Possibly bad gas...burp! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Possibly bad gas...burp!

Hi All,

After filling up and having breakfast outside of Dayton, OH the LT started running rough (knocking), hesitating in 1st & 2nd and the bike died at a stop light. Restarted and ran okay cruising in 5th, but bad gas mileage until the next fill up. Still have the same issues with that last fill up, but I think I haven't run through all of the bad gas. If it was indeed bad.
I have cycled the battery and did a reset of the TSP. GS-911 showed TVA faults, which I cleared, showing idle activator (IA) possibly out of adjustment. O2 sensor tested okay.
Bike was running great until the Dayton fill up.
Anyone have an issue with bad gas and when the LT finally started running well again or could it really be an IA issue?

Thanks,
Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:30 am

Re: Possibly bad gas...burp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
Hi All,

After filling up and having breakfast outside of Dayton, OH the LT started running rough (knocking), hesitating in 1st & 2nd and the bike died at a stop light. Restarted and ran okay cruising in 5th, but bad gas mileage until the next fill up. Still have the same issues with that last fill up, but I think I haven't run through all of the bad gas. If it was indeed bad.
I have cycled the battery and did a reset of the TSP. GS-911 showed TVA faults, which I cleared, showing idle activator (IA) possibly out of adjustment. O2 sensor tested okay.
Anyone have an issue with bad gas and when the LT finally started running well again or could it really be an IA issue?

Thanks,
Jer
The TVA would not cause your bike to run badly. It might idle high or not at all but should run normally otherwise and it wouldn't affect mileage.

I would do a visual check of the fuel in the tank and look for swirling when you turn the key to on and the pump cycles. Something as sudden as that could be the start of a split in the internal fuel lines if they have never been changed out.

Just curious, are you running premium?
vernvernvern likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:48 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I replaced the lines on the fuel pump with the new plastic fuel lines being sold, so don't think there's a split, but will check. Yes, it was a hot day, so premium was purchased, which I use for ~90% of fill ups.

Thanks,
Jer

post #4 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 11:37 am

Quote:
During the Butt Lite 8 rally earlier this month, an Australian competitor pumped a tankful of gasoline and water into his tanks. His bike ran for a couple mile before running rough and finally quitting. It delayed his rally for over 24 hours and nearly disqualified him for being time barred at the Reno checkpoint. So, water in the gas does happen. I briefly spoke to him at the checkpoint and he said the Kansas area had recently been saturated with heavy rain.

The mechanic assisting him used a product called HEET (How to Use HEET® Gas-Line Antifreeze & Water Remover FAQs | Gold Eagle) in an attempt to resolve the water issue. Unfortunately, there was a significant amount of water in the fuel and the product did not work. He had to completely drain his main and aux tanks to correct the issue.

My advice is to first try the "pour and pray" method of HEET followed by draining your tank if HEET did not work. I those both fail, I defer to the wise ones on the forum.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #5 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 2:25 pm

The water seriously messes with your fuel filter also. I hate to say this but I would also go in there and change out the filter.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Quote:
I replaced the lines on the fuel pump with the new plastic fuel lines being sold, so don't think there's a split, but will check. Yes, it was a hot day, so premium was purchased, which I use for ~90% of fill ups.

