Blue Smoke - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Blue Smoke

Buying a 2000 K1200L, 48,000 miles. When the dealer started it up, blue smoke came out of the exhaust. He told me that this happens on this model when it sits too long on the kickstand without being started. Maybe about 3 weeks. The smoke did disappear after running for a bit, but I don't know if he's giving me a line or not. I know Ventures and Harleys and Hondas, but this will be my first BMW. ANyone every heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:30 pm

It's OK

Don't worry about it.. Because the engine is tilted sideways...

When the bike sits on the side stand oil can seep into the cylinders if it's just shut off and immediately put on the side stand.... They all do it... It's normal..

As long as it goes away after a bit... then you're fine....

Just remember to keep it standing straight up or even a little to the right for 15-30 secs after you shut it off and it'll never smoke....usually ......

Good luck, You'll love your LT..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:39 pm
DGM

Wink

It will smoke even if you leave it on the side stand half a day. Three weeks should have killed all the bugs for a block.
Don

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Blue Smoke

For a moment I thought this was a BMSW (Blue Motor Smoke Works). You must really love the bike or you wouldn't put up with it. Is it really that good of a ride? About how long can this motor last? 100,000 miles, or more?
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Yes it is...

Quote:
siwillia

Buying a 2000 K1200L, 48,000 miles. When the dealer started it up, blue smoke came out of the exhaust. He told me that this happens on this model when it sits too long on the kickstand without being started. Maybe about 3 weeks. The smoke did disappear after running for a bit, but I don't know if he's giving me a line or not. I know Ventures and Harleys and Hondas, but this will be my first BMW. ANyone every heard of this?

Yes is is that good of a ride.... It's just a little quirk....

Bob's motor cratered at 186,000 miles ........Many go over that...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwillia
For a moment I thought this was a BMSW (Blue Motor Smoke Works). You must really love the bike or you wouldn't put up with it. Is it really that good of a ride? About how long can this motor last? 100,000 miles, or more?
Parking on the centerstand pretty much eliminates the start up smoking, but even then if parked on a surface that leans it a little to the left it may smoke a little. Since the head is on the left side, and the side stand leans it to the left, any oil on the cylinders at shut down may slowly seep past the rings and into the combustion chamber. It does not do it all the time, just occasionally. I think it depends on how the ring gaps are positioned around the pistons, and which pistons are to the left when the engine stops.

Yes, it is that great a ride!

It is not at all unusual for a K engine to go well over 200,000 miles with no major work. One member here was WAY over 300,000 miles, and would undoubtedly put many more on, but the bike was totaled in an accident.

I had an unusual problem, in that a misdiagnosed vacuum leak caused detonation damage to my pistons, so I replaced them at 100,000 miles. There was NO really measurable wear in the engine, even the ring gaps were still within INSTALL tolerances! The crank bearings measured in install tolerances, so the engine went back together with the original bearings in it. There was absolutely no measurable cylinder wear. So basically, if you do not get well over 100,000, probably nearer 200,000, there is something unusual that happens. There will always be the rare early failure, but there have been only two or three including mine in the 5 years I have been on this site.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 8:50 pm

"Is it really that good of a ride?"
Yes, it is really that good of a ride. d.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Sometimes, before starting lean it to the other side for a few seconds, helps too.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Sometimes, before starting lean it to the other side for a few seconds, helps too.
Actually, that is right after stopping. Before starting would not do anything. The idea is that right after you shut down the engine, lean it slightly to the right for a few seconds to let the majority of the oil on the cylinder walls drain back to the sump and not sit there on the lower side of the cylinder behind the piston when the bike is put on the side stand.That oil can try to work it's way through the small clearances to the top of the piston, to be burned on start up.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Wink But not too far to the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Actually, that is right after stopping. Before starting would not do anything. The idea is that right after you shut down the engine, lean it slightly to the right for a few seconds to let the majority of the oil on the cylinder walls drain back to the sump and not sit there on the lower side of the cylinder behind the piston when the bike is put on the side stand.That oil can try to work it's way through the small clearances to the top of the piston, to be burned on start up.
...or you'll be joining the 'which way did you dump you LT poll.'

If you're looking for another don't worry about it, add me to the list.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't worry about which way to lean it while parking. Whatever smoke comes out always seems to be way behind me.

Too bad the Germans didn't just flip the engine across. Would have solved that problem easily.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 8:07 am

Yep but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I don't worry about which way to lean it while parking. Whatever smoke comes out always seems to be way behind me.

Too bad the Germans didn't just flip the engine across. Would have solved that problem easily.
Who wants a front wheel drive bike

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

That is a good question for you guys that know all about the design of this engine. Inquiring minds want to know.
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 2:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Who wants a front wheel drive bike
Nice.

Actually, Yamaha/Öhlins develop a hydraulically power front wheel drive assist. They said it worked great in loose traction (think dirt bike) and on heavier bikes (think large tourers). I imagine it added weight and cost which means unless someone could prove a significant benefit, it will remain in the R&D realm.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 2:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
That is a good question for you guys that know all about the design of this engine. Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't know why they designed the original K-motor that way, but once they did it was pretty much stuck there. The K11 and K12 motors are just incremental improvements, and flipping it would be an entire redesign.

Note that the new KGT has the sam swingarm as the R bikes, but that it is flipped to accommodate the new slant-4 motor.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in