New to me, got lots of questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 9:59 am Thread Starter

New to me, got lots of questions

I just got my first LT, a 2009. I've been a member here for years and still have lots of questions. First is the GPS hook-up. My bike came with the wiring and mount but no cradle and no GPS. Is there a current Zumo I can plug and play? I just want GPS, Sirius radio and such is of no concern to me.
Next is the alarm. I have key fobs with buttons and an led. Do I need to have this in proximity to the bike to ride? Does this mean I have an alarm and remote locking as well?
Lastly, I have the intercom and in the cd area there are lots of connectors and a knob. I can't figure it out. Can I hook up my iPhone? Is there a way to charge it in that compartment?
Thanks and if anyone is in CT can we meet up so I can pick your brain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 11:51 am

Re: New to me, got lots of questions

I have a 2007 and you should get manuals for the bike, the manuals are packed with lots of info on how stuff works. I have five manuals, a manual for the anti theft and remote locking, Intercom 2 and sound system, maintenance/service info, owners manual and warranty info. It also came with key codes , alarm codes and radio codes. So try and find those on ebay or beemer boneyard.

Good Luck with your new bike.

Scott
2007 LT
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 4:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I just got my first LT, a 2009. I've been a member here for years and still have lots of questions. First is the GPS hook-up. My bike came with the wiring and mount but no cradle and no GPS. Is there a current Zumo I can plug and play? I just want GPS, Sirius radio and such is of no concern to me. RESPONSE: Not to my knowledge. If there is another which would plug and play in the stock cradle, it would be obsolete anyway and difficult at best to update any maps or data bases. I removed the Nav III cradle and installed a Garmin 590LM in its' place.

Next is the alarm. I have key fobs with buttons and an led. Do I need to have this in proximity to the bike to ride? RESPONSE: No, but if you have used it to lock the bike with the central locking system, you would need to use the fob to centrally unlock the bike, or unlock each lock individually.

Does this mean I have an alarm and remote locking as well? RESPONSE: Yes.

Lastly, I have the intercom and in the cd area there are lots of connectors and a knob. I can't figure it out. Can I hook up my iPhone? RESPONSE: No. I hooked up my iPhone to the 590LM and my Scala G9 helmet communications unit via bluetooth.

Is there a way to charge it in that compartment? RESPONSE: No. If you want to charge your iPhone, you can use one of the three powerlet outlets on the bike.

Thanks and if anyone is in CT can we meet up so I can pick your brain?
Good luck with your new-to-you bike - they're really excellent for long distance touring. See above responses to your questions....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

I have most of those manuals but the radio one looks like it's for the R1200CLC.

What's needed to get the 590 to work on the LT? Will the wires just plug & play?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 11:57 pm

I hope you enjoy your LT as much as I enjoy mine! Rev her up and Have Fun!
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 8:47 pm

Hook up a hot wire and a ground wire. Get your self a Sena 20S and bluetooth it to your helmet.
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 10:54 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Hook up a hot wire and a ground wire. Get your self a Sena 20S and bluetooth it to your helmet.
+1 That is what I have done, I run my music from the 590 to my 20s phone links to both to give traffic reports, works really well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in