• 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By mondrage
  • 3 Post By DanDiver
  • 2 Post By microdoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 8:16 am Thread Starter

K1200LT Rant

Hi all
Over the years, l've learned/gained a bit of knowledge from a guy named Chris Harris and l assume you all have seen this on you tube??

I only saw this after buying my LT but think it's quite funny - he's a made a dollar or 2 servicing BMW's over the years. He seems to prefer the older pre-2004 models and has a unique way of saying it....

I assume this has been seen by many of you already.

I'm selling mine but only as l can't justify keeping such a bike as this but won't be too worried if it doesn't sell as it 's such a unique ride.

Just a note: not having a go at him, l find him quite refreshing as he says it as he sees it - not PC, not to everybody's taste, just his opinion.

Ta, Nick

Last edited by ozboxer; Jul 10th, 2016 at 8:24 am. Reason: grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

Re: K1200LT Rant

I saw his video prior to purchasing my LT, I still purchased because we all have opinions some do not match others.
This guy likes R-RT's as I think he's tired of pulling bodywork, who know's, or a pint or two too many?
But he is good at making a rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozboxer View Post
Hi all
Over the years, l've learned/gained a bit of knowledge from a guy named Chris Harris and l assume you all have seen this on you tube??

I only saw this after buying my LT but think it's quite funny - he's a made a dollar or 2 servicing BMW's over the years. He seems to prefer the older pre-2004 models and has a unique way of saying it....

I assume this has been seen by many of you already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

I'm selling mine but only as l can't justify keeping such a bike as this but won't be too worried if it doesn't sell as it 's such a unique ride.

Just a note: not having a go at him, l find him quite refreshing as he says it as he sees it - not PC, not to everybody's taste, just his opinion.

Ta, Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Nice rant and he brings up some legitimate points.... But I still love my LT!
MBevans likes this.

Ken
El Paso Texas

2007 K1200LT
post #5 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2016, 6:21 pm

I needed a good laugh today.... I wish he would tell us really how he feels about BMW corporate.. :^)

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2016, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog View Post
I needed a good laugh today.... I wish he would tell us really how he feels about BMW corporate.. :^)
I am still wondering about his recent life transformation. He used to be slightly on the heavy side and foul-mouthed from sun rise to sun set ... at a minimum. He goes off-line for several months and comes back much lighter and looking like death warmed over. And his recent videos are much shorter and his language and demeanor greatly subdued.

A few folks inquired in comments to his videos, but I don't think he ever responded. I am guessing serious illness or personal crises such as divorce, but he sure looks and acts a lot different than before whatever the cause.
cws, palarimer and MBevans like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I am still wondering about his recent life transformation. He used to be slightly on the heavy side and foul-mouthed from sun rise to sun set ... at a minimum. He goes off-line for several months and comes back much lighter and looking like death warmed over. And his recent videos are much shorter and his language and demeanor greatly subdued.

