Auxiliary Fuel System.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Auxiliary Fuel System..

Anyone making a neat auxiliary fuel system for the klt?? Saw a neat one mounted near the rear license plate.. Thanks, Mark d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 11:30 pm
RMW

Mark,

Bunch of good ways to go. I chose the Tour Tank and did the install pictured on their site http://www.tourtank.com/RonWBMW.html I did it this way mostly because I wanted to keep the top box available for my wife's stuff when she flys in to meet me at our riding destinations. I can simply unplug the tank and leave it in our room until she flys out. I then have long distance capacity again.

I also remove the top box and bolt the tank directly to the back inside a sports bag. This is the setup I use for my IBA rides, saves me the weight of the top box. Both setups keep all the hardware hidden. Some folks do not like the idea of an enclosed fuel tank on a bike. I see no problem with it as long as it is done correctly.

Here are some other ways to go;

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=281884&page =&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/klt1200-fuel-cell.html

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

If you decide to do a tank I am sure there are a bunch of folks here who will chime in. Rounding up the parts is the biggest chore and I can let you know where I got mine. If you want to drop me an email with any other questions you have I'll be glad to pass on what I know. [email protected]

Good luck, hope this helps you get started.

Ron

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

Last edited by RMW; Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:47 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 6:16 am

Mark, I also went with the Tour Tank. I fabricated an aluminum bracket that fits over the pillion seat. There is about a 3/8" gap between the pannier doors and the plastic at the side of the seat. This is where my bracket mounts to the bike, I have an additional bracket under the seat that the tank bracket attaches to with two screws each side. I have the Tour Tank in a travel bag with a quick disconnect for the fuel line.

I plumbed mine to function without a pump by tying into the main tank vent line. Using a two way fuel valve I can switch the vent line from atmosphere (normal operation when not using the aux. tank) to the aux. tank. In this position as the main tank draws down the vaccum created in the main tank draws fuel from the aux. tank (which is vented to the atmosphere). The valve is left in this position as long as the aux. tank is on the bike. Simple and works great. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd
Anyone making a neat auxiliary fuel system for the klt?? Saw a neat one mounted near the rear license plate.. Thanks, Mark d.
Try Bill McAvan at http://www.BLM-Accessories.com

We have been riding with one of Bill's taildragger tanks for the past 9 months. I think it is the best option for 2-up riding. For solo riding, mounting a tank in the pillion area is also an option, but it places the load higher and is more noticeable in low-speed turns. JMHO.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:14 pm

I'll second Tom's recommendation of Bill McAvan's cell. I have about 40,000 miles on mine, (which was the prototype), including last year's Iron Butt Rally, and I love it. I enjoy not having to either remove it or do without the extra range when riding two-up. Also, I don't like having anything on the rear seat, (other than my wife or kids ), so a seat mounted cell is not an option for me. Bill's construction is top notch.

George
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:33 am

Thumbs down Caution SST

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd
Ifhttp://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/klt1200-fuel-cell.html

Ordering a cell from Sampson Beware. I had 2 problems. The first was related to poor placement of the drain fitting , after fuel transfer there was about 12-14 ounces of fluid in the tank. The second problem the tank volume which was advertised as 5 gallons measured 5.68. Refabrication was required to Correction these problems . Aside from these major problems there work is good but !! End of comment......

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in