This is insanity, but ...... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

This is insanity, but ......

Getting directly to the point, I am a big drag racing fan. Especially the legal stuff! The local track has a "test and tune" night, pretty much "run what ya brung" affair. I realize the LT is a far cry from a sport bike but it is pretty quick. I'd like to take mine to see what it can do in the 1/4 mile. I'm thinking low 14's around 100 mph. A couple of questions:
They do sell some 100+ octane fuel there .... if I "topped off" with it am I looking for some engine trouble? Secondly, has anyone found a viable way to launch this thing? I haven't started out too hard with it yet; my old R75-5 would smoke the rear tire and then wheelstand a little at a 5000 rpm start. The LT can be a little unruly at times and this could be one of them. I know someone out there has wound theirs up and dropped the clutch and I would like to know of their experience. And no, I don't plan to make my LT a race machine. Just a little fun and a ballpark idea of performance. I did see a thread on this site that had a link to a turbocharging site which claimed to raise horsepower over 200. I will admit I found that pretty entertaining. The site did show an LT with the turbocharger installation; with the tupperware on you'd never know. I, of course, lost the link. If anyone knows it please let me know. Thanks for fueling my insanity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:25 pm

The clutch is the weak point on the drive train. Single, dry plate and pretty wimpy. The LT would surely wheelie easy if the clutch were up to it. I wouldn't pull too many hard starts with it, but it sure would be fun!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Good point on the clutch. Clearly mentioned on the turbocharging site. Factory clutch way too light for the additional horsepower.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Also, you can look on lighting the bike. You can remove the whole trunk, the passenger seat, the windshield, the side air deflectors, the tool bag...

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Garage
Dead On Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The clutch is the weak point on the drive train. Single, dry plate and pretty wimpy. The LT would surely wheelie easy if the clutch were up to it. I wouldn't pull too many hard starts with it, but it sure would be fun!!
The engine is willing , but the clutch is the "achilles heel." Great in the street , but not designed for rapid launch, however once it is hooked up it can scurry along at a good clip.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Wink You may be crazy, but

... it does sound like a fun thing to try.

I'd prefer you ride it with full tank, no lightening, so we have real-world numbers. Good luck, and do share your times.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:47 pm
Prodigal Son

Red face Wimmmmmpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The clutch is the weak point on the drive train. Single, dry plate and pretty wimpy.
Wimpy ---you mean like this one---
http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=586&c=
http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=582&c=
http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=580&c=

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in