check in the mail" orders, but many of those and shipments will be delayed.

Make paypal payments to:
[email protected]

Checks/Money Orders may be sent to:
David Shealey
3010 Calle Mesquite
Jamul, CA 91935-1129

If I get enough payments ahead to place the order, I should be able to start shipping a few by next weekend, IF the supplier has enough 30MM sockets on hand, if any are back ordered (likely), that will delay some shipments, first come first served!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by randy; Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:40 pm

David,

I'll take a full kit, wil send my address with paypal.

Jeff Mense

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 83 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Hi David,
Payment was sent by Paypal.
I will take the full kit, even do my bike already have the case drilled. It's good to have it handy.

Thank you for your efford in doing it for us.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #4 of 83 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Howdy David,

Thanks for doing this, you're the man!

I'll take one with everything! PayPal sent!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #5 of 83 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Smile Paid by Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Make paypal payments to:
[email protected]
If I get enough payments ahead to place the order, I should be able to start shipping a few by next weekend, IF the supplier has enough 30MM sockets on hand, if any are back ordered (likely), that will delay some shipments, first come first served!
Thanks for taking care of this David! I've already sent you funds via Paypal.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #6 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 5:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for doing this Dave. I Paypal'd my money to you. Now I just need to find time to work on the bike.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
post #7 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 6:57 am

Full kit

David,
Thanks for doing this and saving me the trouble.
A nice service you are providing.
PayPal coming directly.
post #8 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:02 am
Gold Supporter

Thanks David. Pay pal for two kits is on the way.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #9 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:30 am

Thanks David. Payment has been sent.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:47 am

Paypal sent.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #11 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 8:27 am

Paypal payment sent for full kit....many thanks.

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

post #12 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:00 am

Complet Kit

David,

I sent you $41.00 for the complete kit with my address by PayPal. I sure want to thank you for this service. I had been in the process of trying to get a socket modified.

Jerry Mathison

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #13 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 2:06 pm
ajs

Modified 30 mm socket

This is a very timely opportunity. I am getting ready to put my bike up for the winter in the basement. I plan to do some routine and not so routine maintenance on it to get her ready for a two-up cross Canada trip next year. It would be great to have the slave cylinder housing hole procedure out of the way for the trip.

Your tool kit, and the very detailed instructions posted here by 'kevincook', is just what I need to do that job. I will be sending payment for the full kit by PayPal as soon as I can today. I don't do this PayPal thing very often so I would appreciate it if you could confirm receipt.

Also, while I'm at it I would like to thank you and many many others on this site for all the help you have provided me in the past. I live in an area that is just about diagonally opposite from you on this continent but it's great to know help for anything KLT related is just as close as my key board. The bike is a joy to own and ride, this site makes it an even greater joy.

Thanks again,
Austin Sutton
post #14 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
---------------- I don't do this PayPal thing very often so I would appreciate it if you could confirm receipt.--------------
Yes, got it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Update!

As I assumed, the sockets are not all in stock. The supplier can ship 10 next week, the remainder will take an additional week. I really did not expect even large supplier to have all that many in stock at any one time. Hopefully I will be shipping to the first 10 responders next weekend. The rest will likely be by the following weekend.

Looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time after work machining sockets!

If you are thinking about this, try to decide by Sunday night! I will order Monday, the quantity based on orders received, and this will likely be a one time deal. I may order a small number of extras, but I may not accept any further orders after those are gone.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #16 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 4:07 pm

Quote:
I am starting this new thread to take orders for the sockets that quite a few people have stated they wanted in another thread. This will be the 12 point, 30MM deep socket with the "window" cut in the side needed to properly torque the swing arm and final drive pivot assemblies. It will also include the needed 12 MM allen wrench. Someone suggested adding a 6" drill for drilling the slave cylinder drain holes, which will be about $4 more. It will be a 5/32 dia, 6" long, 135 deg. split point polished finish drill, best for aluminum. The kit will be the modified socket, 12 MM allen wrench, and long drill.

I have added up all the costs, and with the taxes and shipping I will have to cover to get the supplies to me, and the shipping to everyone, the kit with the drill will be $41. Without the drill it will be $37.

