A problem on the way to work... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Red face A problem on the way to work...

Setting: 50° F outside, wet streets (due to rain that came through this morning) and an intersection that is brick-lined (for crosswalks).

I had come through that intersection countless times before and several times when it was wet. Everytime I go through there (including this morning) I think to myself that the bricks could be slick. Today, apparently, they were. Although, it seemed like I was beyond them when it happened, I think that they are the start of it all (though, I could be wrong).

Coming around the corner, I'm looking down the road that I'm intending to follow when I see the right side of the bike. Then, I'm feeling the asphalt sliding along my back and I see the bike leave me. I had a low-side fall (in case you couldn't guess). Thanks to my gear, I am uninjured (hell, even my gear isn't damaged - I'm guessing that it's because the pavement was wet). The bike, on the otherhand, has a few scrapes. I'll try to get pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

A couple people stopped (thankfully) to make sure that I was alright. I said that I was and I just needed help righting the Fat PigŠ. They helped and she was up in no time. I got her started again, put her in gear and she died. WTF? What's wrong with it?? Oh yeah, I put the kickstand down! DOH! I got her going, pulled into a nearby parking lot and got off for a couple of minutes to clear my pants - er, mind!

I'm still a bit shaky right now, but I'm fine. I'm sure that as soon as the adrenaline wears off, I'll feel a bit on the sore side. I'm thinking that I should have taken the whole thing as a sign to call in sick to work, but I'm a glutton for punnishment, it seems...

Off to get my morning caffeine!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:27 am

Sorry to hear about your mishap, I'm glad your alright and its nice that the bike didn't sustain much damage either.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:28 am

Hey, Alan - what's that up-in-the-air saying? Somethang about any landing you walk away from wuz a good one?! Glad you had a good one!! I can think of several wayz this one coulda turned nasty, butt since you're on a caffeine run, I'll just be thankful that it didn't.

Sharing is a good thang, btw - thanks for doing so.

post #4 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:33 am Thread Starter

The damage to the bike that I have noticed is:
The left wing, the shifter peg, the left lower fairing, the left saddlebag bumper strip and the heatshield all have scraping. The fairing damage is the most disheartening, I think.

I, too, am very glad that it didn't get worse. I'll just look at it as a learning experience and try not to repeat it!

BTW, do low-sides count towards Droppers Annonymous?

AJ

post #5 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:35 am

Glad to hear your OK. I bet we have ALL been in the same situation where we go around a corner in the rain and one time out of a hundred, the tire slips for no reason.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
BTW, do low-sides count towards Droppers Annonymous?
No, we'll left you off on this one. Glad to know your okay. Bits of plastic are easily repaired, body parts aren't.

Have a blessed rest of the day.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:46 am

Glad your OK and thanks for the reminder to be careful out there.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #8 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
No, we'll left you off on this one. Glad to know your okay. Bits of plastic are easily repaired, body parts aren't.

Have a blessed rest of the day.
Damn! I was hoping that I qualified for the pin..

AJ

post #9 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Alan - what's that up-in-the-air saying? Somethang about any landing you walk away from wuz a good one?! ----------.
"A good landing is one that you walk away from, a GREAT one is after which you can actually use the plane again!"

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
"A good landing is one that you walk away from, a GREAT one is after which you can actually use the plane again!"
Heheh.. I like that one!

AJ

post #11 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:29 am

LbH - glad you came out okay.

IMO: brick crosswalks...
waste of tax dollars for materials
waste of time to rip up roads and install X-walks
increased danger for cycles and bikes

but nevermind poor functionality - they sure look nice

same with cobblestone roadways (ala 3rd St downtown Milwaukee and I'm sure numerous places where you all have been). I feel about as safe on brick/cobblestone as I do crossing grated drawbridges

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

The Ultimate Riding Machine
post #12 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:37 am

Glad to hear you're alright.