A few folks inquired in comments to his videos, but I don't think he ever responded. I am guessing serious illness or personal crises such as divorce, but he sure looks and acts a lot different than before whatever the cause.
I'm reviving this thread because I have been interested in what has happened to Chris. I too saw this rant about our favorite BMW and wrote him off as what we refer to in Australia as a bit of a wanker. He had a very arrogant swagger about him, the kind of swagger that comes from believing in yourself and in the process deciding to not suffer fools gladly.
The other day I came across a very different looking Chris. He had ditched the facial hair. Ditched the neat hair cut in favor of, well what I would call neglected bed head. He also seemed to be drinking quite a lot of cheap red wine straight out of the bottle. It seems that some time in 2013 he had a bit of bad health, not sure what. He also talks about a good friend of his that used to be one of the best at rebuilding final drives. He lived in Canada and developed cancer. At around the same time it seems that Chris decided that his life at the time wasn't working. Didn't like where he was living any more and decided to sell up everything and begin a search for a new life for his family in a quieter location. He decided to take his family to Canada to support his good friend in his fight with cancer. Canada for one reason or another turned him away at the boarder and started a period in limbo where he didn't know what to do. He eventually made it to Canada but cancer was taking it's toll on his friend. He ahs had friends along the way who have supported him and his family. They have found a place to rent and Chris has now started to set up and re establish his BMW business. I have watched some of his videos where he thanks his friends with a tear in his eye and my heart breaks for him. I have seen his wife in some of the videos and my heart breaks for her. I see the love in her eyes that she has for him and she seems like a lovely lady but I also see the sadness and stress in her eyes.
I now see Chris as a quieter, humbler, and gentle man who is fighting the good fight. His videos where he talks about his journey to this point I find riveting and even in the silent parts I see the story.
I wish him all the best and I hope he finds happiness again. He has had years in the wilderness and I know how that feels. I too have had a very rough few years handling the estate of my Uncle and then my Mother. It's not easy looking after other peoples interests before your own. I see that Chris has been doing this and I find his selflessness with his friend to be very endearing.
I know this post has bugger all to do with the KLT but Chris is a brother because of his love of the brand.
Patric, Voyager and pwbentz like this.
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 7:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
I'm reviving this thread because I have been interested in what has happened to Chris. I too saw this rant about our favorite BMW and wrote him off as what we refer to in Australia as a bit of a wanker. He had a very arrogant swagger about him, the kind of swagger that comes from believing in yourself and in the process deciding to not suffer fools gladly.
The other day I came across a very different looking Chris. He had ditched the facial hair. Ditched the neat hair cut in favor of, well what I would call neglected bed head. He also seemed to be drinking quite a lot of cheap red wine straight out of the bottle. It seems that some time in 2013 he had a bit of bad health, not sure what. He also talks about a good friend of his that used to be one of the best at rebuilding final drives. He lived in Canada and developed cancer. At around the same time it seems that Chris decided that his life at the time wasn't working. Didn't like where he was living any more and decided to sell up everything and begin a search for a new life for his family in a quieter location. He decided to take his family to Canada to support his good friend in his fight with cancer. Canada for one reason or another turned him away at the boarder and started a period in limbo where he didn't know what to do. He eventually made it to Canada but cancer was taking it's toll on his friend. He ahs had friends along the way who have supported him and his family. They have found a place to rent and Chris has now started to set up and re establish his BMW business. I have watched some of his videos where he thanks his friends with a tear in his eye and my heart breaks for him. I have seen his wife in some of the videos and my heart breaks for her. I see the love in her eyes that she has for him and she seems like a lovely lady but I also see the sadness and stress in her eyes.
I now see Chris as a quieter, humbler, and gentle man who is fighting the good fight. His videos where he talks about his journey to this point I find riveting and even in the silent parts I see the story.
I wish him all the best and I hope he finds happiness again. He has had years in the wilderness and I know how that feels. I too have had a very rough few years handling the estate of my Uncle and then my Mother. It's not easy looking after other peoples interests before your own. I see that Chris has been doing this and I find his selflessness with his friend to be very endearing.
I know this post has bugger all to do with the KLT but Chris is a brother because of his love of the brand.
I have kept watching his videos and it has been painful at times. I think he certainly has been through a very rough patch personally and with his friend Bruno. I forget the name of Brunoís business, but he used to advertise in the ON magazine for his shop near, if memory serves, Iron Bridge, Canada. I rode through there a few years ago and wish now I had stopped to meet him.

My only fear now is that Chris is slipped into a downward spiral and isnít coming back out. He has talked now for months about getting back into the repair business, or more directly, into making videos to transfer his knowledge to others as his mortality is clearly top of mind. However, he has talked incessantly about getting started and getting ready, but he never seems ready enough to get started. I think he is afraid to really get back into it. Time will tell, but I am going to unsubscribe from his channel at the end of the summer if things keep on as they are. It seems he got stuck in limbo and now is unable to find his way out. It is a sad situation, I agree, as I always thought his videos were pretty good if you could ignore the trash talking and hubris. Much of the hubris is gone and much less of the trash talking remains, unfortunately, the last 6 months of videos have been nearly content-free and I can only spend so much time commiserating.
Gdrdocbmw likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:02 am

I hear what you are saying. There is only so much you can watch until it starts to drag you down as well. I hope he can pick himself up but he just seems so fundamentally changed.
Voyager likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
I hear what you are saying. There is only so much you can watch until it starts to drag you down as well. I hope he can pick himself up but he just seems so fundamentally changed.
Yep. He certainly has fundamentally changed and I think mostly for the good, but I fear the one change that isnít so positive is his desire to get things done. He seems to have fallen off the rails in that regard. Hopefully, he well get back on track.
Wazza likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 8:59 pm

