New tire thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New tire thread

The newest thread on tires I could find is 2011, so i'm starting a new one. Need recommendation on a High mileage tire for my 06 LT. Some of the older threads mention tires that are no longer available. I'm looking for a high mileage tire. I'm not one to do a lot of twisties and seldom (if i can help it) ride in the rain. Very conservative rider who tries to keep within speed limits. SUGGESTIONS? RECOMMENDATIONS? Will be going on a 3 or 4 k mile trip in the next month or so, and want to find a good dependable tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Re: New tire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
The newest thread on tires I could find is 2011, so i'm starting a new one. Need recommendation on a High mileage tire for my 06 LT. Some of the older threads mention tires that are no longer available. I'm looking for a high mileage tire. I'm not one to do a lot of twisties and seldom (if i can help it) ride in the rain. Very conservative rider who tries to keep within speed limits. SUGGESTIONS? RECOMMENDATIONS? Will be going on a 3 or 4 k mile trip in the next month or so, and want to find a good dependable tire.
I'm running 880 Metz on front and 888 Metz on rear. Supposed to be best tire for high mileage. The Metz is not as good as others in rain, but my plan is to ride slower in rain. Have no complaints so far. The 888 is about a 1/4" wider at it's widest point, so after install, take a peek at clearance between tire and swingarm. I thought it was a little close, so added a second wheel spacer. Some people don't have rubbing but some do.
ibbones and BeemerJoe like this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Garage
Re: New tire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Your options for the rear are limited as you probably read. The Avon Storm 3D XM, Bridgestone BTO20-M and Metzeler ME888. From my understanding the Metzeler last the longest with the Avon having the best traction and the Bridgestone being in the middle.
There is the Shrinko 777 that is rated 79H for the rear. I've heard that they are a decent tire but that about all I know.

The front has more options to pick from. Some prefer a matched set, some prefer mixing brands for longer wear. I like traction so I'm running Avons front and rear.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 11:39 am

Put an 888 on the front and rear. By far the best tires I've used for milage and dependability. The front is 10 mil wider and taller then recommended but wanted the 888. Didn't like the 880's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in