-----
2008 K1200GT - Dark Graphite Metallic
post #13 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:44 am

Quote:
If you had dropped it trying to pick it up and been properly embarassed, then you would have qualified. Glad to see you've got a sense of humor. Just be glad you didn't drop someone else's for your first drop. DAMHIK

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Thinking back to my student pilot days. Instructor commands me to bring some passengers along so I can get used to flying a loaded Cessna 172. Of course that day turned into a scorcher, about 95F at 4500 feet altitute, the plane was loaded with fuel, and the 4 of us probably weighted in at 700 pounds. Took most of the 3000 meter runway to get it off the ground, stall warning keeps going off as soon as I try and gain some altitude. OK, now fly to XXX airport and do a touch and go. One problem, XXX only has a 1200 meter runway, instructor won't budge. Solution, make a full power, full flap descent, bounce the wheels off the numbers and apply full throttle right away. I'm surprised they ever flew with me again!

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #15 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Glad your ok.. You can always fix the bike...

Rich in Florida
post #16 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 2:43 pm
fas

Cool Opps;)

Quote:
Setting: 50° F outside, wet streets (due to rain that came through this morning) and an intersection that is brick-lined (for crosswalks).
Don't let the drop get you down. Our tire contact patch is about the size of a credit card. A bit of oil or cooling fluid may have been your root cause. Good to hear your bailout was successful. A little road rash on the tupperware is not a big deal. My new GT has a few dings now on the side bag and the front skin due to my attempt to go over a curb that was too tall.

Don't let it ruin your week.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #17 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 2:51 pm

"If you don't limp you aint $hoot.." or so the saying goes.. So, make it official.. limp a little. =) Plus what Dick said.. "any "landing" YOU can walk away from is successful..."

So, get back "in the saddle"...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Currently, I have no qualms about getting back into the saddle. I might take a day or two just to make sure that my back is good (it's a little sore right now).

AJ

post #19 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 4:11 pm

On my way home from work...

Ironically, I had an "incident" after following this post all day. Light drizzle, all gear on, and I was thinking about the bricks during my ride home. Turned around a corner and NEARLY slipped on right turn over a stop line. The right leg came out to save the fall (bad reaction I know). Those get damn slippery.

When I got to the garage, I thought I had dodged a bullet. Leaned the bike over to the left and whoop, whoop, WHOOOOOOP, laid it down as softly as I could. I thought the kickstand was down. I felt REALLY stupid standing there in the parking garage staring at my beached baby whale. I tried doing the "squat" lift method (butt against seat) to no avail. Eventually some guy walked past and I asked if he had a second to help me out. He did. Thank goodness those plastic engine guard covers function so well. I feel so stupid when I see the bike laying on the ground especially when it's my fault.

I thought I could share with some people who can relate and might figure on double-checking the kickstand before leaning it past the point-of-no-return.

BTW - Pete, what about those "Stop Laughing and Help Me Pick Up My LT" stickers? I could've used it today...

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

The Ultimate Riding Machine
post #20 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:15 pm
Gold Supporter

L-B-H,

I played ball at Iowa and went back two summers ago for a reunion. I rode my bike up there and I remember that all the streets in town seemed to be slicker than any place I have ever ridden before. The blacktop was extremly smooth and almost seemed greasy. I had trouble stopping a couple of times coming down hills, cause the rear wheel kept trying to come around on me. I think adding bricks to the cross walks would only make matters worse, wet or not.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #21 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:25 pm
Gold Supporter

Alan,

Like everyone else I am glad you are ok.

As you can see, many many of us have had similar experiences, so you aren't alone.

In additiion to what fas mentioned, watch out for leaves this time of year, diesel, and the nasty slime that seeps out of the back of garbage trucks!

Keep an eye on your back...

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #22 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Slick Bricks

I'M glad you came out of this one ok. It happens as they say.

Glenn R 1200 RT 07

Sand Beige Metallic
post #23 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Talking

Quote:

I had come through that intersection countless times before and several times when it was wet. Everytime I go through there (including this morning) I think to myself that the bricks could be slick. Today, apparently, they were. Although, it seemed like I was beyond them when it happened, I think that they are the start of it all (though, I could be wrong).