Thanks,
Jer
If your lines are the plastic ones which I also have, give it a check just in case but it is not likely them unless a clamp has come lose. I am with the others who have responded. Try the HEET method and if that fails, it is a lot of work but pull the tank and drain it completely into a clean container and examine for contaminants and replace the filter as Beech said. If there is any sigh of water in what you remove, you might have your answer. If not then on to the wiser ones.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 4:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
If your lines are the plastic ones which I also have, give it a check just in case but it is not likely them unless a clamp has come lose. I am with the others who have responded. Try the HEET method and if that fails, it is a lot of work but pull the tank and drain it completely into a clean container and examine for contaminants and replace the filter as Beech said. If there is any sigh of water in what you remove, you might have your answer. If not then on to the wiser ones.
I don't think you need to pull the tank. Remove the right fairing panel and the tip over frame. Siphon out as much fuel as possible (you can get all but a few ounces). Remove the fuel pump from the tank. Just remove it carefully so you don't bend anything. It will come out with the tank on the bike as I have done it. Rock the bike side to side to remove as much fuel as possible. Replace the filter as already recommended and then fill with good gas. Replace plastic and ride.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I don't think you need to pull the tank. Remove the right fairing panel and the tip over frame. Siphon out as much fuel as possible (you can get all but a few ounces). Remove the fuel pump from the tank. Just remove it carefully so you don't bend anything. It will come out with the tank on the bike as I have done it. Rock the bike side to side to remove as much fuel as possible. Replace the filter as already recommended and then fill with good gas. Replace plastic and ride.
That is a good process laying the bike over on the left to pull out the pump without pulling the tank but it could get messy standing it back up trying to get all the liquid out of the tank It would work though.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That is a good process laying the bike over on the left to pull out the pump without pulling the tank but it could get messy standing it back up trying to get all the liquid out of the tank It would work though.
I wouldn't lay it over. I did mine on the centerstand. I siphoned the gas out and what little came out when I loosened the ring was absorbed by one shop rag.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The TVA would not cause your bike to run badly. It might idle high or not at all but should run normally otherwise and it wouldn't affect mileage.

I would do a visual check of the fuel in the tank and look for swirling when you turn the key to on and the pump cycles. Something as sudden as that could be the start of a split in the internal fuel lines if they have never been changed out.

Just curious, are you running premium?
Well, did the visual check. Now why would I need to do THAT as I had replaced the lines, filter & pump during the winter of 2014 and it's been running GREAT!? Hell, if that's not the problem. Turned on the key, as I've read here numerous times as good advise to others, and there it was. Swirling gas! Darn! Nice to know I can do the repair and not have to limp it into the dealer.

Thanks all for your much appreciated, sage advise.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #11 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Also, thanks for the input on the process of removing the pump assembly. Never had to do it, but looks and seems to be do-able without removing the tank.

Thanks all, again,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #12 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

FYI, about siphoning gas without a pump or shooting it out your nose:

It's that easy, as I've used this method before.

HTH,
Jer
Patric likes this.

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #13 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Well, did the visual check. Now why would I need to do THAT as I had replaced the lines, filter & pump during the winter of 2014 and it's been running GREAT!? Hell, if that's not the problem. Turned on the key, as I've read here numerous times as good advise to others, and there it was. Swirling gas! Darn! Nice to know I can do the repair and not have to limp it into the dealer.

Jer
Make sure you take a picture of the failure if possible. Several of us are running these lines and if it actually split or failed, it would be nice to know how it happened.

Hopefully that is it but may not be a good sign for these nylon lines if so.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:30 am

Quote:

Jer
Another thing you can do is remove the sending unit from the top of the tank and the fuel lines are right there to look at. The only thing I would caution is if you try turning on the key with that opening, you may get sprayed in the face with gas from the leak so I would use a mirror to look in from the side if you wanted to examine it that way to see where it was leaking under pressure. Always use caution where gas is involved.

Check this thread out post #9 for pics of what you can see through the sending tube opening. You can also see if it is impacting anything inside causing abrasion.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...fuel-line.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 12:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I picked up a bad tank of gas in Batesville, MS, where mom lives. I've never bought gas from that BP again. MPG dropped into the mid 30's rather than the normal 44. Thought my O2 sensor had gone. Once I got into the Great State of Alabama, I filled up and the problem went away, never to return.

BTW, speaking of fuel and I'm cautious to mention, but I have been buying Chevron Premium since reading in my 525i manual that BMW recommenced Chevron and Techron. Noticing that they are now allied with Shell, and it is a right on red to the Shell and a left at the light for Chevron, I put a tank of Shell in and noticed that my ave. mpg has gone up from 44 to 46. I ran another tank Chevron and it was back down to 44. A tank of Shell, up to 46 again. I'm pretty much a commuter, taking the same routes on a weekly basis.
ProfSnape likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #16 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Garage

Quote:
Also, thanks for the input on the process of removing the pump assembly. Never had to do it, but looks and seems to be do-able without removing the tank.

