• 1 Post By newguy
  • 1 Post By BeemerJoe
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By BeemerJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Looking at an '07 K1200lt

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and BMW bikes. I am currently looking at an '07 lt with 16k miles on it. The bike is beautiful and was serviced by the dealer in April of this year. I couldn't find a drop of anything on the underside of the bike and the tires are new metzlers. Guy is asking $8500.

I currently have a Yamaha 650 v-star. Prior to that I had a Harley FLH. Do you think the transition to the LT will be that difficult having experience on the Harley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 9:43 am

Garage
Re: Looking at an '07 K1200lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and BMW bikes. I am currently looking at an '07 lt with 16k miles on it. The bike is beautiful and was serviced by the dealer in April of this year. I couldn't find a drop of anything on the underside of the bike and the tires are new metzlers. Guy is asking $8500.

I currently have a Yamaha 650 v-star. Prior to that I had a Harley FLH. Do you think the transition to the LT will be that difficult having experience on the Harley?
I just made the change from an FLH to a 02' LT and I can say there will be a transition but nothing major. The main thing that has taken effort for me is the FLH is a low rpm bike and the LT likes high rpm. I ride in town in second gear around 4-5k cruising but the bike doesn't wake up until after 5k and really gets fun around 7k. I have to remind myself I'm not going to blow it up, it's meant to use those rpms. The LT will handle better and be much smoother but it will be a bigger handful at stops due to the weight. The riding position doesn't take much getting used to and inside of a day you won't notice the difference in foot position.
One thing to consider is these bike require maintenance and it's very expensive to have it done at the dealer. If you think Harley is pricey you haven't seen BMW prices yet. A good portion of that cost can be mitigated by doing your own maintenance (which is pretty easy) and buying your parts from on-line dealers or no-dealer sites. The cost shouldn't deter you but be aware of it ahead of time.
I wasn't sure If I'd like the change but I can say I really enjoy the LT more than the FLH. My wife Loves it compared to the FLH so that makes life even better. I doubt you'll be disappointed in the bike if you get it, and probably wonder why you'd ever go back.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

If you have good riding skills, the transition isn't that hard. If you have bad riding habits such as not looking into turns or looking down as you come to a stop, the LT will highlight those bad habits.

The big thing is weight which you need to keep balanced. You can't ride sloppily as with a 400 lb bike.

And the cost of parts and service is breathtaking. And if you do the work yourself as many of us do, it is very time consuming. I estimate my LT has averaged 20 hours per year of maintenance and repair during the eight years I have owned it. My previous ride, 87 Kawasaki Voyager, required about 5 hours per year and the parts cost 1/3 of the price.

The LT is a much nicer ride, but is kind of like a high maintenance super model. It all comes at a cost.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If you have good riding skills, the transition isn't that hard. If you have bad riding habits such as not looking into turns or looking down as you come to a stop, the LT will highlight those bad habits.

The big thing is weight which you need to keep balanced. You can't ride sloppily as with a 400 lb bike.

And the cost of parts and service is breathtaking. And if you do the work yourself as many of us do, it is very time consuming. I estimate my LT has averaged 20 hours per year of maintenance and repair during the eight years I have owned it. My previous ride, 87 Kawasaki Voyager, required about 5 hours per year and the parts cost 1/3 of the price.

The LT is a much nicer ride, but is kind of like a high maintenance super model. It all comes at a cost.
I'm aware of the parts cost and such. Like buying a high end sports car. I do most of my service on my cars and truck, so that should not be an issue.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm aware of the parts cost and such. Like buying a high end sports car. I do most of my service on my cars and truck, so that should not be an issue.
I didn't find the forum until after I bought mine. Probably a good thing.

I read about getting sprayed with gas, final drive failures, slave cylinder leaks, o-ring leaks, broken trunk latches, ABS failure, frequent drops, etc.

I pre-emptively addressed many things such as the QDs, filing the trunk catches to lessen stress on the latch and, just recently, installed the FIBIB kit.

I have yet to drop mine, knock on wood. I don't find it much harder to handle than my Voyager.

