Clutch chatter causes - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Clutch chatter causes

I have been going back and forth a little with Southland Clutch about my clutch chatter problem. I am 90% sure it is a machining error and they think I assembled it incorrectly. They sent my video to a man who restores airheads and he told them I had not engaged the driveshaft and the noise was the driveshaft flipping around. He suggested I wasn't actually riding the bike, but had it in neutral. He obviously didn't believe what I wrote to Southland along with the video and didn't realize the big 1 on the LCD was the gear indicator. Or notice that the speedometer went briefly up to 3 MPH.

I am still pretty sure it is bad machining, but I want to be open minded so as to not miss some other potential cause. The only assembly error I can think of relates to the spacer ring. I am wondering if there is any chance that this ring could get cocked inside the clutch housing such that it doesn't provide equal pressure on the circumference of the spring. I had mine stuck to the spring with the moly grease so I am pretty sure it went in properly.

However, if any of you have a clutch housing, spacer and spring lying around, can you check to see if there is enough clearance in the housing to install the spring with the spacer ring any way other than completely behind the spring?

I can't think of anything else that would let the clutch operate normally (disengage fully, hold torque when engaged) yet still allow this chatter to occur. Anyone have any other ideas as to cause?

I have about 240 miles on it now and it is at best only very slightly better. I am going to run one more tank and then start getting more aggressive with it as JohnZ suggested. Nothing much to hurt at this point as all the parts that will wear would need to be replaced in any event. I just don't want to do something bad like spin out the driveshaft damper...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 5:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Clutch chatter causes

No the ring will only go one way and that is flush in the housing so you should be good there. I'll go back and listen to the video again but that was not the driveshaft banging around. Air heads don't have a snap on type drive shaft so he was dive bombing that since he is not familiar with K bike shafts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
No the ring will only go one way and that is flush in the housing so you should be good there. I'll go back and listen to the video again but that was not the driveshaft banging around. Air heads don't have a snap on type drive shaft so he was dive bombing that since he is not familiar with K bike shafts.
+1 on John. I listened carefully many times. The only thing that might be backwards is the clutch disk itself but I don't think it will function normally with it backwards. I don't have a set of pieces to assemble in front of me as i reused my plates.

I know it wont work if the spring is backwards.

John, what happens if the disk is in backwards? The spline core is longer on one side than the other.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 8:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I assumed that both were pretty tight fits inside the clutch housing, but didn't specifically check that during assembly. I just can't think of any cause for this behavior other than a combination of a thick spot on the clutch disk with a pressure plate surface not parallel to the housing cover causing a once per revolution pinch point for the high spot on the disk.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
+1 on John. I listened carefully many times. The only thing that might be backwards is the clutch disk itself but I don't think it will function normally with it backwards. I don't have a set of pieces to assemble in front of me as i reused my plates.

I know it wont work if the spring is backwards.

John, what happens if the disk is in backwards? The spline core is longer on one side than the other.
I am 99% sure I got everything oriented correctly, but I am curious to hear what would happen if the disk was backward. I suspect the long flange would hit something causing an obvious problem, but I am guessing.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I am 99% sure I got everything oriented correctly, but I am curious to hear what would happen if the disk was backward. I suspect the long flange would hit something causing an obvious problem, but I am guessing.
I am guessing the same thing. I don't think you have anything assembled incorrectly or I think there would be more than the ticking noise on start. I think it would impinge on the spring movement preventing engagement or disengagement and you have neither of those.

I too just asked the question because I am curious. I am sure someone has done it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 7:03 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Here is the link to the first video for ready reference.

I made a second video as Southland's BMW expert asked for a video showing the bike on the center stand going through all of the gears. I believe the reason was he believed I had the bike in neutral in the first video and thought the issue was a driveshaft that had not been connected.
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:08 pm

If it is of any help to any of you, I have the clutch, pressure plate and spring that I just changed in my 2005. (And a bent push rod.) I am stumped as to what is causing the problem, but would be happy to ship these parts if they can be used to help solve the problem. Let me know.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 8:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you look here you can see that it would not work at all if the disc was installed backwards. The spring face would contact the long side of the splines should you try to do that. It is not your cause of noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	align.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	112714   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	112722   Click image for larger version

Name:	0011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	112730  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Quote:
If you look here you can see that it would not work at all if the disc was installed backwards. The spring face would contact the long side of the splines should you try to do that. It is not your cause of noise.
I think that is what Matt and I thought would happen. We/I were just curious if it could even be assembled like that.

Thanks for the confirmation John.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in