shift linkage adjusting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

shift linkage adjusting

Hi.

Can anyone guide me through the correct adjustment procedure for the shift linkage? My BMW dealer adjusted my shift linkage, but screwed it up. I can get to first gear but no other gears. Since I just moved to Sioux Falls, SD I can't take it back to the dealer (180 miles in first gear is a bit much!) I was told by the dealer that the distance between the two lock nuts is 36mm. However, mine is adjusted to about 2.25 inches. So, I assume I'll have to disconnect the ball end and thread some rod into it. However, I'm not sure they know what they're talking about.

Thanks much!!!!

Reid

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Hi.

Can anyone guide me through the correct adjustment procedure for the shift linkage? My BMW dealer adjusted my shift linkage, but screwed it up. I can get to first gear but no other gears. Since I just moved to Sioux Falls, SD I can't take it back to the dealer (180 miles in first gear is a bit much!) I was told by the dealer that the distance between the two lock nuts is 36mm. However, mine is adjusted to about 2.25 inches. So, I assume I'll have to disconnect the ball end and thread some rod into it. However, I'm not sure they know what they're talking about.

Thanks much!!!!

Reid
Actually you don't have to disconnect the ball end. Just remove the foot rest plate, move it around so you can reach the adjusting nuts behind it and try different settings, put the foot rest plate back on and test, repeat until you are satisfied with the results. Then you can tighten everything back into place. It worked for me!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Actually you don't have to disconnect the ball end. Just remove the foot rest plate, move it around so you can reach the adjusting nuts behind it and try different settings, put the foot rest plate back on and test, repeat until you are satisfied with the results. Then you can tighten everything back into place. It worked for me!
That's what I did when the rod broke, but now I'm told there's too much rod between the locknuts, so I believe I need to shorten that distance which requires removing the ball end I think!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 5:17 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile I'll Measure My Spares.

Not sure if this may help, but as I have both linkages in my tool box as spares I measured. Both original as supplied :
Long one. 112.92mm end of ball to end of ball. 38.10mm between lock nuts.
Short one. 67.07mm overall, but one ball has a slight flat on the end of the ball. 12.52mm between the lock nut and the round moulding on the ball. HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Reid,
Mine are set: as measured, locknut face to locknut face on the long rod = 38mm
as measured, locknut face to (no locknut) short rod = 14mm

Hope this helps. My 99 shifts perfectly. And, to clarify you have 38 mm of threads showing and 14 mm of threads showing.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 9:15 pm

I never measured mine...

I just tried different settings until I was satisfied.
I also replaced my linkage with a kit from Philjohn, a member on this forum, on both my '99 after it broke and on my '03 as a preemptive strike. Very smooth!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #7 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, everyone. The confirmation of measurements is very helpful. I think I know what I need to do.

Reid

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You do have to disconnect one ball end, or you cannot make any adjustment. The nuts just lock the setting in place, but at least one ball end has to be turned in or out to adjust the length.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You do have to disconnect one ball end, or you cannot make any adjustment. The nuts just lock the setting in place, but at least one ball end has to be turned in or out to adjust the length.
Dave is correct and additionally, if you want the shifter to a higher position for comfort you 'COULD' file the chrome plate that the shifter bar was hitting after they improperly adjusted it. My dealer said "you can't adjust the shifter height" well I did and experienced your adventure and now can adjust em in 5 minutes FLAT!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #10 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:46 am

Quote:
I tried... and tried... to be right all the time, but alas it ain't so. Dave you are absolutely correct.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourdog
Reid,
Mine are set: as measured, locknut face to locknut face on the long rod = 38mm
as measured, locknut face to (no locknut) short rod = 14mm

Hope this helps. My 99 shifts perfectly. And, to clarify you have 38 mm of threads showing and 14 mm of threads showing.
I measured between the centers of the ball ends on mine. Probably the short shaft - the one that connects directly to the pedal shifter. Factory was 3.75". I adjusted out to 3.875" when I had the Suburban Machinery peg extenders on. The only measurement that counts is the distance between the centers, and only then on the same bike. All the others will vary depending on the vendor of the components and their tolerances and how the engine/trans was placed in relation to the foot pedal. The locknut faces, ends of the ball ends etc are not functional surfaces and will vary, not significantly, but they will vary from bike to bike. (Just the annoying engineer in me coming out.)

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
I measured between the centers of the ball ends on mine. Probably the short shaft - the one that connects directly to the pedal shifter. Factory was 3.75". I adjusted out to 3.875" when I had the Suburban Machinery peg extenders on. The only measurement that counts is the distance between the centers, and only then on the same bike. All the others will vary depending on the vendor of the components and their tolerances and how the engine/trans was placed in relation to the foot pedal. The locknut faces, ends of the ball ends etc are not functional surfaces and will vary, not significantly, but they will vary from bike to bike. (Just the annoying engineer in me coming out.)
The center distance affects where the shift lever is positioned, and can easily be adjusted up or down to the rider's preference. I have adjusted at least three other riders gear shift levers, plus my own. This has no affect on the transmission shifting though, unless you can adjust the lever so far that it hits something, then you will not get full throw on the transmission lever.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
The center distance affects where the shift lever is positioned, and can easily be adjusted up or down to the rider's preference. I have adjusted at least three other riders gear shift levers, plus my own. This has no affect on the transmission shifting though, unless you can adjust the lever so far that it hits something, then you will not get full throw on the transmission lever.
Really just commenting on the measurement exchange. Can't see how it would effect shifting either other than positioning the pedal too high or too low for the shifter to grab the next gear like you are saying. It's the only part of the bike I've dug into, looking forward to the 12K to learn more.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in