quick advice, shield/lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

quick advice, shield/lights

Just landed from an 1,800 mile 2-day journey picking up my used (sorry preowned) '03 LT. More infor on the purchase and trip to follow but i need some help in the meantime. The bike AWESOME! But needs some help:

1) Wind. Wow the stock shield sucks. Maybe noisier and more buffetting than my road king? Hard to believe. Also when full up the negative pressure is astounding litterally pounding the cold air down my back. switched back and forth with Laminar Lip. Much better with the lip but still very poor. I like to look just over the shield in rain or shine. Maybe go way up in very bad conditions or to help passenger. What is the best shield out there for quiet, no buff and no neg pressure. Please tell me there is something much better. 6-1 with 34"inseam. SO 5-8 and beautiful.

2) Lights. On a winding road I am out driving the high beam at about 60 mpg. I need more light, a lot more light, and more dispersion. PIAA or the mico's or... What do you all suggest.

Thanks in advance folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 7:41 pm

I've got the Raster Mount MotoLights and they are awesome. I actually can't imagine only having the OEM headlight.

I can't really help ya on the windshield other than I have no complaints with mine. Keep in mind I'm just learning to ride and haven't hit the highway yet. But quite a few riders seems to swear by Cee Bailey’s (mine is a #2 -2” windshield).

Good luck.

Bill

'02 K1200LTC Pacific Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more!
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 8:04 pm

The OEM shield is very noisy but some of the others quiet the noise down by directing the air away from your ears. There are lots of choices more that you probably want.. My advice is to find one you like the looks of and then try to get opinions on that from riders that wear your brand of helmet., I think you will find that whatever kind of helmet you have/get you need to match that into your air stream. The only way I have found to eliminate the noise with the OEM screen is with custom earplugs..

The OEM Headlights are just plain terrible.. The design of the reflector is not bad if you can put lumens in there and the only way to do that is with an HID. Look at the lighting forum on the site. Lots of options for front end lamps.. Only one that makes any sense as a starter is an HID replacement for the OEM low beam and IMHO the most significant change you can make to the stock bike for any amount of $$.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I always ride with custom earplugs. I may have some made with speakers, but I was suprised how well I could hear the radio, but I digress. Back to the topic I was amased by the wind buffetting ( I am sure that is spelled wrong.) In fact for a while I lifted the shield on my full face for some cooler air. The wind noise (read drone) was horrible.

The Bike does have the low HID, and it is ok, but I almost always ride with the HB on at all times.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:36 pm

You might try your local BMW dealer and see if he has some demo windshields. Mine has several different ones to try out.

Here are a couple suggestions for headlights. The HID is the most popular.

http://www.xtralights.com/?gclid=CML...FQFdDgodeQbRzg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...light/upgrade/

Rusty Snyder
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:41 pm

On the shield, I've try stock normal size, Aeroflow, Cee-Bayle #2 -2 and VStream

So far, it's a hard to decided between Cee Bayle#2-2 and VStream.
If it's wind the cee bayle is better. If not, theVStream is better.
But it's for me. 6.1" - 34 insean + wife 5.10" - 32 insean (beautifull too. )

I'm using Arai helmets.

For the light, I went trhu many 'extra power' options for the stock light and neither one worked much better.
So I bite the bill and bought HID for the low + PIAA 1100 for high and Moto-Lights for conspiscuety (spell??)

After HID, any think you see will be good.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:37 pm

You might get a lot of different input regarding the lights. i've been looking at various threads on various BBS and have used both PIAA 1100X and MotoLights (fork mounted). IMHO, the best bang for your buck is to upgrade the headlight to HID. List price for a kit is $199,- but some say you can get it cheaper if you do some negotiating.
None of the light kits (PIAA motolight) have higher output than the stock headlight, although the whiter light will give you a slightly different perception.
The PIAA 1100X and Motolights are 'driving lights', so their pattern is similar to your headlight. The Hella Micro DE has a fog light (wider) pattern.
The aux lights, IMHO, help you SEEN better by others (triangular pattern, etc.). The HID headlight mod will help YOU see better.
As far as installation goes, the PIAA lights are popular because they are small and can be installed inconspicuously under the nose cone. The Hella typically installs under the mirrors and that installation requires some driling/filing of the mirror housing. The MotoLights are typically mounted on the fork where the brake calipers are mounted, so that patter is pretty low.
Interestingly there is a set of (purportedly BMW oem) aux light kit listed on eBay complete with PIAA 1000 lights and aluminum mounting hardware, that mounts onto the wings and which I've not seen discussed here before (BTW, it's not my listing, and I'm not affiliated with the seller!)

Steve
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Lighting input

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
2) Lights. On a winding road I am out driving the high beam at about 60 mpg. I need more light, a lot more light, and more dispersion. PIAA or the mico's or... What do you all suggest.
Ken, Congratulations and welcome! I bought a used K12LTC with PIAAs--they're great for lighting the road ahead and being seen. I added MotoLights mounted on the calipers, adjusted for the road right in front of the bike -- big improvement for night time cornering and being seen.
The PIAAs were wired to an Autoswitch (2s blinker cancel button activation). I wired the MotoLight relay wire to the same output of the Autoswitch. Also, check out runnin lights.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 1:31 am

I guess wind noise varies a bit according to rider height. I changed my windshield to a Cee Bailey because of distortion on the OEM, and love it. Helmet type and fit is a big factor with wind noise.

Gary T
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:56 pm

Tough question

As far as the windshield. I'm running a V-Stream now and it's better than the stock..But that's about all...

I think for pure functionality the CeeBailey's would be the best choice...The only problem with them is they are made of Lexan and not Polycarbonate and they have a tendency to shatter into large sharp pieces on breakup...... The Polycarbonate preform far better in this area......But that's the only bad news.
The V-Stream is Polycarbonate.

The back pressure is mostly going to be there no matter what windshield you use.. Just think of the positive effect it is having on the car behind you...

If you already have the low beam HID then it's time for some additional lights on the forks/cowl/etc... There are lots of nice expensive ones available for the LT.. But some have gotten them at Wally World and been happy with the results....

Hella Makes some pretty good HID driving lights that fit nicely on the LT..

Hella DE HID's

The HID high beam on my bike lights up the road like a locomotive...
So maybe that's a choice as well...

The low beam cut off is pretty harsh on the LT headlight assembly.. You can adjust it up some if you go behind the headlamp to the additional adjuster that's there...

Good Luck and welcome to the assylum...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:45 pm

Thumbs down screen

VStream will also put a lot of wind down your back when fully raised

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in