BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Cruise problems

866 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  meese 
#1 ·
Cruise quit after dealer serviced for sticking throttle. Checked cable clearances, seems ok. Tried diagnostics but can't get past the throttle off test. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Try this (thanks with the help from Mark Neblett!)

When I had my cables replaced on my 2000lt, the dealer never got it adjusted right. The mechanic took the easy way out and said that it was a bad throttle stop micro switch. They ordered a new micro switch for the fuel rail but another mechanic later found that it was just out of adjustment. This mechanic had to remove the plastic a couple of times to get it to work. It was still not right. After three times with the dealer fooling with it, I stripped the bike down including having to lift the fuel tank and had Mark Neblett come over and fix it in under five minutes. To check to see if the throttle stop switch is hanging up, perform the following:
Turn the wheel all the way to the left, turn the throttle in the off direction and release, you should hear a clicking noise of the switch opening and closing. Now turn the wheel all the way to the right, and do the same steps. With either of these steps if you have to turn "on" the throttle to get the switch to click, than the switch is out of adjustment.
Here is a copy of Mark Neblett's posting on August 21, 2004:
You basically need to remove the tupperware, the seat frame, and either remove the fuel tank or at least move it up/back far enough to get to the microswitch.

Once you have access to the switch, first verify the cables are locked into the clip on the top of the left fan housing. Take a T25 Torx bit and (1) loosen the rear one of the two screws holding the switch to its bracket, and then (2) loosen the front screw enough to push the switch toward the center of the bike about 2mm. The hole at the front end of the switch is elongated, so it will pivot about the rear screw. Note that there's not much space above the front T25 screw, so I use a T25 bit and a 1/4" open end wrench to turn the bit from the side.

Once you've moved the switch, tighten the front screw and verify proper operation by rotating the throttle between the "closed" and "cruise cotnrol off" positions. It should reliably click on/off every time. If it clicks on/off close to the end of the throttle travel range, readjust to put the "click" in the middle of the travel range.

Verify both switch screws are tight, then button it all back up.

#3 ·
cruise problems

Mike, I tried that and there is a definite clicking when the bars are turned to the left and right with the throttle turned in the off position. I've made sure that there is some slack in the cable adjustment too. Still can't get past the throttle test during the diagnostic procedure.

#4 ·
glennpe said:
Cruise quit after dealer serviced for sticking throttle.
Might seem simple, but why not make the dealer fix it? Especially if it was working correctly before they worked on the throttle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.