I did have the FD start leaking at the pinion seal and had that rebuilt including proper preload and new bearing for good measure.

And my transmission seals all sprung leaks contaminating my clutch which I just replaced and documented here should you ever suffer from insomnia and need something to read.

I also had a very annoying off-idle hesitation/stumble which plagued me for years, but which seems to have disappeared during the clutch rebuild. I removed the FI and went over it thoroughly, replaced many rubber hoses and other parts and replaced O2 sensor. Not sure what fixed it, but don't really care. Only bad outcome is clutch chatter. I am not sure cause of that, but lead suspicion is less than perfect machining of pressure plate and clutch cover. If there is a next time, I will clench my teeth and send BMW $700 for new parts.

My ABS has been rock solid thus far as has the engine and electronics. However, the transmission, clutch and FD issues have made the LT my most trouble prone bike by a country mile. However, I soldier on with it as I have yet to find a better ride for me and my wife. Just rented a K1600 GTLE for a second time and it still falls short of the LT. It is lighter and has more power and I like the wet clutch, but the transmission is very clunky, it has serious driveline lash and the seat comfort, passenger in particular, and wind and weather protection pales in comparison to the LT.

I have test ridden the RT, Harley Ultra Glide, etc., and nothing comes close. I don't like V-twins and I won't own a Honda again (long story), so the Wing is out, but it is so far behind the technology curve that I wouldn't like it anyway.

So, I plan to keep investing time and money into my LT and pray that something equal or better comes along in a few years.
vernvernvern likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2016, 11:29 am

Everything said previously is correct. It is big and heavy especially at low speeds but when you get above that, it is amazingly spry.

If you can not flat foot the bike, it will be more of an issue as with those who say she has taken a nap on them as she has with me. They are wonderful bikes to ride.

If you get it, good luck and stay on this forum. I too didn't find this place before I bought mine and as Voyager, have spend some time every year doing maintenance and working to validate the things that can have issues to increase my reliability and confidence in the bile over longer rides. At this point, I would take her anywhere.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2016, 8:55 am

Your main challenges will be riding at walking speeds. I never knew how easy that could be until I rode a friend's big naked Harley to the drug store and back. Less than a fast trot on an LT is a puckering challenge.

And the first thing you'll do is drop it making a U-turn, one foot down, by tapping the front brake. We've all done it. At very low speeds keep your hands off the front brake lever when you've got the handlebars cocked over.

Oh -- one other thing: You'll have to get used to planning longer rides.
MBevans and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2016, 9:13 am

You can buy a 09 with low miles for that price.
saddleman likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 6:31 pm

I currently own '07 - purchased it brand new in fall 2006.
As of now, I have about 80k on it and no issues. I do my own service (oils, plugs, brakes etc...) I also did valves adjustment once.
The only failure so far was the quick connect for the gas line and the hydraulic center stand motor replaced (around $15).
The bike is awesome for long trips and for daily commuting. I recently test drove the new RT - nice bike, but it seemed like a downgrade from the LT.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Garage

Hi.
35 year former Harley fanatic here. 81 Shovelhead sold after 83,000 miles. 99 Night train I sold after blowing the engine at 162,000 miles, and an 07 FLHTCU that is sold a year and a half ago. It had 140,000 miles on it. Got disillusioned with all the wannabe Harley riders, and decided to become a traitor and switched to a BMW, and never looked back. Started with an R1150Rt. Great bike, but I didn't consider it a true long distance cruiser. Very fun to ride. Kept it for a year, and bought my 06 K1200lt about 6 months ago. What a joy to ride. Takes a little getting use to it with the ABS power brakes etc. Being 6'2", I never had any trouble transitioning. Yes the bike is heavy, but my FLHT was just as heavy. Just a little lower. As far as RPM: Sure it wakes up at higher RPM but the 05's and later models were improved, and I find that it runs just fine at 3k and above. '
I just finished a trip to KY and MA and back to Fl, putting on 3700 miles and I can honestly say that it was by far the most comfortable ride I've ever taken, and I've traveled thru all of mainland USA. Enjoy your LT. And don't look back
JNW003 likes this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 8:43 am

