Low MPG - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By St0rm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Garage
Low MPG

My 2002 LT seems to be getting 125-145 on ~5.3 gallons (~25 mpg in city riding. I commute 1 up around 13 miles each way (25-28 miles per day) with speeds ranging 30-60 mph. I fill up on the side stand to the bottom of the filler and have ran it until the light comes on. I've tried keeping the rpms low (<5.5k) and tried >5.5k with no real difference. I've replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter and lines, spark plugs, cut the brown wire reset the TPS and run premium fuel. It idles and rides smooth with no noticeable operating issues just low fuel economy. The plugs had a nice tan color, no fuel smell from leaks or rich condition. What else could cause the mpg to be so low?

I need to run a few more tanks to get a more accurate number since the fuel lines have been replaced and possibly reset the TPS again. I also need to run a few tanks at highway speed to see the difference there. I'm just looking for other items I may be missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:27 am

Re: Low MPG

Calculate your normal highway cruising mileage. If low, when cruising for extended distances, then look for issues. General mileage is going to depend somewhat on riding style, roads etc so the best gauge is highway. If you are severely low there then start looking for problems.

Brown wire cut? Who did it and why? Was there any difference prior to the brown wire being cut as in, did it solve the issue or did mileage drop after?

You may have to get hold of a GS911 and engage Sailor to diagnose this if you are low on highway. The Temp sensor may be off a little and it would use more fuel. Plugs are normal color so not too rich but maybe a little.

What are you using to reset the TPS? Are you doing the ignition and throttle thing? you are Not physically adjusting it i would expect.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Calculate your normal highway cruising mileage. If low, when cruising for extended distances, then look for issues. General mileage is going to depend somewhat on riding style, roads etc so the best gauge is highway. If you are severely low there then start looking for problems.

Brown wire cut? Who did it and why? Was there any difference prior to the brown wire being cut as in, did it solve the issue or did mileage drop after?

You may have to get hold of a GS911 and engage Sailor to diagnose this if you are low on highway. The Temp sensor may be off a little and it would use more fuel. Plugs are normal color so not too rich but maybe a little.

What are you using to reset the TPS? Are you doing the ignition and throttle thing? you are Not physically adjusting it i would expect.
I've been off the bike for a few weeks so I haven't had a chance to get some good highway runs to determine my mileage. That's my next step since city riding can sway the numbers considerably.

I cut the brown wire a few months ago when I noticed poor mpg and hesitation at take off. The symptoms came at the same time as the >80°F days. It helped the hesitation a little bit but it returned and that's when I found the internal fuel line was cracked. I replaced the fuel lines and have ran just under a tank through it since. I'm sitting at 100 miles and approximately a 1/4 tank left. All of the hesitation is gone, I could reconnect it and see if there is a difference.

I did the disconnect the battery for ~30 minutes, turn on the ignition, throttle twist x3, ignition off, ignition on and ride. I did that when I changed the O2 sensor and it seemed to increase the mpg but not by much. I may need to do it again and then take a good run on some back roads.

post #4 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
I've been off the bike for a few weeks so I haven't had a chance to get some good highway runs to determine my mileage. That's my next step since city riding can sway the numbers considerably.

I cut the brown wire a few months ago when I noticed poor mpg and hesitation at take off. The symptoms came at the same time as the >80°F days. It helped the hesitation a little bit but it returned and that's when I found the internal fuel line was cracked. I replaced the fuel lines and have ran just under a tank through it since. I'm sitting at 100 miles and approximately a 1/4 tank left. All of the hesitation is gone, I could reconnect it and see if there is a difference.

I did the disconnect the battery for ~30 minutes, turn on the ignition, throttle twist x3, ignition off, ignition on and ride. I did that when I changed the O2 sensor and it seemed to increase the mpg but not by much. I may need to do it again and then take a good run on some back roads.
Since you found a different cause in the internal fuel line, at least for the time being, I would reconnect the brown wire and start there since the brown wire cut does install an alternate fuel map. The secondary map may have temporarily masked the fuel line issue. If it ran fine in previous years at over >80°F then lets take it back to stock and look at how it does there. You can always cut it again. Not all bikes need the brown wire solution.

