Center Stand Lubrication for Pre 2005 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Center Stand Lubrication for Pre 2005

I have a 2002 year model LT and just recently center stand started to stick. After I get off the center stand, I now have to push it up the center stand with my foot so that it retracts all the way up.
I checked the manual. It says that the center stand has to be disassembled for lubrication. Is there any way of lubricating the center stand without taking it off? if I have to take it off, how difficult is it? The manual mentions that I have to have couple of BMW tools to disassemble the center stand...

Thanks in advance...

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 4:19 pm

The only hard part about removing the center stand is the removal of the spring. Someone suggested inserting pennies into the coils of the spring with it extended. This will keep the spring extended enough so that it can be easily removed. After you get the spring off, the center stand should come off with little difficulty

I didn't use this trick when I serviced my center stand and it took quite a bit of futzing with the spring to get it off and back on.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:17 pm

On my '02 - I used an old fashioned drum brake spring tool to remove the spring and get it back on. Kind that looks like some sort of wicked medevil torture pliars. Worked a champ.

hey, found a picy

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Yes, you CAN take it apart, but...

why bother? Spray the area of the bushings and pivot points with brake cleaner to get the superficial grime off. Then spray the same places with NAPA chain and cable lube or similar product. This stuff is a grease type product with a volatile solvent the allows penetration of the lube and then evaporates leaving the heavier bodied grease. Work the centerstand up and down and reapply the lube. It will loosen up and the lube penetrates. Wipe off the excess.

Is this as good as a disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild? No, but it will work and is a time saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
I have a 2002 year model LT and just recently center stand started to stick. After I get off the center stand, I now have to push it up the center stand with my foot so that it retracts all the way up.
I checked the manual. It says that the center stand has to be disassembled for lubrication. Is there any way of lubricating the center stand without taking it off? if I have to take it off, how difficult is it? The manual mentions that I have to have couple of BMW tools to disassemble the center stand...

Thanks in advance...
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
why bother? Spray the area of the bushings and pivot points with brake cleaner to get the superficial grime off. Then spray the same places with NAPA chain and cable lube or similar product. This stuff is a grease type product with a volatile solvent the allows penetration of the lube and then evaporates leaving the heavier bodied grease. Work the centerstand up and down and reapply the lube. It will loosen up and the lube penetrates. Wipe off the excess.

Is this as good as a disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild? No, but it will work and is a time saver.
That really only works if you have removed the "o" rings that keep the grease in and water out. Otherwise you are only lubing half of the wear area. Best to disassemble and clean first also to see if you still have the "o" rings.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, best to take it apart, clean everything well, and grease it before reassembly. No special tools are needed, except for fiddling with the spring as mentioned above. It's a bit of work, but well worth it. Much easier if you have a lift table with a front wheel chock, or a friend who does.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 4:40 am

When I took mine apart I drilled and taped and installed zerk fittings. I've never had it apart since - I just use a grease gun.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 6:34 am

I have mine off for another reason right now. Spraying the center stand with lub will only treat the symptoms, not fix the problem.

The spring is hard getting off but the pennies between the coils work. Nickles work a little better maybe because they are thinker. I used a small pair of needle nose vice grips to push them in between the coils when the stand was extended. You may still have to fight to get the springs (there are two of them) removed from the attach point on the stand.

The two bolts holding the pivot pins are threadlocked so I used a heat gun to soften the locktite. There is a circlip on the left (?) pivot pin to remove. and then you just press (beat) the pivot pins out.

The parts list does not include the p/n for the o-rings so you are on your own for finding replacements. Any auto parts place that has a selection of o-rings should be able to find one or four to fit. That's my afternoon "on the way home from work" job for today.

I was thinking about the grease to use when I put it back together. Lubraplate (sp?) is one consideration, molylub for CV joints is another. Any one have any suggestions? I figure with a load of 400 pounds on each pin I want some good stuff in there. I'm not sure I want to drill and thread holes for a grease fitting in that location. Better to just pull the bolts and do it right.

I believe in an old post long ago several members said they threaded the holes in the pivot pins so they could use a bolt to pull them out making it easier and faster to do the job. Might be something to consider.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
---------------I believe in an old post long ago several members said they threaded the holes in the pivot pins so they could use a bolt to pull them out making it easier and faster to do the job. Might be something to consider.
That was me. I used a 7/16 tap (fine/course thread pitch not important, match whatever bolt you can get) and tapped about three threads into the bushing. Next time it was a snap to use a 7/16 bolt to pull the bushings out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Yes Dave, that was you, wasn't it. Thanks again for all your help.........

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in