Add USB connector for MP3 streaming? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By marathoner
  • 1 Post By marathoner
  • 1 Post By jkersh1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Add USB connector for MP3 streaming?

Has anyone added a USB connector to the audio system to allow playing MP3 files on a USB drive? I'd be more than willing to give up my 6 CD changer and replace it with a way to allow USB music streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 9:40 am

Garage
Re: Add USB connector for MP3 streaming?

USB Charger- QDC

If you have a battery tender connection you can use this.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response but that is simply a charger and does tie into the audio system to play MP3 music. I'm looking for something like most cars have where you plug the USB drive into the connector and play music thru the audio system. I'm thinking that it would replace the CD changer so that there is power and controls can be used to forward/rewind/play just like a CD.
Patric likes this.

Last edited by marathoner; Jun 12th, 2016 at 1:58 pm.

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 2:15 pm

I just use my i-phone and bluetooth it to my Sena headset. Works great.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for response...but that still doesn't answer my question. I want to tie into the audio system so that everything (radio, CD, GPS, phone, rider/passenger communication, etc) all work as designed.

Something like this:
Patric likes this.

Last edited by marathoner; Jun 12th, 2016 at 2:44 pm.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 5:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Why doesn't that GROM unit work for you? IIRC the LT used the same CD changer as the BMW four wheelers.
Patric likes this.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathoner View Post
Has anyone added a USB connector to the audio system to allow playing MP3 files on a USB drive? I'd be more than willing to give up my 6 CD changer and replace it with a way to allow USB music streaming.
BMW iPod Interface w/Aux Input & Full Text - iBMWT by: Dice

This may be the closest you will get.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathoner View Post
I know this isn't exactly what your asking but they do make a cassette to sd card adapter if you have the cassette deck. There are several other adapters out there that others have used in place of the 6 disc changer. Enough digging in old posts should bring up a name or two.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Hi, I bought a dual-plug USB socket that has a rubber waterproof cap. Got it online a couple of years ago. Way before that I bought a nifty "arm" from Touratech that attaches right into a mirror hole next to the clutch master cylinder. Originally I had a Garmin GPS unit bolted onto that arm. To power the USB unit I ran a fused positive lead to the battery and a ground wire all the way to the tail light socket. You want the USB to switch off with the key as otherwise it will be "hot" all the time.

I put a RAM mount onto the same arm. To power my iPhone that's mounted to the RAM from the USB unit, I purchased a very short four or five inch cable, also online. It came from China and cost me 78 cents total, including postage. How that business model works, I have no idea.

So now, when I'm riding, the phone is powered and I use Bluetooth earbuds to hear tunes or navigation directions.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 4:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here's another response that doesn't answer your specific question: I replaced the stock, obsolete Nav III GPS with a Garmin 590LM, using the original mounting bracket on the stingray. The 590LM has a switched USB socket with a rubber weather cover. Although it doesn't run music through the LT's speaker system, you can use a bluetooth headset's speakers to listen to music. The added benefit is that you have access to the latest maps and don't encounter problems such as missing roads/motels/gas stations/etc due to outdated maps & data, as well as a larger screen, more features, and the ability to add a tire pressure monitoring system to the bike.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Tags
k1200lt, mp3, usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in