Rear Brake Fluid - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Question Rear Brake Fluid

I have the flashing lights in the morning and on the way home all is OK. Therefore according to past posts I need to add fluid. I attempted this last night but I can only get to the rear fill but to access the front rear fill I would have to remove most of the tupperware. Question do I only need to top up the rear portion ?

John L Bass
2002 K1200lt Triked by Hannigan 2005 now LT stands for Luxury Trike
Carpe Diem <><
"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God then sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Stop Global Whining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 7:53 am

You will need to remove the right passenger foot peg and the right side panel. There are 3 bolts in the foot peg and 5 screws in the panel if memory serves me. You should be able to remove the top screw on the panel by gently pulling out on the overlapping fairing piece so that you can see the screw. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish the last time.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:39 am

I topped mine by removing a few of the side fairing screws near the brake res. and gently pulling the fairing out about 1/4". The tough part was getting the little screw lid off of the front part of the res. Take your time and it can be done. By the way, to stop the flashing lights I put in just a few drops of fluid. Just looking at the fill line you would have sworn it was full. Good luck.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 2:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Be sure to check the brake pad thickness on all three calipers. As the pads wear, more fluid is pulled into the calipers resulting in a lower level at the reservoirs and a possible flashing waring light. If you just top of the fluid, then top it off again the next time it flashes, eventually the pads will wear down to metal on metal. Better to take a look at the pads and be sure. A flashlight helps when they're in place, or you can pull the pins and pads in a couple of minutes.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 3:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

He has a TRIKE so I am not sure how they tie into the brake system for the rear brakes. May be harder to get at the reservoir as well. I just never looked at one up close and personal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 1:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Wow, good catch, John.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in