"What would you have done : Lane merging" - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ValkyrieRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2016, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Cool "What would you have done : Lane merging"

This is on the Home page, but will not allow a reply; so here's my .02 after riding street bikes for 40 years - The question posed here is how should we react to a vehicle that won't allow proper merging or cuts you off when lanes go from two into a single. This could be from any number of reasons : accident or construction zone, 4 lane into a 2 lane highway, or traffic congestion. We've all been there; but in this example this guy was able to get to the guilty driver's window and apparently gave her his advice on why & how to merge. Not sure if this is a good tactic; the car/truck or whatever already has chosen to be disrespectful and knows they will win any type of altercation. Bikers never do well when hit or "tapped" or run over. So, I'm not saying that I don't want to give some drivers a piece of my mind, but usually just avoid any confrontation and ride on. Here in Texas, you're liable to have a firearm pulled on you (yea I can shoot back) but that only leads to legal probs. My goal on a ride is to enjoy myself, be safe and return home in one piece. Yes, the interstate traffic jams with 18 wheelers blocking both lanes are frustrating, but I can do alot on a bike that cars can't - like turn around or cross the median. I'd rather explain to a cop why I did an illegal u-turn to avoid road rage than why I became involved in an accident. I've also been on the other side recently when a group of bikers (like 50 or so) believed they had the right to stop traffic while doing wheelies and lane splitting. That's another subject, but I did not cut them off. My late dad always said "Watch the idiots " !! So...... any other experiences or views on this ??
Patric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Re: "What would you have done : Lane merging"

I don't retaliate any more that a one finger wave.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 10:07 pm

As I get older, I like to think I am getting wiser(of course I still have a long way to go). In todays world we all have to be more careful because our world as we know it is slowly slipping away. Also, we don't know what troubles a person has going in their world. So, I guess we will just wave and move on. Maybe if Trump gets elected we will have some support, which we do not have now. Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up politics but folks we are at a crossroads. Ride safe.
Leon

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2016, 11:25 pm

I choose only to respond with force only to protect myself, family or friend.

I do not look for trouble, or confrontations unless boxed in.

That does not mean I am not capable, but prepared to take care of business, as may be needed.

Our country needs us now more than ever. All of us MUST be prepared to get out this election year and VOTE to put our country back on track, and back in the right direction, and under the grace of God.

TRUMP/PENCE.......
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 1:24 am

Interesting views. If l'm still upright and no-ones hit me - l move on. Having to think about guns when giving your peace of mind to a driver no matter how passive you are...... wow - here in OZ, l guess we're lucky (probably just the criminal and the like have guns anyway, so who's better off??) Had a brother -in-law who just toured the States and he mentioned that as you don't know how has a gun in their car, the general attitude is just to move on (hence the legal ramifications).
Generally, if your're attitude is ok, then you'll be fine. It's the 5% rule as in everything..
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in