• 2 Post By FrankNitti
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Tire Problem

Of all the things to happen on a holiday weekend....I was riding in the mountains of New Hampshire(Littleton) and stopped at one of the scenic views stops and was putting the LT in the pic when I noticed a bulge in my rear tire. So I basically freak out and baby it back to my hotel. Got out my Anonymous book and looked up dealers...well there ain't any close by.
My options appear to be very limited

call a wrecker and haul it to Merrimack NH(closest dealer 120miles)
baby it to the dealer
would a honda/harley be able to change the tire?

Thanks Guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1352.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	111929  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Re: Tire Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post
Of all the things to happen on a holiday weekend....I was riding in the mountains of New Hampshire(Littleton) and stopped at one of the scenic views stops and was putting the LT in the pic when I noticed a bulge in my rear tire. So I basically freak out and baby it back to my hotel. Got out my Anonymous book and looked up dealers...well there ain't any close by.

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
Limp over to the deep south of Vermont?
I've a set of Metz's you can have for cost and I'll help you mount.
Sending a PM....

Addendum: just realized that MaxBMW NH is closer to you; but the offer still stands.
ibbones and saddleman like this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 4th, 2016 at 1:00 pm.
post #3 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Quote:

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys

A Honda or Harley dealer might be able to change the tire IF they had one rated for the LT but because of the rear wheel construction, they may not be able to balance it without some type of adapter.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
A Honda or Harley dealer might be able to change the tire IF they had one rated for the LT but because of the rear wheel construction, they may not be able to balance it without some type of adapter.
Wheel can be balanced using standard cones on a static balancer.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #5 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Quote:

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
They should be able to change the tire if they have one in the right size and load rating. I think that there are some Harleys that use the 79V load rating.

Robert
tvguy likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #6 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Wheel can be balanced using standard cones on a static balancer.

Robert
I know the front can but why do I read threads about people having to buy or make an adapter for balancing the rear? Beech makes and sells them.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Quote:
I know the front can but why do I read threads about people having to buy or make an adapter for balancing the rear? Beech makes and sells them.
I use the cones on mine with a Harbor Freight balancer. Takes time but works fine.

Robert
Flynn likes this.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Quote:
I use the cones on mine with a Harbor Freight balancer. Takes time but works fine.

Robert
I have been thinking of getting the HF balancer but had not yet because i don't have " the adapter" I hear people mention. If it needs nothing else, I may just go ahead and get it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 4:32 pm

If you buy one please do a write up here. I have heard some folks were not happy with them. It does not have to be wheel/spoke truing accurate to balance a wheel. If you have large enough cones I can see where they would work but I like my five bolt 120mm bolt circle balance adapter.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
If you buy one please do a write up here. I have heard some folks were not happy with them. It does not have to be wheel/spoke truing accurate to balance a wheel. If you have large enough cones I can see where they would work but I like my five bolt 120mm bolt circle balance adapter.
Beech, will your adapter handle the three hole R80GS rear also? If so I want one.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Now wheel balancers:

I have the Marc Parnes balancer with adaptors for the KLT and my Airhead.
Works well.

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer
post #12 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Careful at the Harley dealer. One of the Harley's uses the same size rear tire which they will have in stock. It is not rated for the LT. No matter what they try to convince you of if it fits any Harley, it's not rated for the LT.
post #13 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 8:14 pm

I've tried using my HF cones for the back wheel and it doesn't work, but does fine on the front.
beech likes this.

05 Dark Graphite LT
post #14 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Garage

Quote:

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
Call some shops ahead of time and see if they have one (correctly rated). If they can't balance it see if they carry dynabeads or some other internal balancer. While it's not good to ride on it if you take it easy you should be able to get there.
post #15 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:25 am

Quote:
I have been thinking of getting the HF balancer but had not yet because i don't have " the adapter" I hear people mention. If it needs nothing else, I may just go ahead and get it.
I just went out to the shop and rechecked the rear with the HF cones, fit fine. All they have to do is hold the wheel centered on the shaft, not a big or precise job. I also have a half dozen of other cones of various sizes for my various bikes. Hope this helps.

Robert
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #16 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Appreciate all the replies but made it to Max BMW.....already being worked on
ibbones and johnbaker15 like this.
post #17 of 32 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 8:19 am

Glad you went to max. I have found them much cheaper for tires and most other service than the Other NH dealer.
Rick
post #18 of 32 Old Jul 6th, 2016, 9:20 am

Garage

Quote:
Appreciate all the replies but made it to Max BMW.....already being worked on
Glad to see you got there without further problem. Hopefully they swap it out under defect warranty.
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Quote:
I just went out to the shop and rechecked the rear with the HF cones, fit fine. All they have to do is hold the wheel centered on the shaft, not a big or precise job. I also have a half dozen of other cones of various sizes for my various bikes. Hope this helps.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I ordered an Ebay spare rear wheel and have a BT-20 in transit so I can get one ready when it is time. I didn't go with the HF balancer but one that had reasonable reviews on Amazon. Hoping it is just a little higher quality than HF but you never can tell by a picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looked well made with decent reviews and the cones looked like they would fit the rear of the LT without any adapter ( Calibrated eyeball). It rolls very freely, bubble leveler and easily found what would be expected as the heavy spot on the rim.

Sorry Beach, I won't be needing one of your adapters after all.

Only thing it didn't come with was the 3mm Allen to lock the cones. 1 point off for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02047.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	113618  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2016, 1:35 pm

That balance machine looks great, superior to HF by a long shot. I use to make these things but I can't beat the current crop prices. On the photo above the flange is a tiny bit under 50mm. The BMW adapter is a cup that goes over it and has a 15mm hole in it for the cone shaft and to be captured by the cones. If you have a lathe, take a disk of aluminum bore out a 50mm hole about 3/4" deep and then drill a 15mm hole through the whole thing. You now have an adapter.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Beech

post #21 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 12:35 am

A kaw/ Suzuki deal in Romney WV replaced/changed my tire when it was showing cords in a middle of a trip. No they couldn't balance it. But used dynabeads. I rode that tire home and then some with no issues. I really think the dynabeads help the tire last longer as it's constantly rebalancing itself. I was thinking of using them next time.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you believe they work. I don't and I have seen no data that convinces my engineering mind otherwise. I stick with a well balanced wheel. I prefer dynamic balancing, but with modern precisely machined alloy wheels and precisely molded tires, static balancing seems plenty effective at normal highway speeds. And I can do that myself at low cost.

If I routinely ran above 100 MPH, then I probably would want dynamic balancing.
sailor likes this.

Last edited by Voyager; Aug 7th, 2016 at 11:28 am.
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If you believe they work. I don't and I have seen no data that convinces my engineering mind otherwise. I stick with a well balanced wheel. I prefer dynamic balancing, but with modern precisely machined alloy wheels and precisely molded tires, static balancing seems plenty effective at normal highway speeds. And I can do that myself at low cost.

If I routinely ran above 100 MPH, then I probably would want dynamic balancing.
I also don't believe they work well in all situations so I won't be putting those in my tires. A search on youtube and you readily find possible issues. In my mind, there is no substitute for a well balanced tire.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #24 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 6:41 pm

That video is a thousand words. At the Billings rally last year Michelin engineers gave a tire seminar. Dyna beads (when they don't brake up or stick to the inside of the tire) work for the first harmonic in balance, none of the others. Also, voids any tire warranty.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Beech

post #25 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 9:17 pm

That video is what I see often...
Also, I see them all gobbed together in one solid mass.

I would think they could work in a perfect environment. Maybe nitrogen filled tires.

If you are checking your tires pressure regularly, anytime you add air you are risking adding air with a moisture content.
Example would be you are low on air and stop at a C-store. Add 10psi from their pump.
How do you know that they regularly drain the water from the tank?
How do you know you didn't just pump and ounce of moisture into the tire.
Once the beads get moist they stick together.

Wheel weights are the best method.
Patric likes this.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #26 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Plus... How the tire is mounted can & does effect moisture in the tire. If soppy water, or other lubes get inside the tire when it is being mounted.It could make a mess with the use of tire beads...

Quote:
I would think they could work in a perfect environment. Maybe nitrogen filled tires.

If you are checking your tires pressure regularly, anytime you add air you are risking adding air with a moisture content.
Example would be you are low on air and stop at a C-store. Add 10psi from their pump.
How do you know that they regularly drain the water from the tank?
How do you know you didn't just pump and ounce of moisture into the tire.
Once the beads get moist they stick together.

Wheel weights are the best method.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #27 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2016, 9:33 am

Does anybody have an opinion of Ride-on sealant and balancer?
Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #28 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2016, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On
Your tire change people will hate you. Messy stuff. Conventional balance weights and plugs for repair are still superior.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #29 of 32 Old Aug 17th, 2016, 8:25 am

I have Ride-on in all my motorcycle tires. They stay balanced and seam to last longer. My tire changer (dealer) never complains about it being messy, if fact all the riders there use it themselves. And these guys really ride a lot.
post #30 of 32 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
I have used both the beads and Ride-On... long story short, I use Ride-On in all my tires. Yes it is messy when you go to change tires but it isnt that bad... I do my own so im ready for it. if you take them somewhere, have the courtesy to let the guy know so hes not surprised. The dyna beads just didn't work for nothing.

I have actually used plastic airsoft BBs (experimenting as I like to do) like dyna beads and that actually does work quite well, is not damaging to everything, but it makes a hell of a racket at low speeds and must be installed when mounting the tire. Ride-On is still better IMO and its a sealant as well so bonus.

- Justin

Justin - Las Vegas, NV
"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to have to explain to the paramedics"

2002 Honda RC51 "Tia"
1999 BMW K1200LT "Elsa"
2006 Kawasaki EX250 Scrambler "Vyrus"
1983 Honda V45 Magna "Mini-Maggie"
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 26th, 2016, 4:49 pm

I went ahead and put the Ride on in the tires. Going up through NY state and over to the coast of Maine. The less problems I have to worry about the better. Already in Ny and can't say I can tell any difference as far as smoother or quieter but so far so good.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #32 of 32 Old Aug 27th, 2016, 6:43 pm

I still have that Dunlop D401 and keep it as a emergency spare. It isn't weight rated. But it got me home and then some. Wish they made it reinforced. That is a good all around tire that wears like steel.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 27th, 2016 at 11:33 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in