Lambada readings [02] - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2016, 7:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Lambada readings [02]

My GS 911 shows a fault code of Lambada 368 it show 78 times in 2 days. What is this? O2? I t runs crapy and mpg is down to 26. Any help would be great. Jim
ps. 02 K1200LT 250 k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2016, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Lambada readings [02]

Google is your friend, BMW Lambda code 368 lists bad O2 sensor.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Re: Lambada readings [02]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside View Post
My GS 911 shows a fault code of Lambada 368 it show 78 times in 2 days. What is this? O2? I t runs crapy and mpg is down to 26. Any help would be great. Jim
ps. 02 K1200LT 250 k miles
The term Lambda-sensor and Oxygen-sensor are used as meaning the same in various technical documentation.

In your case, code 386 is normally attached to a longer corresponding description that you should have seen in GS911 interface. In general, code 368 is: "Lambda-Control, Upper Adaptation limit reached".

For BOSCH-Motronic 2.4 we have in K1200LT, this means that the system is running too lean and the acceptable / limit programmed in EFI system to make it richer has been reached (this is adaptation / compensation). It is programmed within the EFI that a certain acceptable percentage of richer/leaner can be done from the base fuel map - beyond these limits, the system will raise a red flag (a fault).

Based on past experience with this error code, I doubt your O2 sensor is defective: in this case error 368 is the messenger, not the cause. If indeed the O2 sensor was defective (no signal), you would have read error code 304 instead. Even if the GS911 graph function of O2 sensor shows a lean condition, you need to keep in mind the job of this sensor is to report what it sees, nothing more. The troubleshooter needs to use all other available info. Please read this from GS911 web site: http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/lambda

Of course, it is simpler / faster to just replace the O2 sensor and try a again for a few rides (after clearing the old faults using GS911). HOWEVER, based on my experience I would say there is a higher probability this error is caused by a low / weak fuel pressure. In the past we have seen this error when there is a split or damaged hose inside the fuel tank. This would happen either after a fuel-filter replacement (bad install) or because one of the 2 short rubber hose was very old and cracked (ethanol in modern fuel).

ALSO... note that a bad vacuum leak from intake system (multiple small vacuum hoses, rubber around throttle-bodies) would also cause the system to potentially generate the same fault: too lean and EFI tries to compensate richer.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jul 13th, 2016 at 8:13 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in