He does bring up legitimate gripes. The LT is a PITA in some ways. And in others not so much. His tirade about the LT being a thirsty pig on fuel is a head scratcher. WHAT?? For it's size and weight It's better on fuel than anything else like it. She's 870 lbs. or so?? Then add luggage /Packed 2 up. To get 200- 250 MPG is amazing.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
To get 200- 250 MPG is amazing.
I'd settle for 1/2 of what your bike is getting..........
Scimitar likes this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 8:26 am

I pull a Hannigan Hack and I can go 200 miles before stopping for gas.
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 8:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
He does bring up legitimate gripes. The LT is a PITA in some ways. And in others not so much. His tirade about the LT being a thirsty pig on fuel is a head scratcher. WHAT?? For it's size and weight It's better on fuel than anything else like it. She's 870 lbs. or so?? Then add luggage /Packed 2 up. To get 200- 250 MPG is amazing.
I agree, but I have never gotten close to 200 MPG! You must have a really special LT.

I often get 50+ MPG though and I know few other touring bikes, the RT an obvious exception, that can do that loaded and riding two-up.
mondrage likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 22 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 11:03 pm

Quote:
I agree, but I have never gotten close to 200 MPG! You must have a really special LT.

I often get 50+ MPG though and I know few other touring bikes, the RT an obvious exception, that can do that loaded and riding two-up.
I usually get about 35 - 45 MPG a gallon depending on conditions. Your right about the 250. Best I got is 220ish, I usually get 185- 195miles to a tank,But still better than a Wing.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 5:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I usually get about 35 - 45 MPG a gallon depending on conditions. Your right about the 250. Best I got is 220ish, I usually get 185- 195miles to a tank,But still better than a Wing.
It was just a funny typo.

I vary from 32 to 55 depending on conditions. I think my average since new is 47 MPG. As to range,I have gotten as little as 180 and as much as 320. It depends greatly on wind speed, cruise speed, and temperature.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 22 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 10:20 am

Quote:
It was just a funny typo.

I vary from 32 to 55 depending on conditions. I think my average since new is 47 MPG. As to range,I have gotten as little as 180 and as much as 320. It depends greatly on wind speed, cruise speed, and temperature.
I don't think it's thirsty though. Not for it's size,weight.
Voyager likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #18 of 22 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 12:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't think it's thirsty though. Not for it's size,weight.
Nor do I.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 22 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 1:34 pm

The K12R is thirsty. I get 28mpg.
The LT depending on City (yes, I use it often as my daily commuter) makes 30-35mpg. But on the open road makes about 50mpg.
Outstanding for that big thing. Itís like moving a planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bruincounselor likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #20 of 22 Old Jul 4th, 2019, 7:52 am

If I had listened to everyone and ever video and every forum rant against the K1200 LT I would have missed out on about 8 years and 50,000 miles of, at the time, the best bike I have ever owned. Absolute pleasure and the people I have met and known through her too, were some of the best....

The same too with my GTL and now it's time again to go for a ride..... Just wish I was back in WV like last weekend.... What fun...
Gdrdocbmw, kbob12 and Scimitar like this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 22 Old Jul 4th, 2019, 8:58 am

I have had very few complaints about my K1200LT. On a 12,500 mile round trip from Ohio to Alaska in 2004, she averaged 54 mpg. My Ď08 GS and Ď09 RT regularly delivered 50 mpg. No complaints there. My biggest complaint was as I got older (now 72), I got weaker but the bike didnít get any lighter, so i have trouble getting her OFF the centerstand. Getting the LT up on the centerstand was solved by retrofitting the electro-hydraulic unit from later years. As for the battery, the original Gel Cell lasted 5 years, the replacement 6 years, and I will have to report back on how long the 3rd battery lasts. For 2-up touring, very few bikes can beat the LT for comfort, and the Mono-go single wheel trailer carries all the camping gear without being noticeable to the performance, handling or mpg. The LT isnít perfect, but it isnít a demon either. Iím glad for the experience Iíve had riding her.
kbob12 and Scimitar like this.
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2019, 8:14 am

Seems like MPG or gas millage is a sometimes concern, but that's an easy one to fix with your right wrist. The more fun, the lower your mileage. If you really want to baby the LT it is pretty easy to get in excess of 50. I did that occasionally, but that was rarely as much fun and only done when I didn't plan very well. I regularly got between 38-40.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in