Thanks all, again,
Jer
It is pretty easy once you drain the tank. I used a small hand pump I picked up at Wal-Mart or the hardware store to siphon the gas out. Just make sure the hose is at the bottom of the fuel pump assembly while the bike is on the center stand. Once you can't get any more out put the bike on the side stand to make it a little more comfortable to work on. Pull the right side fairings and the two bolts for the crash bar frame and you'll be able to pull the assembly. Put a light coat of grease or Vaseline on the gasket to keep it from shrinking while you work on the lines and it will keep it from binding when you tighten the nut.
post #17 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 7:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Make sure you take a picture of the failure if possible. Several of us are running these lines and if it actually split or failed, it would be nice to know how it happened.

Hopefully that is it but may not be a good sign for these nylon lines if so.
I removed the fuel pump assembly...looks perfectly fine. Before removing everything I did see swirling in the tank when I turned the key to the starting position. The swirling stopped after a few seconds, but I thought the pump just runs for a few.
What have I missed?

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #18 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 8:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I removed the fuel pump assembly...looks perfectly fine. Before removing everything I did see swirling in the tank when I turned the key to the starting position. The swirling stopped after a few seconds, but I thought the pump just runs for a few.
What have I missed?

Jer
On even closer inspection, I see some tiny gas bubbles coming out of the gas line at the input to the filter. Screw clamp is a bit farther away from butting up to the filter than the hose. Thinking a possible clogged/restricted filter, too.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #19 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You might want to replace the screw clamps with Oeticher stainless steel clamps if/when you replace the filter. They can handle the higher pressures and good for submersible applications.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #20 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
You might want to replace the screw clamps with Oeticher stainless steel clamps if/when you replace the filter. They can handle the higher pressures and good for submersible applications.
The Oetiker clamps would have to be used carefully not to damage the nylon fuel lines he is using. The FI screw clamps are probably better for that particular application IMO.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #21 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Quote:
On even closer inspection, I see some tiny gas bubbles coming out of the gas line at the input to the filter. Screw clamp is a bit farther away from butting up to the filter than the hose. Thinking a possible clogged/restricted filter, too.

Jer
Did you find any water in the tank?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 9:41 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
I picked up a bad tank of gas in Batesville, MS, where mom lives. I've never bought gas from that BP again. MPG dropped into the mid 30's rather than the normal 44. Thought my O2 sensor had gone. Once I got into the Great State of Alabama, I filled up and the problem went away, never to return.

BTW, speaking of fuel and I'm cautious to mention, but I have been buying Chevron Premium since reading in my 525i manual that BMW recommenced Chevron and Techron. Noticing that they are now allied with Shell, and it is a right on red to the Shell and a left at the light for Chevron, I put a tank of Shell in and noticed that my ave. mpg has gone up from 44 to 46. I ran another tank Chevron and it was back down to 44. A tank of Shell, up to 46 again. I'm pretty much a commuter, taking the same routes on a weekly basis.
Its the alcohol level in the fuel... When I leave Cal. and Nevada and head north to Utah my mileage gets better. I always try to use Chevron as well.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #23 of 60 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post

Nothing wrong with screw clamps of the fuel injection type. They will take more pressure than the Oetikers and are reusable. Main issue is people tend to over tighten them.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 10:06 am

Garage

Quote:

Jer
Without submerging it in a bucket of fuel it's hard to tell where it might be leaking without an obvious hole. The clamp may be tight but has a small area that fuel escapes by when it's under pressure. I'd be very cautious if you chose to try a bucket inspection since there is potential for ignition of the fuel.

I'm guessing you're using FI rated screw clamps not the normal worm gear hose clamps. If not, that could be the issue.
post #25 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
Without submerging it in a bucket of fuel it's hard to tell where it might be leaking without an obvious hole. The clamp may be tight but has a small area that fuel escapes by when it's under pressure. I'd be very cautious if you chose to try a bucket inspection since there is potential for ignition of the fuel.