My favorite injector/fuel system cleaner is Techron, arguably one of the better ones out there and that would be something to try short of removal/clean and calibration if restoring the brown wire does not help with the mileage.

After that, it is GS911 time to see what is going on with the motronic. Let us know when you get some highway mileage on her and what the result is.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Garage

check and or change o2 sensor if mileage seems that low, combined driving on my 2000 lt never seems to be below 35 mpg

usually in the 40's

2000 K1200LT & 86 K75 for fun again

Prev rides
1992 BMW K75
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1985 Goldwing
1977 Yamaha RD400
1982 Honda MB5
1979 Yamaha XS 650

if it ain't fun, don't own it
post #6 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Since you found a different cause in the internal fuel line, at least for the time being, I would reconnect the brown wire and start there since the brown wire cut does install an alternate fuel map. The secondary map may have temporarily masked the fuel line issue. If it ran fine in previous years at over >80°F then lets take it back to stock and look at how it does there. You can always cut it again. Not all bikes need the brown wire solution.

My favorite injector/fuel system cleaner is Techron, arguably one of the better ones out there and that would be something to try short of removal/clean and calibration if restoring the brown wire does not help with the mileage.

After that, it is GS911 time to see what is going on with the motronic. Let us know when you get some highway mileage on her and what the result is.
I just bought the bike a few months ago with 37,000 miles on it so it spent a fair amount of time sitting. I think the injector cleaner is definitely in order. I'll pick it up and run it through the next few tanks. When I got the bike the temps were below 80° and it seemed to run fine at that time. About a week after getting it the temps hit over 80 and the hesitation started. The brown wire helped some but it may have been covering the beginning of the hose failure like you said. I figured with the temps here being 90-100 every day it wouldn't hurt to leave the wire cut but returning to stock makes sense.
Would there be a need to rest the motronic TPS when changing maps or when there is a change in the fuel system? If I had a hole in my fuel line when I did the last TPS reset if that could be causing an issue now that I have a intact system. I don't know how much pressure was being lost or how much that makes a difference with the TPS.
post #7 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post
check and or change o2 sensor if mileage seems that low, combined driving on my 2000 lt never seems to be below 35 mpg

usually in the 40's
That was my initial diagnosis from reading here. I installed a new O2 sensor and it seemed to bump it from ~25 to ~35 mpg but then I found the hole in the fuel line. I replaced the fuel lines and the mpg appears to be around the ~25 mpg still. I would expect a mid to high 30's for city and 40's for highway from what the general consensus is.
post #8 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Quote:
I just bought the bike a few months ago with 37,000 miles on it so it spent a fair amount of time sitting. I think the injector cleaner is definitely in order. I'll pick it up and run it through the next few tanks. When I got the bike the temps were below 80° and it seemed to run fine at that time. About a week after getting it the temps hit over 80 and the hesitation started. The brown wire helped some but it may have been covering the beginning of the hose failure like you said. I figured with the temps here being 90-100 every day it wouldn't hurt to leave the wire cut but returning to stock makes sense.
Would there be a need to rest the motronic TPS when changing maps or when there is a change in the fuel system? If I had a hole in my fuel line when I did the last TPS reset if that could be causing an issue now that I have a intact system. I don't know how much pressure was being lost or how much that makes a difference with the TPS.
It couldn't hurt to do the reset. I don't know if switching to a different map resets that data in the motronic or not. If it had trouble idling, then i would certainly do the procedure after reconnecting.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You might consider a switch for the brown wire so you have the best of both worlds. Is the temp. sensor in the airbox connected? Should only do one at a time. Should run Premium fuel.

About the only thing consistent with poor fuel milage is a bad o2 sensor, I know you replaced it, but that’s about it. I would concentrate in that area - disconnected wires or just a bad sensor.

