Help - K1200lt Tyre Pressures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Help - K1200lt Tyre Pressures

Please can anybody help me achieve the best handling from my 2001 BMW K1200LT.

I have just purchased two new Bridgestone 020 biased ply tyres for my bike and installed Ultraseal.

The tyre pressures in the handbook are stated at 36psi front and 42psi rear.

I have now read so many different recommendations for the tyre pressures that I am now not sure which is the best pressure to run with .

My local UK BMW dealer states the same pressures as the BMW handbook.

Bridgestone UK state 42psi in both front and rear.

I ride all types of UK roads at moderate speeds. I weigh around 250lbs and sometimes carry a passenger who weighs approximately 140lbs.

I would like to know the best pressure to achieve the best handling for the bike.

Alan
ALANPRORIB
Milton Keynes, UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:47 am

42 Front 48 Rear for all tires on the LT. Get ready to throw the front tire in the trash in about 4000 miles. The 020 front is the best handling tire with the shortest life.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:51 am

Question Radials or Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanprorib
Please can anybody help me achieve the best handling from my 2001 BMW K1200LT.

I have just purchased two new Bridgestone 020 biased ply tyres for my bike and installed Ultraseal.
Alan
ALANPRORIB
Milton Keynes, UK.
Are your sure the 020 are not radials instead of Bias? I would suggest the same pressure in either tire.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:06 am

Garage
Hello:

I know opinions here will vary tremendously, but I can only speak from personal experience. Keeping my pressures at 36-38F/42-45R, my original set of Metzelers lasted over 11,000 miles, with tread to spare. Since replacing them a few months ago, I have kept the same pressures. If you carry a passenger, it would make sense to put 45-48 psi at the rear and turn up the shock setting to compensate. Hope this helps.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:12 am

Most of us are running 42/48 front/rear and get the best mileage for the tires we are running.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:28 am

I've been running 42/48 per recommendations form here, but not sure I like the "feel". At this pressure on non-interstate, the Metzes feel like they are picking up every surface variation on the road. I'm thinking that is too much air for non interstate riding. I may have missed this: are the metzes bias or radial? I had radials on my strom and loved them. Patches in curves, cracks, etc, no problem, but seems like these tires are much more sensitive to irregularities.

I'm not averse to changing when these wear out, but I got a while. I'm at 8100 miles on these.

Rando
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:45 am

Alan,

I notice that this is your first post, so let me Welcome you to the Looney Bin.

There is plenty of information here in the threads and and many varying opinions. Let me recommend the terrific FAQ for this site. It will give good basic information about tires and other things. There is a lot of good information in the Hall of Wisdom as well. You can also find both and the site FAQ by hitting the Techinal Pull Down at the top of the web page.

Now by recommending all of the above, don't be afraid to ask questions here. We're all glad to give you our opinions and what we've found to work well. On you question about tire pressure, I run the Bridgestone BT020 radials and run the pressures at 44 psi in the front and 55 psi in the back.

Have a great day and again Welcome.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
I've been running 42/48 per recommendations form here, but not sure I like the "feel". At this pressure on non-interstate, the Metzes feel like they are picking up every surface variation on the road. I'm thinking that is too much air for non interstate riding. I may have missed this: are the metzes bias or radial? I had radials on my strom and loved them. Patches in curves, cracks, etc, no problem, but seems like these tires are much more sensitive to irregularities.
Rando
Rando,
I was running the Stones radials on my bike(last 2 sets) and recently changed to the Metz. I run 42/48 as I did on the Stones and the bike feels less stable than it did on the stones. I thought it might be something else and even posted a question last month about it. Of course stupid me has not reduced the pressure yet to see if that makes a difference but I would be curious to know if any of the other guys have gone from Stones to Metz's and noticed a difference. I seem to notice it most at 60-80 mph.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
Rando,
I was running the Stones radials on my bike(last 2 sets) and recently changed to the Metz. I run 42/48 as I did on the Stones and the bike feels less stable than it did on the stones. I thought it might be something else and even posted a question last month about it. Of course stupid me has not reduced the pressure yet to see if that makes a difference but I would be curious to know if any of the other guys have gone from Stones to Metz's and noticed a difference. I seem to notice it most at 60-80 mph.
Don't say "stupid me" - say you're doing extended evaluation. Like, you, I have not reduced mine, but I am giving it time, since I don;t get to ride often enough. I am trying the higher pressures on every surface. Then reduce it and see if it's different. On the super slab, the tires seem to be less noisy with more air and not as many irregularites to deal with. Twisty mountain roads with asphalt and patches, that's different story. Noise isn't an issue so much as feel of tires. And I think I am not impressed with stock shocks and my considerable bulk. I don;t like clanging the skid plate two up.

Rando
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:50 am

Correct you are Rando, I am currently running and extended air pressure evaluation on my new Metz's. I think for my next trip I will reduce the pressure and see what happens. (Damn, I should of stayed with the Stones ).

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:13 am

What pressure

Alan

I have Bridgestones on my bike and run them at 42 front 48 rear. For a spell I ran them at a lower pressure but it felt horrible - in fact I can normally detect when the pressures have dropped slightly. Pump the pressures up and run the same route lowering the pressure a little each time - one will feel right

If you up your anticipation levels and try to avoid heavy use of the front brake you will get reasonable mileage from them.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:16 am

Bridgestone 020 pressure recommendation

This is from HolyCow; he posted this in response to my question about tire Bridgestone pressures:
Just some additional thoughts. I don't know who all went to the CCR and attended the Tire Talk presented by Bridgestone.

Here are the comments.

1) They recommend running any tire (not only theirs) at the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall minus 2 psi. They said that the engineering that goes into the tire and subsequent testing is based on that maximum rating.

2) Bridgestone is updating their literature so that the K1200LT (regardless of year) should be fitted with a bias-ply. Bridgestone no longer recommends Radials for any year of LT.

3) They want to see you failed tires. It sounded to me, if you send the tire back for a warranty claim, even if it is your fault (under inflation, improper mounting, damage, etc) they more often than not, they comp you a new tire. The tires must be returned through your dealer. If you bought the tire on the Internet (SWMoto, etc) then that is your dealer and you must work with them. I would call Bridgestone yourself and find out about a warranty claim.

4) He said that cupping is common in most motorcycle tires and is started by under inflation. Once the cupping starts, it cannot be reversed. He said the way to prevent cupping is to run at the maximum pressure.

I've decided to try this with my radial 020 tires, and I may stick with radials because I like the feel for the kind of riding I do.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Have just put about 4000 on a set of bias 020's and have kept the pressure at least 42/48. As I weigh close to 280 dressed to ride I actually run 43/49 and occasionally higher with passenger. The front tire has shown only a very slight indication of cupping and have not noticed any bad handling issues. Make sure your gauge is accurate and check them cold. My last set was radial 020's and I was running the books 36/42. The front tire looked like someone had tortured the tread after about six thousand. Kind of had a wrinkled/checked look to it.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in