I'm guessing you're using FI rated screw clamps not the normal worm gear hose clamps. If not, that could be the issue.
William, both he and I are using the nylon fuel lines and I am making the assumption he is using the same ones I am sold by Euro Motoelectric and the kit comes with FI clamps. There are several others on this forum using them so I am sure they are paying attention. If someone is having an issue with them leaking, I know I want to know the reason so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me. If it is just a lose clamp, that is easily fixed. If it has developed a hole, that goes toward durability over the stock rubber lines. It could also be an issue with the pump installed in 2014. Some of these after market pumps may not be all that great.

Waiting on a final diagnosis. I might put it back in the way it is and pull the sending tube out so I could look at it in operation as long as it wasn't making a fountain out onto the ground or into my face. Put a little fuel in and start it up and watch it.

Don't like the bucket idea because it won't develop the proper pressure open ended and if you blocked the output without a regulator, it could far exceed the rated pressure and burst the nylon lines or filter.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #26 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Quote:

William, both he and I are using the nylon fuel lines and I am making the assumption he is using the same ones I am sold by Euro Motoelectric and the kit comes with FI clamps. There are several others on this forum using them so I am sure they are paying attention. If someone is having an issue with them leaking, I know I want to know the reason so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me. If it is just a lose clamp, that is easily fixed. If it has developed a hole, that goes toward durability over the stock rubber lines. It could also be an issue with the pump installed in 2014. Some of these after market pumps may not be all that great.

Waiting on a final diagnosis. I might put it back in the way it is and pull the sending tube out so I could look at it in operation as long as it wasn't making a fountain out onto the ground or into my face. Put a little fuel in and start it up and watch it.

Don't like the bucket idea because it won't develop the proper pressure open ended and if you blocked the output without a regulator, it could far exceed the rated pressure and burst the nylon lines or filter.
After work I'll reply with pictures of what I think is the issue.
Thanks to all,
Jer
post #27 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi,..I'm a little late to this thread.. Anyway...is it posable fuel got up in the charcoal cannister?

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #28 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Garage

Quote:

You are correct, I didn't think it through before typing. Replacing it and viewing it in tank is the best option.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #29 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Jer
The first picture, where the fuel line is entering the filter from the right, is the side I noticed the bubbles. Seems to me that 1) The clamp is too close to the filter ferrel and should be closer to the side of the filter. Being that far away from the side of the filter caused the line to open up under pressure. Being that close to the ferrel may not clamp the line correctly since it's coming in at an angle. 2) The clamp may not be tight enough for the nylon material. If it were OEM line, then you can see how far the clamp is 'digging' into the line. With nylon, you really can't.
Photo #2 shows how it should have been done, as there were no bubbles coming out from that side.
I've purchased a new filter, since the possibility of being clogged/restricted may have some part in the issue. I'll be putting the pump assembly back into the bike to test it out.
Great idea about coating the gasket.
There was no water in the tank.
The replacement pump was OEM.
Clamps and hose came in a package for replacement from Euro Motoelectric, so seems like the clamps are fine, I just didn't tighten correctly for the line material usage.
It's a '99, so the canister was removed long ago.

Hope to report back with good news when I receive the filter from Bob's. Going OEM on this, for sure.

Thanks all,
Jer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	112890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	112898  
Patric likes this.

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #30 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think you got it. Every time someone has posted:

"Before removing everything I did see swirling in the tank when I turned the key to the starting position."

It is a split line or leaky clamp. Should NOT be ANY swirling in the tank.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #31 of 60 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Should NOT be ANY swirling in the tank.
I'm not sure of the term "swirling", but you should see some "movement" in the tank when the fuel pump is running.
When the pump pressures the system, the fuel regulator bypass is returned to the tank via the second fuel line and enters below the pump through the mounting plate. ("Sprays" straight up.) This should cause some visual "movement" of the fuel. How much movement will be dependent on the fuel level.
HTH

