7Likes
  • 1 Post By MBevans
  • 3 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By Buff8stuff
  • 1 Post By nikosK1200LT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:21 am Thread Starter

front tire noise

hi when i picked up my LT they had installed and new front tire - on the short test ride didn't notice it but when i was slabbing it back. Every Time I made a slight lean i could hear a humming. I figured it was the front wheel bearings going on me. I check the bearings out on the stand and doesn't feel like there is any play in the. the machine has 40k miles so should be okay - BUT i read somewhere that the Metzlers are noisy and the way the front fairing and such accentuate the sound - any tips b4 i order new bearing would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:55 am

Re: front tire noise

IMHO, the older 880's are super noisy, I tossed mine after 4k miles, but even the Avon's are noisy on a lean.
I would lay odds that your low miles your wheel bearings are fine, kinda the way the LT's are with sounds magnified through the chassis/Tupperware.

I came from years of sport or sport touring bikes, and still have 'em, nothing ever howled except on the race track at full tilt! But the big K-LT makes lots of tire noise at a lean...
Tricky_dickey likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the info , kinda whats the word on th LT cuz it's so front heavy
will leave them until the winter service when i get to the bones of this machine
getting better at stripping the tupperware off now can do 1 side in 15 minutes

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 12:18 pm

What vintage of K-LT did you purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
thanks for the info , kinda whats the word on th LT cuz it's so front heavy
will leave them until the winter service when i get to the bones of this machine
getting better at stripping the tupperware off now can do 1 side in 15 minutes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Quote:
hi when i picked up my LT they had installed and new front tire - on the short test ride didn't notice it but when i was slabbing it back. Every Time I made a slight lean i could hear a humming. I figured it was the front wheel bearings going on me. I check the bearings out on the stand and doesn't feel like there is any play in the. the machine has 40k miles so should be okay - BUT i read somewhere that the Metzlers are noisy and the way the front fairing and such accentuate the sound - any tips b4 i order new bearing would be appreciated
Metzlers are not called howlers for nothing. same thing on mine, a very slight lean and they start to whine.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Turn the music up!!
MBevans and Tricky_dickey like this.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

06 Chrome -
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBevans View Post
What vintage of K-LT did you purchase?
2006 chrome -

see u have a ST4S as well - I have the 2 parked next 2 each other and the Duc looks like a mini bike
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Hey Tricky, do my test if you want and I believe you will feel like you are on a different bike. I had the same noise and tried everything, changed tires, replaced the front wheel bearings, checked all Tupperware for loose bolts, but, in vain. My last resort was to remove the windscreen and test ride it without a helmet. My 1999 LT was silent like a grave. I could even hear my exhaust melodic sound. I made up my mind it is the windscreen that traps all noises like a speaker box and even amplifies them. Let's hear the result from your test. You have to learn to live with this noise of an LT.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in