It would be easier for me if all kits were the same, less to keep track of and easier to order the supplies, but if you want the drill left off make that known when you order. I realize probably not everyone will be drilling the drain holes.

I would appreciate as many people as can to make payment to me by PayPal, since this is going to be a sizeable outlay to get the components to start the machining. I will accept a few "check in the mail" orders, but many of those and shipments will be delayed.

Make paypal payments to:
[email protected]

Checks/Money Orders may be sent to:
David Shealey
3010 Calle Mesquite
Jamul, CA 91935-1129

Dave,

Thanks for taking this on!! PayPal sent . I'd like the full kit, but I can play along w/ whatever the collective and you come up with.

-Richard

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room

Last edited by varoom; Oct 21st, 2006 at 4:12 pm.
post #17 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm

Fulll order paid via paypal

David:
Have made payment for full kit via pay pal.
Thank you very very very much.
You are GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #18 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 8:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

David,

Thanks for the great job. I am in no rush so send it when you get it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:13 pm

Thumbs up Thanks

Just sent Paypal for the full kit. Thanks for doing this.
Doug Matson

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; Oct 21st, 2006 at 9:19 pm.
post #20 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:15 pm

Sent

Thanks Dave!

Good luck with it all.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #21 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Hopefully I will be shipping to the first 10 responders next weekend. The rest will likely be by the following weekend.

David,
if my order was one of the first 10, I don't need it right now and you can ship it to one of those guys who are actualy doing the service soon. You can put me on the second batch.

Thank you
Elton

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #22 of 83 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:10 pm

David,

Thanks for your continued interest in our bikes and putting these tools together. I've sent my payment by Email today.

Thanks again.

Jerry
post #23 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:15 am

Ditto on the full kit. Paypal payment sent.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #24 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:49 am

Thumbs up Count me in

Paypal sent. No urgent need. Thanks for doing this.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #25 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
David,
if my order was one of the first 10, I don't need it right now and you can ship it to one of those guys who are actualy doing the service soon. You can put me on the second batch.

Thank you
Elton
Thanks Elton! Actually you were the first order. I did have one person wanting to pull his bike apart next weekend, so I will send him one from the first batch. It was kind of you to do this, and I know that member will be happy, since he was 22nd in line.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #26 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 2:23 pm

Check in snail, am not in hurry.
Thanks for this custom tool oppoutunity.
Rick Bates

99 KLT "WEITER"
85 Kaw VN700 "The Teenager"

CWA Local 4900
Principles are how you act when no one is looking.
post #27 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_b8s
Check in snail, am not in hurry.
Thanks for this custom tool oppoutunity.
Rick Bates
OK, you are on the list.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #28 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Last Call!

I will be ordering all the items tomorrow morning, so the cut off for orders to be accepted will be tomorrow, Monday, Oct. 23, 9:00 AM Pacific time. I will be ordering based on the quantity ordered at that time.

If you wish to order by mailed check, be sure you notify me to get on the list by that time. Do not just mail a check without letting me know it is coming, or it will likely be returned.

I will probably build up a couple extra sets, but don't plan do do any more after this batch.

The numbers are higher than I ever expected, so in the future it looks like there will probably be someone close by around the country to loan theirs out.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #29 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:05 pm

Check for $41 to go in mail tomorrow morning. Hopefully won't need socket kit for a couple more yrs.

Thank you David for this generous offer. I appreciate learning how to do this task from you a few months back at Elton's service party.
post #30 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:40 pm

Paypal sent! No rush. Thanks David.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #31 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

Thanks

I will send a check to you tomorrow for 41.00 . Thanks for taking the time to help.
post #32 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:14 pm

Hi, David -- I'm in for the full kit, too. I'll paypal you asap; dealing with a passing in the family right now, so it will be in the next day or so. Also, no rush on mine, either.

Thanks for going through all the effort this will entail for "The Collective's" benefit!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #33 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:34 pm

I'll take a full kit, I'm sending a postal MO on Monday.

I caution everyone with trusting Pay-pal with your monies

Thanks in advance

Brad
post #34 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:45 pm

Smile

David:
I sent pay pal yesterday and I'm in no hurry either so if you know someone in need put me on the last list and ship when you have everyone taken care of.
Mike Burke
new to me 2000 LTS
post #35 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:55 pm

Socket Order

David, finally got paypal to work, I think, would like to get confirmation from you also. Also, I am in no big rush.
Thanks.
Elven
post #36 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 6:46 pm

David, I Paypal'd you for a full kit yesterday.

