Anyone have a Ducati Designs headlight? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Anyone have a Ducati Designs headlight?

I've been interested in the Ducati Designs headlight assembly since it was introduced. However, I'm concerned that the Hella halogen bulbs won't put out enough light. DD has told me that there is no reason a H9 HID kit couldn't be put in, but they don't feel it would be necessary. So, my question to anyone who has the unit is, are the halogen bulbs good enough, or do you still use aux lights?

TIA

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I like my Ducati Designs headlight. It does put out significantly more light over stock although not as much as the HIDs. I had PIAAs installed before and so I still use them but mostly for visibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
I've been interested in the Ducati Designs headlight assembly since it was introduced. However, I'm concerned that the Hella halogen bulbs won't put out enough light. DD has told me that there is no reason a H9 HID kit couldn't be put in, but they don't feel it would be necessary. So, my question to anyone who has the unit is, are the halogen bulbs good enough, or do you still use aux lights?

TIA

George

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Did you see the review in Bikeworld reference the light?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...light/upgrade/

Rusty Snyder

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:09 pm

This is something I'd be interested in too. I wouldn't change just for the DD design alone although I find it very attractive. But I just might make the jump for a dual low beam DD design, with the dual HID's. If anyone's done this, please speak up! Thanks,d.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't have the DD headlight, but have ridden at night with a friend who has one. Nathan is right: it's much better than stock, but not quite as much light as an HID upgrade. Paul claims about twice as many useful lumens as stock, and about 2/3rds as many as an HID. My qualitative experiences support that.

I did speak with DD about putting two Hella HID modules into his frame. Note these are the full HID headlight/reflector assembly, not just a bulb/ballast upgrade kit. It's perfectly possible, but would end up at almost $1,000 for the setup. Nice if you've got the cash to burn.

When you can get HID high & low upgrade kits for around $230, it just didn't make sense overall. Note that the DD kit uses all DOT-approved components so that it is legal, whereas the upgrade kits are "for off-road use only".

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:24 am

Thumbs up I love my headlights.

I've been riding with these lights since they first came out and love them. They are a great option over stock and are legal. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic. And I really like the unique look that they give my bike.

The quality is outstanding and I've not had any problems what so ever. Ken, Ernie, AlaskaFish (all have HID) and I have traveled some at night and the low beems are probably a bit brighter but I do not have any complaints or feel left out in the dark. The high beam will light up the world. The other night coming home from a ride to eat meeting in Vancouver my wife asked if I had the high beams on because the farm fields were lit up so well. I demo'd the high beams when it was safe and she was impressed.

Bottom line is that I would not trade for HIDs at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy LT with DucatiDesign Eyes.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	7521  
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Jeez Art, you need to wash that thing more often.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Jeez Art, you need to wash that thing more often.
Says the pot to the kettle!!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I've been riding with these lights since they first came out and love them. They are a great option over stock and are legal. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic. And I really like the unique look that they give my bike.

The quality is outstanding and I've not had any problems what so ever. Ken, Ernie, AlaskaFish (all have HID) and I have traveled some at night and the low beems are probably a bit brighter but I do not have any complaints or feel left out in the dark. The high beam will light up the world. The other night coming home from a ride to eat meeting in Vancouver my wife asked if I had the high beams on because the farm fields were lit up so well. I demo'd the high beams when it was safe and she was impressed.

Bottom line is that I would not trade for HIDs at all.
To back up what Art says, I have never considered his lights to be substandard when compared to even the other HID equipped Bikes. I am impressed with the degree of brightness the DD set-up puts out. Much better than the factory light.

Oh yeah Art, you really do need to remove some of those bugs, or we may start mistaking you for Meese!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Oh yeah Art, you really do need to remove some of those bugs, or we may start mistaking you for Meese!John
Yeah, John - I wuz just gonna remark to Ken; somethang about a pot and a kettle!!!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Oh yeah!

That picture was taken after Diamond, Oregon. I titled it "Happy LT with Ducati Design Eyes". Here is another picture that I'm sure is a totally foreign concept to you Ken

We call this one "Cleaning".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	7551  
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Any time you and John feel the need to clean, just let me know and I'll drop by. Otherwise, I'll be out riding.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in