Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2016, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Hello,

This photo is of the Left side brake calibers, as you can see one of the pistons has a hole in it (the other side does not have this hole).

This does not seem to effect anything as the brakes were working fine.

Would this hole effect anything or should I continue to use the caliber as is?

Thank you.

This is off a 1999 K1200 LT. with 34K miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0183.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	111265  
BMW_forever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2016, 8:42 pm
Senior Member
 
ProfSnape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 165
Garage
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

While I am new to the BMW brakes, the Goldwing brakes pistons never made a hole like that. I found the brake rebuild kit and am attaching a pic. Something is eating the crap out of those piston faces. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	111273  
ProfSnape is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 1:14 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
While I am new to the BMW brakes, the Goldwing brakes pistons never made a hole like that. I found the brake rebuild kit and am attaching a pic. Something is eating the crap out of those piston faces. Good luck!
Where did you find the rebuild kit, do you have the website?

It looks like the pistons are replaceable too ?

Thank you.
BMW_forever is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 5:09 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Hello,

This photo is of the Left side brake calibers, as you can see one of the pistons has a hole in it (the other side does not have this hole).

This does not seem to effect anything as the brakes were working fine.

Would this hole effect anything or should I continue to use the caliber as is?

Thank you.

This is off a 1999 K1200 LT. with 34K miles.
The hole itself will not have any effect on breaking but I do see what Snape is talking about. I don't see a smooth route edge on those pistons protruding from the caliper. they look all chewed up in that picture.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 1:32 am
Senior Member
 
beech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
Posts: 2,561
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Hey, come on, we are talking about brakes. Fix it. It's your life. The kit looks good, hope there is a come back. BMW sells this at a reasonable (yeah, I know) price:
0 34 11 2 331 631 SET: REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER (to 01/01) 0.37 2 $98.06ADD TO CART
this is pistons and seals.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
beech is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 30th, 2016, 11:45 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Since we are talking about brakes, I have some questions:

1- What is the difference between Sintered and Non-Sintered brake pads as it pertains to the K1200LT bike.?

What does Sintered mean?

2- What is the difference between Kevlar/Carbon pads and Metalic and Organic pads ?

There are many choices and I am curious to know what if any is the difference or is it simply Marketing gimmicks?

Thank you.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 1st, 2016, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Since we are talking about brakes, I have some questions:

1- What is the difference between Sintered and Non-Sintered brake pads as it pertains to the K1200LT bike.?

What does Sintered mean?

2- What is the difference between Kevlar/Carbon pads and Metalic and Organic pads ?

There are many choices and I am curious to know what if any is the difference or is it simply Marketing gimmicks?

Thank you.

Can anyone answer? Anyone ??

Thanks.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 1st, 2016, 6:03 pm
Senior Member
 
ProfSnape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 165
Garage
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Check this link out, it answered many of your questions.

Motorcycle Brake Pads: Sintered Vs Organic - Dennis Kirk Powersports Blog
ProfSnape is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 2:08 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
Check this link out, it answered many of your questions.

Motorcycle Brake Pads: Sintered Vs Organic - Dennis Kirk Powersports Blog
Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

So now is the question: For the K1200LT shall I use the Kevlar/Carbon pads? Because I really don't want to replace the rotors if they wear out quickly because of the Sintered pads, as rotors are expensive.

Thanks.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 2:39 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

So now is the question: For the K1200LT shall I use the Kevlar/Carbon pads? Because I really don't want to replace the rotors if they wear out quickly because of the Sintered pads, as rotors are expensive.

Thanks.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe I remember someone stating the stock front pads on the LT are sintered. Not sure about the rear.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 9:38 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

I believe you are looking at the face of the puck. The piston is located behind it. Looks to me like someone didn't know how to disassemble it properly and tore it up in the process.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 291
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
I believe you are looking at the face of the puck. The piston is located behind it. Looks to me like someone didn't know how to disassemble it properly and tore it up in the process.
I assume you are talking about the photo of the Caliber?

What do you mean by face of the puck ?

How would one tear this up? There is not much to it....just take it off the bike and remove the brake pads. You would have to do a lot of digging to make that hole.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 11:12 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,307
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Unless you are the original owner, I suspect someone tried to push the pistons back into the caliper and really messed it up.

BTW I am still on my original front pads at 98K and rotors are fine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:17 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Question about Front Brake calibers/Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
I assume you are talking about the photo of the Caliber?

What do you mean by face of the puck ?

How would one tear this up? There is not much to it....just take it off the bike and remove the brake pads. You would have to do a lot of digging to make that hole.
If I go look at the MAX BMW fiche, it looks like the pistons are manufactured with a metal piston and possibly a phenolic insert (puck). The puck is likely hollow leading to the hole in yours from inappropriate attempts to disassemble. The puck may be an attempt to provide some additional heat insulation between the pads and the pistons to keep from boiling the fluid in extreme usage. It is this puck that looks like it is damaged although since it still has a flat surface even with the hole, it should not cause any issue as long as it isn't leaking. Although this is a picture of the rear, I would suspect the front would be the same construction.

Buy a set of pads and use them either carbon or sintered copper. Replace the rotors when you need to. This isn't a spark plug, it is something to save your life and needs to work well when you need it most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM Brake Kit.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	111921  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 Linked Brake Bleeding question Gkiesel RT Series 7 Aug 29th, 2014 8:40 am
Brake lights not working with front brake. Interceptor K1200LT 3 Sep 15th, 2013 6:58 am
Front Brake Pad Change - Lessons Learned JayJay RT Series 8 May 16th, 2012 1:49 pm
2008 LT front brake bleeding procedure acuningham K1200LT 5 May 2nd, 2012 12:57 pm
Brake Question chuckle K1200LT 13 Jun 30th, 2010 4:36 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome