How full is full?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 8:51 am Thread Starter

How full is full??

On my new '06 LT I have been fueling her on the center stand but have been cautious as I have seen here to be careful not to over fill re flooding a cannister of some kind. So I have been filling until the gas is at the bottom of the throat deal in the tank where the gas pump nozzle goes in. But then the fuel gauge says about 4/5 full.

How full is full???

Would like to get some good mpgs to adjust the computer...

Thanks!

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
On my new '06 LT I have been fueling her on the center stand but have been cautious as I have seen here to be careful not to over fill re flooding a cannister of some kind. So I have been filling until the gas is at the bottom of the throat deal in the tank where the gas pump nozzle goes in. But then the fuel gauge says about 4/5 full.

How full is full???

Would like to get some good mpgs to adjust the computer...

Thanks!

Gene
Howdy, Gene -

I do what you do as far as filling to the bottom of the throat area; however, I *always* fill while Toad is on the sidestand. Not sure how much more the tank holds by using this method over the centerstand method, butt my dash gauge alwayz reads full when I'm capped up and have reset the OBC.
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick. I will try that on the next tank.

The gas gauge and BC are neat but the pessimist in me still relies on the trip meter. It is an ingrained part of the gas stop ritual. Fill the tank-Zero the trip meter...

Gene

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:53 am

fill' er up

I tried side- and centerstand numerous times and found I can fill the most when on the sidestand. The best I can do is get the right edge of needle to reach the left edge of the mark. Drives me nuts but I'd rather have that then cause a problem with overfilling.
Interesting conversation here, among others:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14768

Regardless, you can still do the calculations while at the pump. Just divide miles (from tripometer) by the amount you refill. Even though it's not full, you still get miles per gallon consumed. That's how I adjusted my BC; now, it's nearly spot on.
Just in case you don't have it:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...lt_faq_bcreset

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Ultimate Riding Machine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:11 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
Thanks Dick. I will try that on the next tank.

The gas gauge and BC are neat but the pessimist in me still relies on the trip meter. It is an ingrained part of the gas stop ritual. Fill the tank-Zero the trip meter...

Gene
Know what you mean Gene. Been doing it that way for over forty years, why change now? Plus it gives you a redundant gas gauge once you get to know the habits of the beast! As far as topping her off goes, side stand is the only way! On the center stand it just can't fill in the upper space due to the placement of the filler neck.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:42 am

As far as I can remmember, the manual says that we need to fill it on the sidestand.
I've been doing it but the max I got the needle to be was one needle bellow the full line.
If you fill with the bike on a up hill position you got more gas, but also a higher chance to flood the caniester.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Side Stand

Fill her on the side stand until full to the filler hole in the neck... Then give her a little shake and put a little more in.. You just want to avoid getting fuel down the vent line to the canister.....Or do a canisterectomy and don't worry about it any more....

Good Luck,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Like others said, you'll get a bit more in on the side stand.

My concern is more like how empty is empty? I tend to run mine down pretty far every time I ride, so I always fill as much as possible. I'll often put in over 6 gallons at a fuel stop. I've removed the canister so that isn't a concern. Sometimes gas expands as it heats up, but that just means I need to get back on and ride to create some air space in the tank.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. There is a lot to learn about this beast. rjhammetter appreciate the link to the directions for recalibrating the mpg. I knew I had seen it but could not remember how I found it. Printed it this time..
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:17 pm

How Full is Full

Just to put things into perspecitive: Most Harleys have a gas gauge with two settings: Full or Empty. I always use the trip meter to guage when I will actually need gas. Use the gauge and you can find yourself out of gas on the side of the road. Happened once, lesson learned.

UltraLT

Riding is Life, all else is just waiting.
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
...I tend to run mine down pretty far every time I ride...
I rode with some guys this weekend that did that also. It scared me to get below 1/4. All of the years that I have been driving and riding, I have never been below 1/4 until this weekend. I would rather not add that stress to my life and just fill up around 1/4 and not have to worry about how far I can go on the fumes that I have left. The same goes with calculating MPG. Maybe I'm too stupid to do the math.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
I rode with some guys this weekend that did that also. It scared me to get below 1/4. All of the years that I have been driving and riding, I have never been below 1/4 until this weekend. I would rather not add that stress to my life and just fill up around 1/4 and not have to worry about how far I can go on the fumes that I have left. The same goes with calculating MPG. Maybe I'm too stupid to do the math.
I agree with not really wanting to push it to the limit unless I have no choice. Now Ken can speak with the voice of authority about how far till she runs out, can't you Ken? A little remote part of Eastern Oregon, high speeds and possibly some wind thrown in for good measure can certainly ruin one's day.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, I've come close a few times, but only ever ran out once. I could see the town, just couldn't quite reach it. Believe me, the GT will have an aux fuel tank fitted pretty quickly. Then I can get a whole lot further before running out.

But we can stop earlier on the way to Ft Bragg if it makes everyone more comfortable. I'll be sure to wait up for y'all at the next gas station.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:59 pm

LOL lets talk about a Harley. My Electra Glide reads full with the needle against the peg until 70 miles pass then plummets like a home sick brick until it rests on the other peg and remains for the next 120 miles.

Like most of you I fill my LT on the side stand, but after reading all this I filled it as usual then put it up on the center stand. No big change, the fuel appeared to be a bit lower in the tank, but not significantly.

My LT seems to be very accurate and when the low fuel light comes on it will take 5 gals + a bit. The max I have ridden was 315 miles and I sure was looking for the next gas station. The needle had gone all the way to the bottom and was resting on the peg that prevents it from going any lower. I believe it took 6.2 or 6.3 gallons and the fuel pump was making lots of noise.

Like someone else said, I have enough stress in my life and prefer not to add more, so when the light comes on or I see 275 I begin looking for fuel.

Jim in GA

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yep, I've come close a few times, but only ever ran out once. I could see the town, just couldn't quite reach it. Believe me, the GT will have an aux fuel tank fitted pretty quickly. Then I can get a whole lot further before running out.

But we can stop earlier on the way to Ft Bragg if it makes everyone more comfortable. I'll be sure to wait up for y'all at the next gas station.
In reference to the Fort Bragg ride: Tk U Ken!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Smile I use the pee gauge as a backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Know what you mean Gene. Been doing it that way for over forty years, why change now? Plus it gives you a redundant gas gauge once you get to know the habits of the beast! As far as topping her off goes, side stand is the only way! On the center stand it just can't fill in the upper space due to the placement of the filler neck.

John
... to the primary gauge - the trip odometer; the fuel gauge is a sanity check. It must must be an age thing.
The problem with the pee gauge is that the time between stops keeps getting shorter.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Wink

To reply to meese's question, how empty is empty. When the digital display goes to four dashes (no longer registers a milage number) it's time to stop. you've got <8 miles left. The analog display varies bike to bike more than the digital does. Done this lotsa times (livin on the edge)
Mac
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The miles-to-go display on the BC goes to --- with 10 miles remaining. I've pushed it to almost 25 miles a couple of times, but I don't recommend it.

My low fuel light comes on at almost exactly one gallon remaining, unless it's recently been parked on the side stand.

FWIW, I usually fill up around 240 miles (overall average of 40 mpg). Maybe 260 if I'm feeling lucky. I've only gotten over 300 miles on a tank once. That was at CCR Jackson Lake, where we did a lot of 45 mph riding through the parks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in