Garage

A Further though on buying a used LT. I'm thinking that buying a LOW mileage bike may not be as good an idea as buying a high mileage one. Here's my reasoning. I purchased a 2006 lt, in perfect condition. After owning it for a few days I discovered this forum, and started to panic. OMG so many issues from the fuel line to the weep hole to the brake servos. Well I've now put on over 10k on it since I bought it and could not be more happy. I've done and checked all the servicing myself, and found that all the upgrades and mod have already been accomplished. i.e. fuel line disconnect, California emissions can removed, brake service etc. The moral of the story that I'm trying to give is that if the bike has higher miles on it, it should show you that the previous owner liked to ride, and took care of his machine. Chances are if there was any problems to be had, it's been fixed. I personally bought the bike from a dealer, therefore I was pretty sure they had also inspected it. The horror stories on this forum can really scare prospective owners, but just check over the bike, and mileage be dammed. These bikes will go for a long long time. Enjoy.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 5:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

BeemerJoe has made some good points. Since buying a new GTLE, I have had my '07 LT for sale and been carefully reviewing ads for other '05 to '09 LTs on eBay. There have been several I've seen listed with very low mileage (one with only 497 miles on it!) which would really give me pause in considering. Those bikes have not been ridden, and although they may be cosmetically perfect, make me wonder about the condition of seals, brake lines, fluids, tires, etc., and they undoubtably have not had the typical preventative repairs done - internal gas tank fuel lines replaced, canisterectomies, fuel line quick disconnects, Speigler brake lines, Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks top case latch (I've seen several ads showing pictures of broken latches while not disclosing it was actually broken - including one currently for sale by a dealer), weep holes drilled, etc., etc. Nor have they also had any/many upgrades performed - obsolete GPS system replaced, lighting, aftermarket seats, new springs/shocks, fuse blocks, tire pressure monitoring system added, etc. I have also seen one lower mileage bike for sale where the owner had removed the EHCS and replaced it with a manual center stand as he did not want to spend $2,000 for a dealer installed new system, nor the knowledge that he could have spent $50 to replace system's the electric motor with one from a Honda scooter.

Just for grins, take a gander at the bikes currently listed on eBay and see if you can tell which one is mine...
BeemerJoe likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #13 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
BeemerJoe has made some good points. Since buying a new GTLE, I have had my '07 LT for sale and been carefully reviewing ads for other '05 to '09 LTs on eBay.
Just for grins, take a gander at the bikes currently listed on eBay and see if you can tell which one is mine...
On EBAY, a few K1200LT from 2007 and ONLY 1 from California (your profile), so your ad must be this one:
BMW K Series | eBay

The ad looks good.
JNW003 likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
You can buy a 09 with low miles for that price.
Maybe. That would be a nice deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a K1200LT 2009 coming up on 90K miles. It is loaded with every option including a trailer hitch but it is heavy - the K1600 is lighter and faster. I rode 1150 miles last weekend to MOA in Hamburg NY, Canada, etc. Low miles on that bike you are looking at so it will go a long way...
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 7:01 pm

The only problem is once you've owned and ridden an LT, you'll never be able to trade up...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 9:00 am

Garage

Thanks jnw003 for mentioning the "Fix it before it breaks" mod. I didn't know about it, and just ordered it immediately after reading your post. As far as I can determine, everything else has been done on the bike. Of course if I keep reading this forum, I'll probably find other things. I'm one of those guys that keep a bike until it doesn't run lol. And as Rattler50 said, you can't trade UP. The GTL just doesn't do it for me.. doesn't have the "lines" that the K has. The top box seems too far back. As far as power goes, I find the 1200 is perfect for touring.. I never found it lacking in power. Really love the bike. Hope it performs as long as my FLH did.. Which means I need to get at least over 150k on her. I know the R1150s were noted for 2 and 3k miles, but haven't read anything about the k1200 longevity.
JNW003 likes this.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2016, 9:05 am

Garage

I take it back.. Just found a thread that shows many riders well over 150k on their bikes. Good to know. Like the "spare" final drive hint.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in