Crack in the dash panel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Crack in the dash panel

I have an 03 LT and I just noticed a small crack in the grey plastic panel near the right mirror. If you look at the right mirror, imagine the seem created by the joint between the mirror and the bike. It is on the bottom and extends up about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. The crack is narrow, but it is a crack non-the-less. The bike has had no bangs on that side. I just "noticed" it the other day.

Question: The bike is still under warranty. My experience with BMW and my dealer is that they sometimes don't seem to be on my side. Should this be a warranty item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1
I have an 03 LT and I just noticed a small crack in the grey plastic panel near the right mirror. If you look at the right mirror, imagine the seem created by the joint between the mirror and the bike. It is on the bottom and extends up about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. The crack is narrow, but it is a crack non-the-less. The bike has had no bangs on that side. I just "noticed" it the other day.

Question: The bike is still under warranty. My experience with BMW and my dealer is that they sometimes don't seem to be on my side. Should this be a warranty item?
Hey, Dave - take a look at the fourth thread at the bottom of this page. Dezrae down in Aussie land had the same problem - took some pics of it too. I'd take copies of that with me to my dealer and press for coverage under warranty - it ain't wear and tear and abuse! HTH.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 1:00 am

Garage
Same problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Dave - take a look at the fourth thread at the bottom of this page. Dezrae down in Aussie land had the same problem - took some pics of it too. I'd take copies of that with me to my dealer and press for coverage under warranty - it ain't wear and tear and abuse! HTH.
I've had the same issue on my LT - and also on the RIGHT side.

I attributed the crack to my getting a wee little too close to an 18-wheeler while splitting lanes on my way to work... Let's just say that when the mirror hit the rear tire of the big-rig I was happy to have a change of underwear on board...

Not sure but I think if the mirrors get smacked a little too hard on the "back" side (two mounting points) it may cause the crack... In my case it was a fairly large SMACK and then I noticed the damage.

Beemer boneyard had a dash for sale at one time - I don't see it now - you may want to keep checking back if you decide a replacement is in order and it's not done under warranty.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Add me to the list. My '02 has a long vertical crack near the right mirror. I too wondered when I did that. Hearing you guys, now I'm convinced I didn't do anything to cause it.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:10 pm

My 2003 had the crack too, right mirror as well. The dash was replaced under warranty. The bike had gone down on that side, but before I bought it nearly three years before the crack appeared. It was a demo.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in