Another LT Convert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Another LT Convert

I rode my 2006 LT home from the dealership last night (85 miles). It was heavenly. I was a bit on edge riding in city traffic at rush hour, but once on the road I relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed it. I traded in my F650GS. I know, that's quite a transition....got a chuckle from some at the dealership too! But I was amazed when I took the LT for a test drive how well it handles and it didn't really seem as heavy as it is. I started riding at age 60, took the MSF Basic and Experienced Riders Courses, and this is my 3rd bike. I think I've finally found the keeper. I am determined to do whatever it takes to master this new ride. I thoroughly enjoyed my F650; it's really a fun bike but I wasn't having fun riding it. Reason is, that riding it took time away from doing something with my wife or just hanging out. I wanted something that we could have fun doing together, and she can't wait to ride with me. I think we will have great fun. Of course, I still have some work to do before going 2-up, but I think that will come fast. We're empty nesters, grandparents in our early 60's, healthy, and looking toward great enjoyment in riding and meeting other riders. Maybe we'll even see some of you around. I have followed this site for quite some time and appreciate the comments and advice. I also am a member of the Chain Gang and have the highest regard for the quality of the f650.com site. Look forward to visiting with you often.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:47 am

Hope you enjoy your new toy. It's a great bike. If you get down here near Nashville, please call and come by for coffee and a ride.
Cheers
Bill
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:52 am

I'm sure you will love it.
Welcome a board.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:18 am

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
I rode my 2006 LT home from the dealership last night (85 miles). It was heavenly. I was a bit on edge riding in city traffic at rush hour, but once on the road I relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed it. I traded in my F650GS. I know, that's quite a transition....got a chuckle from some at the dealership too! But I was amazed when I took the LT for a test drive how well it handles and it didn't really seem as heavy as it is. I started riding at age 60, took the MSF Basic and Experienced Riders Courses, and this is my 3rd bike. I think I've finally found the keeper. I am determined to do whatever it takes to master this new ride. I thoroughly enjoyed my F650; it's really a fun bike but I wasn't having fun riding it. Reason is, that riding it took time away from doing something with my wife or just hanging out. I wanted something that we could have fun doing together, and she can't wait to ride with me. I think we will have great fun. Of course, I still have some work to do before going 2-up, but I think that will come fast. We're empty nesters, grandparents in our early 60's, healthy, and looking toward great enjoyment in riding and meeting other riders. Maybe we'll even see some of you around. I have followed this site for quite some time and appreciate the comments and advice. I also am a member of the Chain Gang and have the highest regard for the quality of the f650.com site. Look forward to visiting with you often.

Ray
Welcome to this board Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your wife will love the bike and love you for getting it.

I know that from first hand experience.

I started riding at 64 and now at 66 and 75,000 miles later(the last 13,300 on my LT)we enjoy the ride almost daily.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Ray,

Congratulations! I just started riding myself. Actually less than a month. I bought my '02 LT a couple of weeks before that. For me, it's a huge learning curve. I am taking it slow though. From what I can tell on this board, the honeymoon period for an LT lasts indefinitely. Unless you get a GT and and have to sell the LT. :-)

Bill

'02 K1200LTC Pacific Blue

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more!
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Ray, Congrats on your new toy. Hope you have many happy smiles with the miles with your wife.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Trip to Australia

Welcome, welcome and welcome.

How about you and your wife put the beasty on a boat and come over hear for a holiday and really stretch the LT's legs a bit. Now that you're both empty nesters, you should have plenty more disposable cash at the ready right! Grab your passports, pack you helmets and come on over. You won't regret it.

Summer in Australia is only about one month away.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia

[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in