Oll Filter "O" Ring - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Oll Filter "O" Ring

Does anyone have a cross reference list for the 88mm x 3mm "O" Ring on the oil filter plate? The closest BMW dealer isn't close at all and if I go into a UJM dealer or auto parts store and ask for one by size I usually just get a lost/confused look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 11:21 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Oll Filter "O" Ring

I've never had replace mine on either of my LT's. 193,000 miles on my 2004 & 120,000 miles on my 2000.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Does anyone have a cross reference list for the 88mm x 3mm "O" Ring on the oil filter plate? The closest BMW dealer isn't close at all and if I go into a UJM dealer or auto parts store and ask for one by size I usually just get a lost/confused look.
If you feel the need to periodically replace that o-ring, Max BMW will ship it to your door but as stated, it is not necessary to swap it out on every change. Just don't over-tighten those bolts thinking you are making the seal tighter.
Patric and beech like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

I don't always change it either. But I just changed the oil and it's got a drip. If I'm going to pull the plate back off it doesn't make sense NOT to replace the "O" ring. I'll try loosening and re-torquing the plate first. I'd rather not have to drain the clean oil.

Yeah, I know there are lots of sources where I could get them by mail, but it also doesn't make sense to pay near as much for shipping as the part costs if I can just drive a mile and walk into a store.
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Quote:
I don't always change it either. But I just changed the oil and it's got a drip. If I'm going to pull the plate back off it doesn't make sense NOT to replace the "O" ring. I'll try loosening and re-torquing the plate first. I'd rather not have to drain the clean oil.

Yeah, I know there are lots of sources where I could get them by mail, but it also doesn't make sense to pay near as much for shipping as the part costs if I can just drive a mile and walk into a store.
If you have a drip then I see your dilemma. No shops south of town? I guess I am lucky having both the Northside shops fairly close. Marietta would be closest to you I expect. Not terribly convenient. Good luck with the re-torque.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #6 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Also, I'm riding North (@800mi), leaving Thursday. Kinda like to have this fixed before then. Auto parts stores carry bulk seals but 88mm won't be real common. Much easier with a part number.

I've also got a Triumph, similar vintage as the BMW. Triumph uses many of the same vendors as Kawasaki. Nissan brakes, levers etc. I can cross the oil filter with Honda, Kawa, Fram, STP...
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you have a drip then there is a spot of dirt in there with the o-ring. Torque has nothing to do with sealing that plate. Remove and clean it thoroughly and re-install.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 1:41 am

This brings up the Sunday night syndrome. Drop something and can't find it, don't have the proper obscure part or whatever. Spend $40 dollars and buy some stuff, screws, threaded clips, orings for the filter cover, orings for the final drive plug if you need them that sort of stuff. I don't know if you have ever dropped the little pin clip for the transmission linkage while doing your annual grease job, but they can be hard to find on the garage floor. A little stash of crush rings is cool too. An oil filter or two, air filter (Euromotorelectric has OEM filters cheap) This stuff gives you confidence to go ahead with jobs and no problems. My buddies bust me for having too much stuff for bikes, but they come asking if I have something.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

jzeiler - while I knew you were most likely right and I was in denial, I was hoping I wouldn't have to drain the oil again. But I also know "O" rings get hard and flat with age. This my second oil change since I got the bike. I don't know when the ring was changed last.

So, I did drain the oil. Cleaned the surfaces, put the oil back in - and I've still got a drip. Gotta call then make the drive to the dealer when they open tomorrow
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Quote:
jzeiler - while I knew you were most likely right and I was in denial, I was hoping I wouldn't have to drain the oil again. But I also know "O" rings get hard and flat with age. This my second oil change since I got the bike. I don't know when the ring was changed last.

So, I did drain the oil. Cleaned the surfaces, put the oil back in - and I've still got a drip. Gotta call then make the drive to the dealer when they open tomorrow
Bummer. At $3.12 each, buy 2 if they have then and keep a spare Something I should also have on hand but I don't. I think I did replace it on my first oil change 4 years ago so not all that old.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 7:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I know Dave has never changed his but I always buy the filter "kit" that comes with an o-ring and two useless crush washers (and one useful one). So I have about 10 of those old o-rings hanging on the faucet on my deep sink since I always put the new one on. But in many other applications I have re-used o-rings many times.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in