Oily pushrod? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By dshealey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
Oily pushrod?

Hello all, new to the group, been in the shadows for a few years..

I purchased an '02 1200lt (107K) last year knowing the rear seal was bad. I drove her out Cali putting on a few thousand miles and had a blast around the curves of Kings Canyon. The clutch was like an old rubber band, wind it up enough it'll get you going. Well I've got this month off and time to take her apart. I'm kinda of a half-assed full-assed person so I've pulled the engine and tranny out of the bike together. The breather tube is shot and the top of the engine looks like the San Andreas tar pits so figured I'd clean that nicely. And it's only like 2 more screws so why the hell not.

To my issue the clutch slave cylinder was "full" of gear oil, and the push-rod is covered end to end in it. Is there just the one seal at the rear of the tranny for this? What seals the front? I've looked at pictures a bunch and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a spec for that seal depth in case the current one is wrong? My Clymer manual doesn't show up till midweek

Cheers
Gary

'98 R1100RT current
'02 K1200LT in progress
'02 K1200LT donated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:49 am

Re: Oily pushrod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
Hello all, new to the group, been in the shadows for a few years..

I purchased an '02 1200lt (107K) last year knowing the rear seal was bad. I drove her out Cali putting on a few thousand miles and had a blast around the curves of Kings Canyon. The clutch was like an old rubber band, wind it up enough it'll get you going. Well I've got this month off and time to take her apart. I'm kinda of a half-assed full-assed person so I've pulled the engine and tranny out of the bike together. The breather tube is shot and the top of the engine looks like the San Andreas tar pits so figured I'd clean that nicely. And it's only like 2 more screws so why the hell not.

To my issue the clutch slave cylinder was "full" of gear oil, and the push-rod is covered end to end in it. Is there just the one seal at the rear of the tranny for this? What seals the front? I've looked at pictures a bunch and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a spec for that seal depth in case the current one is wrong? My Clymer manual doesn't show up till midweek

Cheers
Gary

'98 R1100RT current
'02 K1200LT in progress
'02 K1200LT donated

Welcome Gary and yes, that is the only seal for the slave area so if you have gear oil on the push-rod, the seal in the slave cavity is most certainly bad.

In the tools>> technical>>files area on this forum, there is a document called LT Special Tools and that has the specifications for all the special tools you would need to do the clutch and seals. There are a couple on this site that loan out these tools for the cost of postage so if you are not able to manufacture the tools, you might be able to borrow a set or use the diagrams to measure however, two of the seals are critical in set depth or they will surely leak. The slave seal is one and the output shaft is the other. There are 3 other seals to be concerned about, the main engine seal and the input shaft seal plus there is an O-ring behind the clutch housing nut that causes many people grief due to its poor composition.

Let us know if we can be of assistance in your effort.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:05 am

I think you'll discover that the gear oil is coming through the transmission seal and not the clutch slave seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:05 pm

Just to be clear on where your oil is coming from and the seals involved, I am posting a couple pictures so there is no confusion. The seal where the slave screws in is the culprit and the first picture. The shaft that contains the push-rod then extends through the transmission and out the front of the transmission and there is a seal there ( input shaft seal ) however, any oil leaking there would go into the clutch housing and not travel back up the push-rod to the clutch. The push-rod extends out the hole in the second picture into the diaphragm spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaky slave seal.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	111873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Shaft Seal.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	111881  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 5:53 pm

Some people drill a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the cast for the slave cylinder and one under the clutch for oil from the Oring or rear main seal. If you ever blow out a slave cylinder you can find it before it pumps fluid down the shaft.
Patric and tvguy like this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Be sure to replace the seal AND the slave cylinder! The tiny bearing in the slave piston will fail with the slightest provocation, or seemingly for no reason at all. Once that bearing gets tight, the piston spins in the cylinder, immediate fail and brake fluid in the clutch.
Patric likes this.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in