Clutch or driveshaft problem???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Clutch or driveshaft problem????

Hello,
My 1200LT appears to have problem from 4 gear and up while going to full throttle it doesnt accelerates normal, it accelerates like i hold the clutch lever. This problem is not appears on low gears or when the engine is cold. Any advice would be helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 21st, 2016, 11:13 am

Re: Clutch or driveshaft problem????

Sounds like the clutch. They usually slip at lower rpms in higher gears when you hammer it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 11:34 am

Yep, that is the classic slip test. High gears and hard on the throttle. If the RPM's increase faster than the bike, the the clutch is the likely culprit. There have been a few cases of drive shaft issues but they are pretty rare.

The bigger question is, what is causing it to slip? Is one of the seals leaking and contaminating the clutch with one of the three oils possible or is it simply worn out. The work is the same to repair regardless and most opt to just refresh all the seals as they go along.

If you haven't, drill the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing and see if you get any oil out. That would be a major symptom that it is oil contamination but even with an oil contaminated clutch, you may not get any oil out there unless a seal is really badly leaking internally. Also, look for any oil around the clutch housing.

Bottom line, the only way to know for sure if you have no visual external signs of oil is to start pulling it apart.

Good luck and there are many here to help with any issues you might encounter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_K1200LT_clutch_housing.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	110969  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Jun 21st, 2016, 11:49 am

Clutch...

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 3:01 pm

Yeah. Sounds like Clutch. I am just finishing up replacing the clutch on my 1999 K1200LT.

It's a big job, but there are tons of resources here and with some organization and lots of pictures, it's not nearly as daunting as it seems at first.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 9:14 am Thread Starter

How much costs such a job?
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros View Post
How much costs such a job?
Andros, I posted a parts list in another thread with current prices back in March so they still should be pretty close. You can read that thread to see what the parts you can expect to need to replace while doing the job. Some may not need to be replaced depending on the wear like the clutch plate and pressure plate but that depends on how much wear and dishing has occurred. Only a close examination can determine that.

There are also some special tools required that are also noted in the thread. There are some on this forum that loan them out for the cost of the postage.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...arts-list.html

You will also need a Clymer manual as the process is outlined in that book. There are also several good threads on this site with pictures documenting this process.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 2:53 pm

Work at the dealer will be $1500 to $2100 depending on parts replaced and how complete you want the job. Lots of old rubber parts in there that need to be changed, transmission seals (several of them) The offending Oring in the rear main seal area. It is complex.
If you do it yourself it is about $500. for parts.
Here is a thread to give you an idea what you looking at:
GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com
I'm one of the guys who will lend you the home made special tools needed as found in the Clymer manual.
Once this job is done your bike is good for many years, the problem should not come back (if caused by Oring leakage).

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in