I see no rhyme or reason why fixing a split line in the fuel tank would increase/decrease your milage, the engine would run poorly but wouldn’t use extra fuel.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #10 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 9:37 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
I installed a new O2 sensor and it seemed to bump it from ~25 to ~35 mpg but then I found the hole in the fuel line. I replaced the fuel lines and the mpg appears to be around the ~25 mpg still.
Where did you get the fuel line? If you got the correct stuff it would have been OVER PRICED... I am wondering if you have a low fuel flow. To much air, not enough fuel... 911 time.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #11 of 35 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Where did you get the fuel line? If you got the correct stuff it would have been OVER PRICED... I am wondering if you have a low fuel flow. To much air, not enough fuel... 911 time.
He got submersible line, I remember the thread. I suggested the nylon lines from BBY but he had already used the proper rubber lines as he didn't have the time to wait on ordering it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
You might consider a switch for the brown wire so you have the best of both worlds. Is the temp. sensor in the airbox connected? Should only do one at a time. Should run Premium fuel.

About the only thing consistent with poor fuel milage is a bad o2 sensor, I know you replaced it, but that’s about it. I would concentrate in that area - disconnected wires or just a bad sensor.

I see no rhyme or reason why fixing a split line in the fuel tank would increase/decrease your milage, the engine would run poorly but wouldn’t use extra fuel.
I reconnected the wire with a bullet connector for now. I can disconnect and reconnect as needed and change to a switch later if needed. I'm pretty sure the temp sensor is still connected since I've never disconnected it. I'll double check it just to make sure. I've been running premium fuel so that shouldn't be an issue.

I replaced the O2 sensor with a new one thinking that was the problem. If I can't find any other solution I can return it for a new one and see if that changes anything. I checked it prior to installation for reactivity and it was working so I'm doubtful that's the issue. I will double check the connection to make sure that's not an issue.

To my understanding if you have a clogged injector or low fuel pressure to the injector the cylinder doesn't get as much fuel as it should. This lean condition is read by the O2 sensor which then tells the injectors to be "on" longer to richen the combustion mixture. I'm not 100% clear on why it would cause an increase in fuel consumption. My thought is you'd still use the same amount of fuel but injected over a longer time period and most likely develop running issues (misfire, low power, etc.).
post #13 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I picked up the submersible lines from the dealer and the external hoses I picked up at the auto parts store. The stock parts were over priced at $60 for the two parts, next time I'll buy it from BBY. The external is 5/16 SAE 30R10 left long enough not to crimp themselves. I'm leaning toward dirty injectors at the moment. If it sat as much as I believe it did then it makes sense the old fuel and deteriorating fuel line could of sent junk to the injectors. I'll try the injector cleaner and see if that helps. If not then I'll have to find someone with a 911 to help me. My local dealer doesn't think they have the software to talk to my bike anymore.
post #14 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
He got submersible line, I remember the thread. I suggested the nylon lines from BBY but he had already used the proper rubber lines as he didn't have the time to wait on ordering it.
Yes, that's correct. Turns out as long as it took the dealer I probably could of ordered it from BBY. Oh well, at least I learned how to change it without pulling the tank. lol

I reconnected the brown wire and noticed a little bit of hesitation this morning but it could of been in my head. It was just under 80 when I rode in so this afternoon will tell me if there is a difference.
post #15 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Here is a place to send your injectors if you want. I'm going to do my K bike this winter:
Mr Injector - Home

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #16 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 7:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Where is the plug that you use for GS911. I don't remember seeing a plug for it. Thanks Jim
post #17 of 35 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside View Post
Where is the plug that you use for GS911. I don't remember seeing a plug for it. Thanks Jim
On my 2001 it is under the seat on the right side behind the battery in a clip with a grey cap on it near the brake reservoir. May vary on different models with different ABS.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 35 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 5:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
On my 2001 it is under the seat on the right side behind the battery in a clip with a grey cap on it near the brake reservoir. May vary on different models with different ABS.
Same on my 2007.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 35 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

With the brown wire reconnected and 100°F I did notice a slight hesitation on takeoff on the way home. It wasn't as responsive on takeoff but once I was moving and >2.5k RPM it seemed to act as normal. I filled the tank and added Techron injector cleaner to see if that helps. I reset the motronic with the rest button just to see what the initial reading looked like. It is showing right around 30 mpg for what it's worth. When I filled us and calculated the mpg it came out to ~30 mpg. I'll take some long runs on the interstate this weekend and get some better numbers.

I did notice it got hotter then it has been but that could of been due to the 100°F temp, high humidity, stop and go traffic and running in lower gears. Both fans were working and there was plenty of coolant but it did get hot enough at one point for the light to come on. If it happens again I'll double check to make sure I don't have air in the system and order a new radiator cap since this one is probably the original.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #20 of 35 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:26 am

Correct me if I am wrong no where where do I see that you are actually manually calculating the mileage. If you are using the gauge, not accurate. If you are reading the little sensor screen on the bike all it is is an algorithm to do a rough calculation. If you really want the number then ride a tank full of gas, fill up and divide into the miles.
post #21 of 35 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantkapteyn View Post
Correct me if I am wrong no where where do I see that you are actually manually calculating the mileage. If you are using the gauge, not accurate. If you are reading the little sensor screen on the bike all it is is an algorithm to do a rough calculation. If you really want the number then ride a tank full of gas, fill up and divide into the miles.
I have been manually calculating it knowing the motronic is notoriously inaccurate. I refer to the motronic as a general reference only and to help determine if I need to calibrate it. This last fill up was 4.8 gallons in 142 miles (29.58 mpg). Of course city driving makes this a cautionary number only. Once I get a few more tanks in city and at highway speeds I'll have a better idea of my manually calculated mpg.
post #22 of 35 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Garage

A quick update. I've ran a bottle of Techron through the bike over the course of three tanks. I also had the brown wire reconnected for all three tanks and filled it up on the side-stand to the bottom of the filler cup.
Tank 1: Additive, city commuting one-up speed ranged from 20-65mph 24 miles round trip each day. 173.3 miles / 5.103 gallons - 33.96 mpg
Tank 2: No additive, mixed highway two-up (80+ mph for roughly 125 miles) and city commute as above for remainder. 173.1 miles / 4.601 gallons - 37.62 mpg
Tank 3: Additive, city commuting one-up as above. 177.9 miles / 5.064 gallons - 35.13 mpg

I filled up last night and disconnected the brown wire once I got home. There was a fair amount of hesitation/bogginess below 3k rpm so I wanted to see how it runs with the alternate map. This morning I could tell the difference as the hesitation was gone. I'll run a few tanks through with the this map to see what or if there is any difference in economy.

I haven't had a chance to just hit the interstate and run a few tanks through to set a highway mpg yet. I may be making a trip to Houston in the next few weeks that will give me a good long run. It did appear to get much better mileage on the interstate the other day going off the amount of miles versus the gas gauge indicator. It may turn out to be she's just a gas pig in the city and really prefers the open road.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #23 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 10:22 am

Garage

My mileage is a little lower than before, may need oil change

just did clutch and changed o2 sensor while it was apart, now cannot get more than upper 30 mpg

May have put heavier trans and fd lube in?

2000 K1200LT & 86 K75 for fun again

Prev rides
1992 BMW K75
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1985 Goldwing
1977 Yamaha RD400
1982 Honda MB5
1979 Yamaha XS 650

if it ain't fun, don't own it
post #24 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 10:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

just did clutch and changed o2 sensor while it was apart, now cannot get more than upper 30 mpg

You would be hard pressed to measure a fuel mileage difference based on differen oil viscosity. If you are seeing a measurable difference, something else is going on. Have you checked codes with a GS-911?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 10:58 am

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You would be hard pressed to measure a fuel mileage difference based on differen oil viscosity. If you are seeing a measurable difference, something else is going on. Have you checked codes with a GS-911?
Hmmmm, did this just become an oil thread.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #26 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:

You may want to rest the TPS since you changed the O2 sensor. The new one may be reading different than the old one making the Motronic think it's in a different running condition.

I plan on running a few tank through as is and if it isn't better on the highway I'll reset my TPS and see if it changes things. I don't want to change more than one thing at a time so I know what helps and what doesn't.
post #27 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 8:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You may want to rest the TPS since you changed the O2 sensor. The new one may be reading different than the old one making the Motronic think it's in a different running condition.

I plan on running a few tank through as is and if it isn't better on the highway I'll reset my TPS and see if it changes things. I don't want to change more than one thing at a time so I know what helps and what doesn't.
I have never seen a difference after the "reset" procedure. I have always just had to be patient and ride to get things back in order.

I just computed the first three fill-ups since my clutch repair. For reference, I normally average 47 MPG. I got 40, 45 and then 48. So it took me about three full tanks to get back to normal.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 8:51 pm

Quote:
I have never seen a difference after the "reset" procedure. I have always just had to be patient and ride to get things back in order.

I just computed the first three fill-ups since my clutch repair. For reference, I normally average 47 MPG. I got 40, 45 and then 48. So it took me about three full tanks to get back to normal.
Given the so-called Adaptives-values (also called learning abilities) of these BOSCH Motronic version, your results make perfect sense (+/- 20% maximum changes from 40 to 48). The system keeps track of adjustments needed based on O2 feedback (when in close-loop mode). These are kept as a matrix for RPM + TPS in each cell as adaptives compare to basic fuel map. Then, later, after a few rides, these new adaptives are applied all over the map even when the system in NOT in close-loop mode.

HOWEVER, when riders of K1200LT reports mileage as low as 30 or 32 mpg, then something else is NOT right. I doubt very much you will eventually get 45 or 50 mpg even after a few rides in such case. One must investigate other causes from mechanical (low tire pressure, brake dragging) to more fancy EFI related, including general engine tuning (air-filter, valves, hall-effect-timing is off, spark plugs...).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #29 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Given the so-called Adaptives-values (also called learning abilities) of these BOSCH Motronic version, your results make perfect sense (+/- 20% maximum changes from 40 to 48). The system keeps track of adjustments needed based on O2 feedback (when in close-loop mode). These are kept as a matrix for RPM + TPS in each cell as adaptives compare to basic fuel map. Then, later, after a few rides, these new adaptives are applied all over the map even when the system in NOT in close-loop mode.

HOWEVER, when riders of K1200LT reports mileage as low as 30 or 32 mpg, then something else is NOT right. I doubt very much you will eventually get 45 or 50 mpg even after a few rides in such case. One must investigate other causes from mechanical (low tire pressure, brake dragging) to more fancy EFI related, including general engine tuning (air-filter, valves, hall-effect-timing is off, spark plugs...).
I suspect it depends on riding regimen. I live in a rural area and ride about 80% highway and maybe 20% city. And most rides are at least 20 minutes so I spend most of my time closed loop.

One who rode mostly short trips in stop and go traffic, might well yield closer to 35 as normal. The key is when mileage changes, when nothing else obvious has changed. That is why I log every fill-up and keep running MPG calculations for every tank. I can quickly see when a change is occurring.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 35 Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 9:12 pm

Quote:
I suspect it depends on riding regimen. I live in a rural area and ride about 80% highway and maybe 20% city. And most rides are at least 20 minutes so I spend most of my time closed loop.

One who rode mostly short trips in stop and go traffic, might well yield closer to 35 as normal. The key is when mileage changes, when nothing else obvious has changed. That is why I log every fill-up and keep running MPG calculations for every tank. I can quickly see when a change is occurring.
Great addition: I should have stated that 30 to 32 MPG was NOT good in mixed riding condition (not too much stop / go) Agree that these numbers may vary a lot for each riders depending on his type or riding and also elevation (Colorado...). Of course, as you have stated, do a few tanks of mostly highway rides and check / calculate mileage yourself based on receipt gallons (do not trust computer estimate for a 2005-2009 model - no such gadget on 1999-2004).

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #31 of 35 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I ride my LT to & from work every day (ten minutes to, twenty minutes from) and for any other running around I do by myself in a urban/suburban setting. If I get out for just a ride I hit highways.

I normally get 36 - 38 city, low to mid forties when I'm able to get some highway rides mixed in. Straight up long highway rides net high forties low fifties. The Lt really doesn't seem to like stop and go for mileage. After any work that requires a TPS reset my mileage goes way down for a while. After replacing O2 sensor (the last thing I did that I reset for) I dropped down to the high twenties to low thirties for the first tank, then slowly started coming up and got better after a couple of 2-3 hour highway rides.

After doing any work that could affect mileage, I'd give it at least a couple tanks before even checking. Get out on a couple longer rides. Try resetting the OBC regularly while going down the highway (I know it's not extremely accurate,) watching the MPG's run clear up to 99 on occasion then dropping down to the twenties is really eye opening. It will vary quite a bit for a while then become more steady at an average that you'll recognize. It's going to be a lot different for people living in various landscapes. You may get high sixties riding all the way through Kansas to Nebraska then see a marked decrease as you get further into Wyoming and think you need a tanker following you through Utah.

Your weight and how much gear you carry is also going to factor in on a bike. My weight sways between 260 - 290, I always have my pack (man purse) with me unless I'm going to get groceries or something else that requires trunk space, along with an assortment of "just in case" stuff, lose in the trunk and saddlebags. I have offset a bit of weight by going with a Remus exhaust and a Shorai battery.

I have been able to see a noticeable impact on gas mileage changing riding style as well. By giving myself plenty of time, shifting early, avoiding stopping completely at lights, staying at or just below the posted, I am able to raise my MPG by 2-3. I am normally a fairly aggressive rider. I want to get there 5 minutes ago, I hate riding near a car (even worse a group of cars in heavy traffic) and like going quickly through the roundabouts.

All this goes to say: lots of things can and will have an effect on how much fuel you burn. If there doesn't seem to be an issue with how the engine is running or anything else wrong with the bike a variance in gas mileage is pretty insignificant as long as it's not severe enough to think fuel is leaking somewhere.

P.S. As I recall my MPG also went down a couple after I ditched the bias plys for radials (opposite of the way it's supposed to work.) I imagine that has to due with the softer compounds and being able to ride with a little more spirit.
post #32 of 35 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Question Re: Low MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
- no such gadget on 1999-2004).
Umm, my '02 has it.
post #33 of 35 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
Umm, my '02 has it.
My 2001 Icon has it. Here is a thread discussion of the different models and how to tell them apart. Post 7 seems to have it pretty well summed up.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...fferences.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #34 of 35 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 6:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am normally a fairly aggressive rider. I want to get there 5 minutes ago, I hate riding near a car (even worse a group of cars in heavy traffic) and like going quickly through the roundabouts.
I was just informed that "Aggressive" driving actually has a legal definition that I don't want to be associated with.

So let me clarify: I am a purposeful, assertive rider. I'm not always angry or endangering others. I drive with deliberation AND care. I may occasionally be going a little faster than the posted and will take advantage of an opportunity to get further ahead in traffic. I do not tail gate, cut other vehicles off, etc. I have been known to "salute" cagers that do one of the "I didn't see him" moves, but I don't rage about it.
I'm actually a nice guy.

Unless you push me far enough to get under my skin. Don't get under my skin.
post #35 of 35 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I was just informed that "Aggressive" driving actually has a legal definition that I don't want to be associated with.

So let me clarify: I am a purposeful, assertive rider. I'm not always angry or endangering others. I drive with deliberation AND care. I may occasionally be going a little faster than the posted and will take advantage of an opportunity to get further ahead in traffic. I do not tail gate, cut other vehicles off, etc. I have been known to "salute" cagers that do one of the "I didn't see him" moves, but I don't rage about it.
I'm actually a nice guy.

Unless you push me far enough to get under my skin. Don't get under my skin.

I am much more careful in what I say and post since taking Massad Ayoob's MAG40 course. Lawyers can use even obvious jesting comments against you should they see a need.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in