My thanks to you for making these available as well.

Regards,
-joel
post #37 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up

David:
I sent pay-pal for the full kit. I am in no big rush.

Thanks
Bill

Bill Van den Noort
2000 K1200lt
2017 R1200rt
Bmw Moa#96083
Bmw Ra #31818

post #38 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:51 pm

Pay Pal sent for full kit
Thanks David for your efforts.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #39 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:51 pm

For anybody who is undecided don't pass this up. Not only is David's work excellant but the price is a bargain. I paid almost that much just to have a machine shop cut the window. Add in my cost for a hard to find socket and I paid a lot more.
post #40 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:48 pm

Sent PPal for "socket" only.. thanks!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #41 of 83 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:59 pm

David,

I sent a pay-pal payment for the full kit. Thank you for offereing this.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #42 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:20 am

Complete kit please

Hi Dave,
if I did everything correctly you should have a paypal payment from me.

No rush on shipping. I will probably not start this project until spring.

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #43 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:32 am

Sending PayPal payment out today for "1" full kit. I will include mailing address along with the $41 dollars.

Thanks

Perry Ridgway
Marietta, GA

Last edited by oknplm; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 7:48 am.
post #44 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:43 am

I am sending a check Monday for the full kit. Thank you for doing this. No hurry on shipping.
post #45 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Yet another update:

Well, when I checked stock a couple days ago, I could get 10 this week, but this morning I placed the order and there will only be 5 this week, the remainder will be within 2 weeks.

When I started this little adventure I was thinking 5-10 would be ordered. SURPRISE! This morning I ordered 50 sets!!!!

I will get the first five out by the end of the week, the remainder a few days after I receive the back ordered sockets. Gonna be spending a few hours standing in front of a milling machine!

As I did on mine, I will be cutting a little bit off the short end of the 12 MM hex so that the window in the socket is a reasonable size. I will include the cut off portion which can be used with a standard 12 MM socket so that you don't have to buy a 12mm socket bit.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #46 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:52 pm

David,

Your making a lot of people happy. I don't need one but I sure do appreciate the effort you are putting into this.

I sure hope that is a CNC milling machine

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #47 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:32 pm

Question

Hi David, I just got back from the Fort Bragg ride half an hour ago, and therefore missed the deadline...!
Is it too late to get a full kit? Please let me know.
Thank you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #48 of 83 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:51 pm

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Hi David, I just got back from the Fort Bragg ride half an hour ago, and therefore missed the deadline...!
Is it too late to get a full kit? Please let me know.
Thank you!
Ditto here as well David. And I do check the site religiously, but the Motel had no internet access! And we were there till Sunday, with several of us on the road till this afternoon. I scanned the orders, and it doesn't look like any of us Pac Nor Westers got an order in! If we get one up here, we will most definitely share it!

I really don't expect any special treatment, Lord you're already doing a ton of good by offering to put the kits together. But please do understand that there are probably quite a few of us out there who will be interested in the kits if you ever get bored enough to tool up some again!

Tks again for all that you do for the group here!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #49 of 83 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Ditto here as well David. And I do check the site religiously, but the Motel had no internet access! And we were there till Sunday, with several of us on the road till this afternoon. I scanned the orders, and it doesn't look like any of us Pac Nor Westers got an order in! If we get one up here, we will most definitely share it!

I really don't expect any special treatment, Lord you're already doing a ton of good by offering to put the kits together. But please do understand that there are probably quite a few of us out there who will be interested in the kits if you ever get bored enough to tool up some again!

Tks again for all that you do for the group here!

John
Thanks David for making these available for the group. I made my own and now have a milling machine available to make more up here in the PacNWet. If your orders exceed what you want to make available. I can do a couple at a time as needed.

John,
If you need one you can either borrow mine or I can make a few for the NW guys. Let me know.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #50 of 83 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I've got a few extra 30mm sockets up here already. Ernie - we should talk about getting these milled so that they're available as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in