K1200 LT - Servo Brakes vs iABS II - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 29th, 2016, 11:28 am Thread Starter

K1200 LT - Servo Brakes vs iABS II

Folks

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but I have searched here and online without finding the answer.

Did the K1200LT receive the refresh from the wretched servo assist ABS unit to the later Teves iABS II unit in mid-2007, as happened with the R series and cross-frame K12's.

I am considering a late 2007 LT, but I have owned a 2005 R1200RT which had the servo ABS failure, and don't want to go there again.

It's easy enough to servo-ectomy the RT, but the bulk of the LT and the ridiculous shoe-horn location of the servo unit make this a show-stopper for me.

Many thanks

Chopps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 29th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: K1200 LT - Servo Brakes vs iABS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper_harris View Post
Folks

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but I have searched here and online without finding the answer.

Did the K1200LT receive the refresh from the wretched servo assist ABS unit to the later Teves iABS II unit in mid-2007, as happened with the R series and cross-frame K12's.

I am considering a late 2007 LT, but I have owned a 2005 R1200RT which had the servo ABS failure, and don't want to go there again.

It's easy enough to servo-ectomy the RT, but the bulk of the LT and the ridiculous shoe-horn location of the servo unit make this a show-stopper for me.

Many thanks

Chopps
The K1200LT is only BMW that kept the 1st generation IABS with servos until end-of-production in 2009. Only minor change was in 2005-2009 where the ABS modulator was installed horizontally in frame with fluid reservoir on top (a bit like many R1150 boxer had). But basically all K1200T with IABS (mid 2001 to 2009) have the same basic FTE unit with servos (including minor design diff noted above).

As you posted above , most other BMW models got the new TEVES ABS modulator starting in 2007 (no servos). It is important to note that these newer TEVES ABS units also had their share of problems (electrical motor brushes) but at least, they can be repaired / overhauled for an acceptable price.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jun 29th, 2016 at 4:38 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 30th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Re: K1200 LT - Servo Brakes vs iABS II

I was once so anti-servo that the only Oilheads I bought were a non-ABS R1100R and a pre-Servo R1150GS. BUT, I wanted a LT and got an '09 with servos. As long as they work I'm not complaining, yet.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in