05' K1200LT oil leak (yet another thread) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

05' K1200LT oil leak (yet another thread)

I have read through about as many threads as I can find to see if any of them answer my question so if I am annoying anyone, sorry. I bought my 05' LT knowing it had a very minor oil leak. In preparation for my trip to Sturgis from Seattle, I asked that the dealer drill a weep hole as suggested by just about everyone here. I attached pictures of the day the weep hole was drilled and one of just this morning. I wiped off what was there after the first picture and since then have put about 300 miles on. My question is, since I am not getting ANY clutch slippage, is the amount of oil that is there show enough of a problem that I should have the engine dismantled and all new seals put in? I am hoping that there is enough life in it to now worry about it until December or January. I look forward to your thoughts here. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Re: 05' K1200LT oil leak (yet another thread)

Not sure why it did not take the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160715_071759.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	112618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160718_090710.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	112626  

Last edited by 2ndGenBMWRider; Jul 18th, 2016 at 12:53 pm. Reason: Adding pictures
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBMWRider View Post
I have read through about as many threads as I can find to see if any of them answer my question so if I am annoying anyone, sorry. I bought my 05' LT knowing it had a very minor oil leak. In preparation for my trip to Sturgis from Seattle, I asked that the dealer drill a weep hole as suggested by just about everyone here. I attached pictures of the day the weep hole was drilled and one of just this morning. I wiped off what was there after the first picture and since then have put about 300 miles on. My question is, since I am not getting ANY clutch slippage, is the amount of oil that is there show enough of a problem that I should have the engine dismantled and all new seals put in? I am hoping that there is enough life in it to now worry about it until December or January. I look forward to your thoughts here. Thanks in advance.
Based on the pictures posted, my personal guess is that it is the rear main seal leaking because you do not have a slipping clutch yet. It looks like there may be oil leaking from the front of the bellhousing and that is where oil would drain from that seal, in front of the clutch housing.

It is difficult to make a recommendation on whether to have work done or not based on pictures like yours. Some ride for years and others have a melt down very quickly like Scooter just this week and is now trailering his bike home.

Keep in mind that the weep hole is an indicator of a problem that needs to be fixed and not a solution to allow you to keep on riding. Any oil that drains out will likely end up on your rear wheel and if enough comes out at any time, it can cause you great trouble.

It is costly to have that work done at a dealer but it isn't an engine dismantle but a transmission removal to expose the seals that are leaking. At that point, you have to weigh the cost of parts vs labor to go back in to replace other things that you could do this time around. How many miles are on the clutch and is there ANY oil contamination yet even if it isn't slipping. The transmission input, output and slave seals are usually replaced in this process as well as inspection of the clutch plates for wear and dishing. The dreaded O-ring would automatically be replaced with a main seal as it has to be removed and would not be reused in the main seal process.

The decision is all yours if you want to risk it and have to tow or trailer your bike back or find a local dealer to do the work while you are away and you also may not have any issue at all. You could take your trip without incident but your time is limited before it will simply need to be done to continue riding. All the incidents seem to be different but the outcome is the same. It simply needs to be replaced.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 8:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW oil from the rear main leak will usually be thrown off the clutch housing and typically will not contaminate the clutch. It will if no weep hole is there and the level gets high enough. The o-ring on the output shaft will crack with age and will contaminate the clutch but it rarely shows at the weep hole. I have a friend who bought an LT with a really bad rear main seal leak and he has put over 20 K on it in the last 2 years and the clutch is still just fine. Just periodically get the the old girl up to about 4500 RPM in 5th gear then hammer the throttle to see if the clutch will slip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in