Duane
sailor, saddleman and Fun Bobby like this.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #32 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 8:55 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm not sure of the term "swirling", but you should see some "movement" in the tank when the fuel pump is running.
When the pump pressures the system, the fuel regulator bypass is returned to the tank via the second fuel line and enters below the pump through the mounting plate. ("Sprays" straight up.) This should cause some visual "movement" of the fuel. How much movement will be dependent on the fuel level.
HTH

Duane
Doesn't the ECM shut the fuel pump off once it reads a minimum fuel pressure in the fuel system? I thought it allowed it to pressure up then shut off to avoid burning up the pump. Once you started the bike the fuel pressure is constantly being reduced so the pump runs the whole time and then the fuel regulator manages the pressure with the bypass. If so you shouldn't see any movement in the tank while the engine is not running unless there is a leak. I could be wrong as I'm still figuring out some of the complexities of the systems.
post #33 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 9:28 am

The clamps in the photos look cheesy.

I think that it would be a good idea to seek out some higher quality clamps.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT Champagne
post #34 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 9:56 am

Quote:
Doesn't the ECM shut the fuel pump off once it reads a minimum fuel pressure in the fuel system? I thought it allowed it to pressure up then shut off to avoid burning up the pump. Once you started the bike the fuel pressure is constantly being reduced so the pump runs the whole time and then the fuel regulator manages the pressure with the bypass. If so you shouldn't see any movement in the tank while the engine is not running unless there is a leak. I could be wrong as I'm still figuring out some of the complexities of the systems.
TO CLARIFY ABOVE POST:
The K100, K1100, K1200 (brick-engine) AND also the Oilhead Boxer models (R1100, R1150) all use the same design where the pump runs constantly (based on hall-effect sensor signal when engine is turning).

There is no over pressure as the fuel-rail has a mechanical fuel-pressure regulator that will returns everything else to the fuel-tank using the return hose. Hence, the correct pressure is maintained based on fuel-pressure regulator - assuming the fuel pump is working fine and can do above the pressure regulator requirements (constant 50 PSI for K1200).

The newer K1200, K1300, K1600 (frontal slant-4 and slant-6 engine) and also R1200 boxer use a different design where there is in fact a measurement of fuel pressure in real-time to stop-start the fuel pump. This so-called electronic fuel pressure regulator is located into the fuel pump cover where the hose enters the Fuel-Tank.
Patric and Dman like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:05 am.
post #35 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 10:08 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawk2 View Post

Any chance you can provide a link to either what you've used or suggest I find?

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #36 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 10:39 am

Quote:

Those clamps are actually fairly substantial. Unlike the Oetiker clamps that are designed to compress the rubber as they are clamped, these apply pressure equally around the circumference of the line to seal them and are adjustable. Oetiker clamps would easily damage and cut into the nylon if not very careful. Those clamps are just fine for that application as long as they are adequately tightened. I am using the same nylon lines and clamps on my LT with no issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #37 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The first picture, where the fuel line is entering the filter from the right, is the side I noticed the bubbles. Seems to me that 1) The clamp is too close to the filter ferrel and should be closer to the side of the filter. Being that far away from the side of the filter caused the line to open up under pressure. Being that close to the ferrel may not clamp the line correctly since it's coming in at an angle. 2) The clamp may not be tight enough for the nylon material. If it were OEM line, then you can see how far the clamp is 'digging' into the line. With nylon, you really can't.
Photo #2 shows how it should have been done, as there were no bubbles coming out from that side.
I've purchased a new filter, since the possibility of being clogged/restricted may have some part in the issue. I'll be putting the pump assembly back into the bike to test it out.
Great idea about coating the gasket.
There was no water in the tank.
The replacement pump was OEM.
Clamps and hose came in a package for replacement from Euro Motoelectric, so seems like the clamps are fine, I just didn't tighten correctly for the line material usage.
It's a '99, so the canister was removed long ago.

Hope to report back with good news when I receive the filter from Bob's. Going OEM on this, for sure.

Thanks all,
Jer
Your "correct" clamp looks to be tighter than the other one judging from the space between the ears on the clamps. However, it looks to be too close to the filter to me. I like to see an 1/8" or so of hose beyond the clamp. I try to center my clamp between the base of the flare on the filter and the filter body with the hose pretty tight against the filter body.

