If it looks like a leak... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy If it looks like a leak...

It is a very small leak, but a leak nonetheless! Just at the front part of the swing arm, at the bellow.
Not sure if it is oil or clutch fluid, and both show normal levels.
It is just a drop here and there when the bike is parked for 24 hours or so...
The bike is an '03 with 37K miles, but by the time I can bring it in the mileage will be more like 38.5 K.
Question: The warranty is 3 years/36K miles.
Based on this forum experience, will the dealer/BMW honor the warranty now that I have more then 36 K miles, although the 3 year period ends in December?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Dunno.. it's so close, seems they might ...for customer sat...and for possible future MC purchase...

Wishing you and the dealer the best....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Don't know about the bike. I had a truck with the 3/36 warranty. Carried it in for a leaking rear window. I had the truck a little over 2 years but had 36100 on the clock. They said sorry its 3/36 which ever comes first. Luck with your dealer.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:19 am

Smile Trans output shaft seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
It is a very small leak, but a leak nonetheless! Just at the front part of the swing arm, at the bellow.
The bike is an '03 with 37K miles, but by the time I can bring it in the mileage will be more like 38.5 K.
Based on this forum experience, will the dealer/BMW honor the warranty now that I have more then 36 K miles, although the 3 year period ends in December?
Gilles call the shop tell him about the problem and miles on the bike. Remember your speedo is off by at least 5% so for every 10000 miles that is equal to 500 miles. sounds like you can subtract about 1750 miles from the odometer and be covered.
The leak sounds like it is the trans output shaft seal.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:28 am

I thought the speedometers were off but that the odometers actually were pretty accurate.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:29 am

I think this one will depend on the relationship you have with your dealer. Since you're are over the 36K mile limit, I wouldn't count on him doing it under warranty.

As for the oil leak at the boot, it is probably not clutch fluid. More likely it is either the pinion seal on the final drive or the output shaft seal on the transmission. DAMHIK

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:31 am

Quote:
It could be the rear shock oil, too. My 2001 LT did that. If the service manager is on your side they will take care of it, I bet.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
It could be the rear shock oil, too. My 2001 LT did that. If the service manager is on your side they will take care of it, I bet.
I agree, it is either shock fluid or the rear output shaft seal of the tranny. It cannot be clutch fluid, nor final drive pinion seal fluid. Final drive fluid cannot get up that high (Assuming you are speaking of the bellows at the front of the swing arm, and not the bellows at the front of the final drive unit). If it is the bellows at the front of the final drive, then it is likely the pinion seal.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I checked for leaks on the shock and couldn't find any. That would have been an excuse to get new Wilbers or Ohlins , but alas I need to look elsewhere for the leak.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #10 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I agree, it is either shock fluid or the rear output shaft seal of the tranny. It cannot be clutch fluid, nor final drive pinion seal fluid. Final drive fluid cannot get up that high (Assuming you are speaking of the bellows at the front of the swing arm, and not the bellows at the front of the final drive unit). If it is the bellows at the front of the final drive, then it is likely the pinion seal.
Dave, I am afraid the leak is with the rear output shat seal as it drips -very little still! - at the bellows at the front of the swing arm.
If the warranty does not cover, what am I looking at in term of labor? I am trying to ascertain if this is something I can attempt to do myself. The parts are probably just a few bucks (seal, and what else?).
That would also be a good time to replace the slave cylinder and drill the housing.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:34 am

Garage
Quote:
Dave, I am afraid the leak is with the rear output shat seal as it drips -very little still! - at the bellows at the front of the swing arm.
If the warranty does not cover, what am I looking at in term of labor? I am trying to ascertain if this is something I can attempt to do myself. The parts are probably just a few bucks (seal, and what else?).
That would also be a good time to replace the slave cylinder and drill the housing.
What they said about the output shaft seal. Confirmation would be to undo the bellows at the final drive and see if you have oil there. It normally runs down the inside of the swingarm.
Not too hard a job as long as you have the right tools and the swing arm bolts come out easy enough.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Gilles, Mine's in the shop now for a rear main transmission seal. I should know the cost by the end of the day today.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #13 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I thought the speedometers were off but that the odometers actually were pretty accurate.
The odometer on my '02 is about 3.3% high. That was measured over a straight 100-mile stretch using Interstate mileage markers.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I'd adjust my schedule to get the bike to the dealer now, with 37K rather than later with 38.5 K. And go in person, don't call them on the phone to let them know you have a problem. It's a lot harder to tell you "no" in person. They (BMW) just may "good faith" cover it under warranty. Maybe you could even bargain with the dealer. You could maybe suggest to them you'll pay for some needed routine service while they have the bike if BMW covers this repair. That way, they may go to bat for you with BMW. Just a thought.

Just be glad its not a Dodge truck. I had one with a 3yr/36K mile warranty, and the engine went (cam gear) while driving 20MPH locally. Truck only had 17,000 on it but was 37 months old. Guess what? The Dodge rep denied me warranty coverage. He even denied my request to meet with him in person, the sunovabitch. The dealer couldn't even believe it. I had to go another looong route to get it fixed, not thru Dodge, but I can't go into details.
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Angry Razzle Fratz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Gilles, Mine's in the shop now for a rear main transmission seal. I should know the cost by the end of the day today.
Just got off the phone with the service shop and we won't be finding out what it costs to replace the rear seal on the transmission. They have one of the swing arm bolts seized in the aluminum housing. They've already tried heat and broken a socket trying to get it out. I think I over filled the tranmission on the last oil change, which caused my problem. I guess I'll need to ride out to Varoom's place a use his breaker bar.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Quote:
.... I think I over filled the tranmission on the last oil change, which caused my problem.
I doubt that, Bud. Red Rover wuz on the centerstand, right? Unless you had Red Rover laying on it's left side, or resting on the sidestand, it's pretty hard to overfill the tranny. Book sez full is when the stuff is to the bottom edge of the fill opening hole, or .63 quart - more'n that and you git the garage floor all messy!! So, you prolly didn't overfill it. JMHO tho.

And maybe we need to start shipping Kuethe's breaker bar around the country on an 'as-needed' basis!!!

Good luck with Red Rover, Steve.
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:44 pm

My bike had rear output shaft seal of the tranny leaking at 24K miles and I again at 42K.
My guess is that this would be the same with yours.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #18 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
Just got off the phone with the service shop and we won't be finding out what it costs to replace the rear seal on the transmission. They have one of the swing arm bolts seized in the aluminum housing. They've already tried heat and broken a socket trying to get it out. I think I over filled the tranmission on the last oil change, which caused my problem. I guess I'll need to ride out to Varoom's place a use his breaker bar.
I resemble that problem .
I thought the dealers would have the special tool that the service manual calls for. Suspect it is just a hefty socket that fits right over the pivot bolt and the 14mm hex head.
I am sure Varoom will like to try out his new tools when he gets them. Probably still need to call in the Austin muscle.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Quote:
It is only a little more work than replacing the slave cylinder, as the only other work is removal of the old seal and driving in a new one. You would have to have something to get the old seal out, and a sleeve of some kind (a deep socket that is the right diameter works) to drive in the new one. If you can do the work to do the slave cylinder, then the seal work is relatively easy to add on.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in