Engine started and cut out a few mins later won't restart - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Engine started and cut out a few mins later won't restart

Thought my troubles were over with my 2004 UK LT (2005 USA). Went to get it out of the garage and engine started and rode the few yards down the drive. Left it running for a couple of mins while locking the garage.

In that time the engine cut out and now won't restart, it did try on one cylinder on the first attempt, but now nothing not even attempting to fire up on any cylinders.

The fuel hoses in the tank have been replaced as suggested when the problem was first put up, but that mainly concentrated on the fuel hose problems which have been resolved.

Looks like back to the start, but where's the best place to start on looking what the fault is. Getting to be an expert in removing the plastics, with no screws left over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 9:38 am

Re: Engine started and cut out a few mins later won't restart

I replaced the hoses on mine. Used aftermarket generic hoses. It blew open. Had to buy OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I replaced the hoses on mine. Used aftermarket generic hoses. It blew open. Had to buy OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double checked them and they are ok, the U one is genuine BM, the short one is aftermarket until I can get a BM one.

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 9:45 am

If you used the BMW OEM hoses then they should be good. If you used over the counter hose like Mondrage then you may still have an issue there. It needs to be rated for more than 50 Lbs pressure and submersible.

Second question is did you use fuel injection clamps? Double check for swirling in the tank to be sure you didn't pop off a hose or if it was not properly rated hose, that it didn't split like Mondrage.

If those check out, then check to make sure you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition. Could be a bad pump also. Sounds like a fuel issue on the surface. A GS911 diagnostic would be next in line if you can find someone with one.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Double checked and there's no swirling of fuel and clamps are fuel injection capable as they are BMW ones, the short fuel hose is rated at 50 lbs which is why I need to replace with genuine BM one soon. Fuel pump is priming as one would expect it to.

Been looking on ebay for gs-911 only the new wifi ones on the UK ebay at the moment at over 1500, unfortunately don't know any one locally that has a gs-911.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200_Pav View Post
In that time the engine cut out and now won't restart, it did try on one cylinder on the first attempt, but now nothing not even attempting to fire up on any cylinders.
You sure it is a fuel problem? Have you checked spark? Anyone have a GS911 near you that can help you with some diagnoses?

Sure hope you get her running soon.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #7 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

I don't believe its a fuel problem at all, think it lies somewhere else, hopefully a tomorrow job to check the sparks. No gs911 near me, hope a mate has one and on one of his trips around the country he can call in, but its a very slim chance that he might have a gs911.
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Garage

did you remove the plug from the coil pack? check it is on tight I left mine off during the service it wouldn't start obviously. took a while to find it

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2016, 9:04 am Thread Starter

This mornings testing dons so far.

1. Tried to start bike and still dead.

2. Put it in top gear with ignition on and kill switch in the run position. Now the dangerous bit if not careful, as bike could fall off the main stand or even start up, worse could damage your fingers if it starts up. Slowly rotated the rear wheel, as the wheel rotated the engine, the fuel pump was priming the system as whichever sensor detects the engine turning starts the fuel pump to keep the system topped up with fuel.

3. Side plastics off and No. 2 plug removed and grounded on casing to earth it. Pressed the starter and there was a spark, then the engine decide to start up.

4. Put number 2 spark plug back in, tried to restart the engine and it fired up on the first press of the starter button. Left it running until the fans came on and every thing seams ok.

5. Now waiting for it to cool down so can put the plastics back on, and back to the drawing board, and take it for a test run tomorrow as its booked in for its annual road test.

I looked at the conections on the coil pack and they all appear to be fully in place.
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2016, 10:41 am

Since you are in there, check the plug wires to ensure they aren't cut or crimped. I had a plug wire that was crimped during installation that eventually cut through to the wire. As expected, it caused me issues, but at least the LT cranked.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2016, 10:45 am Thread Starter

All checked and ok, in the end took the plug and leads of the coil pack to check for corrosion and all were clean, made sure that they were firmly in place on refitting them.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2016, 7:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

May be your fuel pressure, if it is not up around 50 PSI the bike will not run well if at all. The regulator is at the rear end of the fuel rail, also check the return hose for blockage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2016, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Checked the return loop and that appears ok, at the moment have no way of checking pump pressure. Took it for its annual test today and it ran fine only around a 6 mile round trip, doubt at the min will trust it on much longer runs. At least now I can do test runs locally, though could get a bit heavy to push back home.

Still keeping an eye on UK ebay for a gs-911.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in