Coming around the corner, I'm looking down the road that I'm intending to follow when I see the right side of the bike. Then, I'm feeling the asphalt sliding along my back and I see the bike leave me. I had a low-side fall (in case you couldn't guess). Thanks to my gear, I am uninjured (hell, even my gear isn't damaged - I'm guessing that it's because the pavement was wet). The bike, on the otherhand, has a few scrapes. I'll try to get pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

A couple people stopped (thankfully) to make sure that I was alright. I said that I was and I just needed help righting the Fat PigŠ. They helped and she was up in no time. I got her started again, put her in gear and she died. WTF? What's wrong with it?? Oh yeah, I put the kickstand down! DOH! I got her going, pulled into a nearby parking lot and got off for a couple of minutes to clear my pants - er, mind!

I'm still a bit shaky right now, but I'm fine. I'm sure that as soon as the adrenaline wears off, I'll feel a bit on the sore side. I'm thinking that I should have taken the whole thing as a sign to call in sick to work, but I'm a glutton for punnishment, it seems...

Off to get my morning caffeine!
Glad you are alright.

I had a similar experience years ago on my Honda 90. I went down around a corner, with just a bit of sand. The front tire just slid right out and the bike went down. Sometimes I think that experience when I was 14 has stayed with me all these years and in some ways I have never forgot that. I think for me it was a good thing and keeps me thinking about safety.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #24 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Don't worry: you'll have plenty of time to join the club. When you least expect it, it'll happen. It might look something like this. (not quite sure when this pic came from... )

Glad you weren't hurt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	7486  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:36 pm
Super Moderator

Cool What the . . .

Drops and slides are preferred to crashes. Looks like your awareness and skills are helping you avoid the big one!! A drop a day keeps the big ones away . . . or something like that!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #26 of 30 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
I think adding bricks to the cross walks would only make matters worse, wet or not.
Yeah, the bricks for the crosswalks idea was one of the stupidest things that the City of Coralville has ever done. That, and spend a million dollars on big rocks at the intersections that don't do anything but make it into a blind intersection...

AJ

post #27 of 30 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:40 am

Wink Maybe you have improved your imunity to bricks

Everytime I go through there (including this morning) I think to myself that the bricks could be slick. Today, apparently, they were.
------------
I have similar thoughts about putting my LT on it's center stand, only it goes something like this:
"This parking space doesn't seem flat enough, maybe I should find a better one." I usually followed my instinct and moved the bike instead of trying to put the LT on its' center stand in a questionable location. ... then one day, after having that thought, I decided "I can do this." As she went up, she went over, away from me (at the BMW dealership). Boy was I embarrassed and shaken!!!

It happen's to all of us, or at least most of us. Just as I improved my imunity to inclined parking spaces, you probably have an improved imunity to wet bricks.

I'm glad you and your LT are o.k.

If it doesn't kill us, it makes us stronger (that's what I'm telling myself as I'm home for the eighth workday because of the Shingles and a severe cold).

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #28 of 30 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
...Solution, make a full power, full flap descent, bounce the wheels off the numbers and apply full throttle right away. I'm surprised they ever flew with me again!
LOL

Took an ultralight course once. The instructor told me that "it was the closest to heaven (or hell) he'd ever been"... Not a good thing!

Cheers,
Lucky

ATGATT
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJC Seca
post #29 of 30 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:43 pm

The City of Reno, NV put the brick and cobble stone crosswalks in during their "Down Town Redevelopment" several years ago. After numerous complaints that they were slicker when wet numerous tax dollars were sent doing studies to show that they were not slicker when wet. Well guess what they are again redeveloping downtown and they are now removing the brick cross walks.

"Not Slippery when Wet"

Rusty Snyder
post #30 of 30 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnyder
The City of Reno, NV put the brick and cobble stone crosswalks in during their "Down Town Redevelopment" several years ago. After numerous complaints that they were slicker when wet numerous tax dollars were sent doing studies to show that they were not slicker when wet. Well guess what they are again redeveloping downtown and they are now removing the brick cross walks.

"Not Slippery when Wet"
Yeah, while they look nice they are by no means cheaper than painting crosswalk lines in. They cost a lot to install, they cost a lot to fix and they cause, of course, traction problems.

AJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in