• 1 Post By St0rm1
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By OKUIII
  • 1 Post By Ride2Ski

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Rant

So I am in the middle of the 24k service and I keep adding on things to change for the benefit of my own mind. However, this worthless city I live in, Springfield, has very limited places to purchase any needed items, such as fuel injection clamps or crimp clamps. Even the idiots at O'Reilly's didn't know what a fuel injection clamp was. Anyway, now I am waiting for stuff to roll in via snail mail as the closest BMW bike shop is 90 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Re: Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
So I am in the middle of the 24k service and I keep adding on things to change for the benefit of my own mind. However, this worthless city I live in, Springfield, has very limited places to purchase any needed items, such as fuel injection clamps or crimp clamps. Even the idiots at O'Reilly's didn't know what a fuel injection clamp was. Anyway, now I am waiting for stuff to roll in via snail mail as the closest BMW bike shop is 90 miles away.
Beemer bone yard sells maintenance kits. I've used them, pleased with the service.

MaxBMW is a great place to buy parts. Good micro fishe, great communication via email from Drew who manages the mail order parts. They ship quickly and give you status updates: when order placed, when order shipped, etc.

Do you like M&Ms?
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Beemer bone yard sells maintenance kits. I've used them, pleased with the service.

MaxBMW is a great place to buy parts. Good micro fishe, great communication via email from Drew who manages the mail order parts. They ship quickly and give you status updates: when order placed, when order shipped, etc.

Do you like M&Ms?
I have used both Max and Beemer boneyard and I am very pleased, but the fact that I have to order clamps just to get the right ones drives me nuts. If I could, I would open a BMW motorcycle dealership and shop in this town. Then I could have access to all the parts I needed.

And you have to be a communist to not like M&M's! HAHA!

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 1:03 pm

I wonder if a PEX plumbing clamp would work?
Available had plumbing and home centers.

Addendum: never mind, I just checked, 1/2 Pex clamp is too big.
In a pinch I'd just use a stainless screw type pipe clamp...
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: Rant

You have a shop only 90 miles away?
Patric likes this.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:11 am

Garage

Quote:
Don't feel bad, I had a similar experience with O'Reilly's. The kid had no clue what the difference was in clamps or hoses. This is one of the reasons folks stopped going to the local stores, they just pull parts and don't know anything. It used to be they knew what they were selling but not so much today. Hardware stores are getting the same way.
ProfSnape likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

On my LT, I used stainless steel clamps from my Oetiker stepless ear clamp kit (#18500060) for the fuel lines, purchased through Amazon (also used the kit to fix a garden hose...).

There are advantages to living in large cities - I have 7 BMW dealers within a 50 mile radius of me and can basically get pretty much anything I need locally. The disadvantage is dealing with a gazillion people and traffic...
ProfSnape likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Get a drone and fly it over and they can load up your parts...New air mail delivery.....hehehehe
ProfSnape likes this.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 1:18 am

Hey, Snape. I hail from Champaign. We will have to ride some time. Does Springfield have a BMW club? Champaign does have a BMW bike shop, but no clubs.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Garage

No clubs that I am aware of. Would love to go riding sometime, as soon as I get her back together. The rest of my parts come in this week, I just got a new torque wrench to finish off the new brake lines and as soon as I put the performance chip in I can put the tank on get to serious work.

There are some great back roads to ride on between here and Champaign, especially some of the older two lane highways. I will let you know as soon as I am up and running.
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

There is a club in Springfield, IL. "Springfield Milers". Other clubs listed on the BMWMOA website. Here's the website to Springfield Milers; http://www.springfieldmilers.com/ I'm not a member but just passing on the information in case your are interested.
gorm5 likes this.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

post #12 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2Ski View Post
There is a club in Springfield, IL. "Springfield Milers". Other clubs listed on the BMWMOA website. Here's the website to Springfield Milers; http://www.springfieldmilers.com/ I'm not a member but just passing on the information in case your are interested.
Well lo and behold. I did not know this club even existed. Thanks for the information!
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post

Do you like M&Ms?
Quote:
u can use auto fuel injection clamps they are a pittance of what BMW want, use on all cars to clamp to the injectors- bulk 10 packs $10.00 - u never should have told the guy at O'Reily's it was for a bike
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:24 am

Quote:
No clubs that I am aware of. Would love to go riding sometime, as soon as I get her back together. The rest of my parts come in this week, I just got a new torque wrench to finish off the new brake lines and as soon as I put the performance chip in I can put the tank on get to serious work.

There are some great back roads to ride on between here and Champaign, especially some of the older two lane highways. I will let you know as soon as I am up and running.
Sounds great. I will be taking the LT to Canada July 21-24. Other than that, I'm game.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in