• 1 Post By gorm5
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By alabrew
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Garage
LT is NOT a beast

Just a random thought. Why do 90% of the people on here consider the K1200lt such a beast, or so heavy, or so hard to handle, or a maintenance nightmare. I went from a Harley, to a RT to an Lt, and i do NOT find the Lt any harder to handle than any other bike. The weight is actually 30 lbs lighter than my Harley FLHT was, and as far as it being top heavy, I don't find it any different than any other highway cruiser. The big difference in my opinion is the quality in workmanship and ride. As for Maintenance, again not a big deal. The Fairing is as easy to remove as the Harley was, with the difference being a few more screws. There is actually more videos and information on the web for maintaining this bike than there ever was on the Harley.
Perhaps it would be a good thing for riders to point out all the Positive aspects of this bike, and minimize the negatives. A new rider will always have problems with any bike they purchase, but i feel that experienced riders will pick up the LT, and immediately fall in love with it. Just my humble opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Re: LT is NOT a beast

Glad you are happy with your LT, I love mine too. I believe all of up on this site feel the same way. I do find my LT to be a beast though, love it nonetheless!
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I don't consider them a beast at all. I have two of them & don't have another vehicle. I ride them every where I go.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 10:05 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Why do 90% of the people on here consider the K1200lt such a beast, or so heavy, or so hard to handle, or a maintenance nightmare.
It is all of those things... BUT, nothing compares when you take off down the road in perfect luxury.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #5 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Hmmm... It's a bit of a beast.
My most reliable bike however!
And the most luxurious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Want positives?? My 2 cents:

Extremely attractive bike, especially 05 and later (yes, I'm biased).
Super FUN to ride! She makes me smile every time I hop on her. Just feels great.
Takes corners extremely well.
I find the stereo to be very nice. At 100 mph I can clearly hear everything.
Ample storage.
Electric center stand (05+) is totally unique and very useful.
Remote locking/unlocking.
Used LTs are VERY cheap, considering the product.
Rare. Not many on the road. I have only seen 2 other LTs on the road my whole life. (Gold Wing, anyone?).
If you ride two up, your SO will be happy, happy, happy. Very comfy.
Very good on gas.
Nimble to be so big with a moderate-sized engine.
The brakes are OUTSTANDING!!!!

To be fair, she is and does feel heavy but that should not hinder anyone from buying an LT. You just have to focus a little at parking lot speeds, which you really should do regardless of the bike you're riding.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 9:36 am

Clearly this is from someone who has not ridden a bike which corners extremely well.
The LT does not lean far enough over... Especially the 2005 and newer.
The electric center stand stops the bike from going over to its full potential.
The 2004 and older get through the twisties much faster and much more lean angle.

Ride a bike and drag your knee. Then let's discuss a touring bikes cornering ability.
I am sure the LT handles better than your Valkyrie.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post

Clearly this is from someone who has not ridden a bike which corners extremely well.
The LT does not lean far enough over... Especially the 2005 and newer.
The electric center stand stops the bike from going over to its full potential.
The 2004 and older get through the twisties much faster and much more lean angle.

Ride a bike and drag your knee. Then let's discuss a touring bikes cornering ability.
I am sure the LT handles better than your Valkyrie.

Yep. Prior experience on other bikes will obviously factor into one's perception. The LT handles way better than my Valkyrie and I have not yet scraped any part of the bike while cornering. I am very impressed with it's capabilities. I believe it if you say you have ridden bikes that handle better, but that doesn't mean it's not a positive selling point for the bike.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway

Last edited by gorm5; Jun 27th, 2016 at 1:27 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 10:47 am

The higher center of gravity causing top-heavyness especially riding two up at slow speed when using care feathering the dry clutch was cause for caution. If she leaned to a certain point at slow speed its going down.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:27 pm

She is heavy and a bit top heavy at that but not the heaviest out there and she can be unruly at very low speeds. If that makes her a beast in the minds of some, so be it. She is smooth on the highways and also can tackle the snakes like a beast once you learn how to ride her. Took me a few times out and some coaching to get it right. She is a pleasure to ride on many types of roads plus she is nice to look at as well.

gorm5 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #11 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 2:26 pm

If you are having an issue with the LT being top heavy, or handling, or the low speed thing, try taking the top case off. BIG difference.
I now only put mine on when going on a long trip and find that I am much happier with the LT.
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
The higher center of gravity causing top-heavyness especially riding two up at slow speed when using care feathering the dry clutch was cause for caution. If she leaned to a certain point at slow speed its going down.
I would agree with this statement but the same holds true for any bike this size and weight.

I would never call the LT a beast. Having just converted from a 2003 Yamaha Royal Star Venture which is about the same weight, the LT is a DREAM to ride. It is a night and day difference between the two. The Venture either felt like it didn't want to turn or was going to fall over regardless of speed. With the LT, look down the road and the bike follows without even thinking. The LT is also so much smoother at highway speeds.

The lap of luxury!
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 7:41 am

The LT is a great bike having logged over 200K on one it was very enjoyable. As many know you can improve the handling immensely with Ohlins and radial tires.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
can tackle the snakes like a beast once you learn how to ride her. Took me a few times out and some coaching to get it right.

Care to elaborate on "once you learn how to ride her" and what coaching you got?
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Care to elaborate on "once you learn how to ride her" and what coaching you got?
Sure, although I have never ridden a Harley, that is how I was riding. Shifting low not running in the high RPM bands. My first trip out was with a great group of people at the Fall Reunion at Iron Horse Lodge.

My skills were mediocre by comparison to theirs and I could not keep up in all places mainly because I was doing it wrong plus they were just that damn good. I was riding in 2nd and 3rd, through the corners 4th on the straits and I was amazed at how I never saw any brake lights from the riders in front of me while I was burning up my rotors. When I asked about how they got such good engine breaking that they never used their brakes, they asked me what gears I was using. When I said 2nd and 3rd maybe 4th, I got a lesson in how first gear is good up to 62mph and you can't hurt it, bounce it off the rev limiter. The engine is just that good. So, I now ride it a little differently and don't worry about running 5 or 6K + in the corners. The engine comes alive above 5K so run it there. It really changed the way the bike handles. It wasn't made to be ridden with the brakes on. It is a lot more fun also when you can power through the turns rather than be standing on the brakes.

Some may know that secret but it was new to me for the LT. That was also my first time really riding with a group and it showed that I was lacking in some areas on just how to ride the "beast". They are still better than me but I do much better now.
BeemerJoe likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in