On the thicker rubber hoses, I tighten the clamps only until the OD of the clamp is flush with, or just slightly below, the OD surface of the hose. I've never had one come loose this way. A few folks will under tighten hose clamps, but the vast majority over tighten which damages the hose and can allow the jacket to get cut and things to come loose eventually.

I am not sure what guideline to use on these thinner nylon hoses. I would hope the maker might provide a torque spec or other guidance.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #38 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

How so?

They look fine to me. I used similar clamps both in my external Jiffy Tites (7 years ago) and internal lines (2 years ago) and they work just fine properly installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	112970  
jers99lt likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:25 am.
post #39 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
TO CLARIFY ABOVE POST:
The K100, K1100, K1200 (brick-engine) AND also the Oilhead Boxer models (R1100, R1150) all use the same design where the pump runs constantly (based on hall-effect sensor signal when engine is turning).

There is no over pressure as the fuel-rail has a mechanical fuel-pressure regulator that will returns everything else to the fuel-tank using the return hose. Hence, the correct pressure is maintained based on fuel-pressure regulator - assuming the fuel pump is working fine and can do above the pressure regulator requirements (constant 50 PSI for K1200).

The newer K1200, K1300, K1600 (frontal slant-4 and slant-6 engine) and also R1200 boxer use a different design where there is in fact a measurement of fuel pressure in real-time to stop-start the fuel pump. This so-called electronic fuel pressure regulator is located into the fuel pump cover where the hose enters the Fuel-Tank.
So the "key on" prime is just a time controlled action? It isn't a "run to pressure value" sequence?

I did not see a pressure sensor when I had mine apart, but I didn't know what might be integral to the pump.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #40 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:32 am

Quote:
So the "key on" prime is just a time controlled action? It isn't a "run to pressure value" sequence?

I did not see a pressure sensor when I had mine apart, but I didn't know what might be integral to the pump.
The short prime sequence (after ignition ON) is just timed by ECU (BOSH Motronic) and is NOT based on reaching a certain pressure to stop prime action. The whole system design really does not care if you prime 3 sec or 10 seconds as the surplus goes back into the tank anyway (by design).

In order to spare fuel-pump from overworking for no valid reasons, I have to assume they did some engineering test to get an acceptable prime time that would satisfy overnight cold start. The overnight cold start is where the prime duration is the most important as tests (using pressure gauge inline) shows that there is a slight loss of pressure over several hour period (mainly caused by leaking injectors).

In fact, you could easily prove yourself that the system is closed internally (to maintain pressure when stopped) and stays "somewhat" primed when engine is stopped for a short time:
(1) with engine already warm and fairing off, disconnect fuel pump connector
(2) turn ignition ON, wait 8 seconds (just for ABS init and self test to finish)
(3) plug back the fuel pump connector (there should be NO priming noise)
(4) start engine as usual

If you did the same with long hours overnight stop, it might not start so well as you will have some internal pressure leak. It will still start but will require a few engine rotation (hall effect sensor is the trigger to fuel pump signal).

The whole EFI system of the K1200 "brick-engine" (like the K100 and K75) is NOT aware you have by-passed the prime sequence with above steps - there is no pressure sensor anywhere, just a "dumb / simple" fuel pressure regulator. As stated in earlier post, the newer BMW engine models EFI systems are very different compare to this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jul 21st, 2016 at 12:02 pm.
post #41 of 60 Old Jul 21st, 2016, 1:44 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
TO CLARIFY ABOVE POST:

I appreciate the explanation, that makes sense. I'm learning something new everyday.
Patric likes this.
post #42 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Before putting all back together, incrementally I checked for leaks as the engine ran perfectly, took for a test ride without right side tupperwear, ran perfectly, put all back together with a broad smile. Took for a mile ride and ran great. Put on the gear and headed out to get gas and then started to run like crap, as before.
Engine sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around. No power when throttle is turned and bogs down badly. Disconnected the battery and did a TSP reset. Threw in some Heat gas treatment and ran for 15-min. No change at all.
The swirling of gas in the tank does not happen anymore.
BMW in Countryside, IL is coming out on Tues. to pick her up. Too f'in hot to tear her apart again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, tips and added knowledge of just how this bike operates. I've learned a LOT!
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #43 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 1:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like that Idle Activator fault is the next thing to look at.
Patric likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #44 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Before putting all back together, incrementally I checked for leaks as the engine ran perfectly, took for a test ride without right side tupperwear, ran perfectly, put all back together with a broad smile. Took for a mile ride and ran great. Put on the gear and headed out to get gas and then started to run like crap, as before.
Engine sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around. No power when throttle is turned and bogs down badly. Disconnected the battery and did a TSP reset. Threw in some Heat gas treatment and ran for 15-min. No change at all.
The swirling of gas in the tank does not happen anymore.
BMW in Countryside, IL is coming out on Tues. to pick her up. Too f'in hot to tear her apart again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, tips and added knowledge of just how this bike operates. I've learned a LOT!
Jer
I assume no GS911 faults showing before BMW takes your money.

Musings lead to something intermittent. Canister removed so the line to the purge valve is blocked. Vacuum leak there could cause issues but I have never pulled my vac cap to see how it runs if that is open. That would be an intermittent leak as that valve opens and closes but I have no idea what the duty cycle of that circuit is.

Lack of fuel pressure, possibly the pump is bad or a less likely culprit would be the regulator. If it was stuck open, it might cause some swirling in the tank from excess flow bypass and low fuel pressure. GS911 won't tell you anything about that.

Not sure if the TPS would cause this particular issue as i think that would cause more of a miss or dead spot in the range of the throttle motion.

Hall sensor being intermittent could cause some bad stuff but it does sound more like a fuel starvation issue with the bogging rather than you stating that is is miss firing.

Whatever it is, please keep us updated on the findings.

Good luck Jerry.
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #45 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
How so?

They look fine to me. I used similar clamps both in my external Jiffy Tites (7 years ago) and internal lines (2 years ago) and they work just fine properly installed.
Clymer manual; Chap. 7 Fuel and exhaust systems; Tools; p. 239; Figure 3. Looks to me like the recommended clamps to be used in the fuel system.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #46 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 2:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Looks like that Idle Activator fault is the next thing to look at.
I definitely agree. When I looked at what it meant to address an IA fault, I hoped for another solution.
I'll leave that up to the nearest BMW shop (first time service customer, actually).

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #47 of 60 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 4:40 pm

Quote:
I definitely agree. When I looked at what it meant to address an IA fault, I hoped for another solution.
I'll leave that up to the nearest BMW shop (first time service customer, actually).

Thanks,
Jer
The idle actuator is nothing but a stepper motor to set the idle. If you are having rideability issues other than it not idling, this should not be the issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #48 of 60 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 1:07 am

Jerry
I think that it would be a good idea to check your spark plug wires for arcing before sending her off to the dealer.
The plug wires are Notorious for chaffing & arcing in the space by the plugs.
Also worn plugs can cause a misfire, exaggerating any wire problems.

Easy to check.......worth a try.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT Champagne

Last edited by Rhawk2; Jul 24th, 2016 at 1:13 am.
post #49 of 60 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

What I found to be occurring is consistent with what happened after replacing gas filter and reseating the fuel hose/clamps.
Bike ran great right out of the gate and then after a couple short rides, going for a longer ride, started to bog down with throttle movement. Put her in the garage. This morning bikes starts fine and throttle movement revs the engine very nicely. I'm sure if I take her for a longer ride, the bogging will reoccur.

GS911 testing:
- Initially, after turning on ignition, error: "Failed to read controller info".
- Looking at current faults, other than Hall Effect because engine not running: "Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Circuit Malfunction, short circuit to earth. No fault present now. This fault occurred 20-times."

Just wondering where this scenario is pointing me to? O2 sensor?
Initially, when the swirling was happening in the tank, the O2 tested fine. I had received many IA faults.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #50 of 60 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 10:34 am
Enjoy The Ride

My 2000 runs like that when the outside temps are in the 90's.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in