Hardware problems 10/14/06 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 11:35 am Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Hardware problems 10/14/06

We had a hardware event at about 2:30am PDT today. We have temporarily solved the problem. There will be some profound slowness in the site as we endeavor to implement the necessary repairs.

We apologize for the interruption in service.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Thanks guys - good work on a functional band-aid

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Prodigal Son

Talking Ok.Ok --

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
We had a hardware event at about 2:30am PDT today. We have temporarily solved the problem. There will be some profound slowness in the site as we endeavor to implement the necessary repairs.

We apologize for the interruption in service.
I got the message : I'll send the Platinum re-up money

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by early1
I got the message : I'll send the Platinum re-up money
Thank you for the support.

While this situation was not predicated by the need for money, we still need our member's ongoing support. A fat pipe, redundant hardware and a robust datacenter allowing us to recover gracefully from hardware or software events doesn't come cheap.

We have enjoyed very good up-time over the last year or so, and are constantly investing in improvements to our environments.

We are about halfway through the maintenance this morning. We should be finished by mid afternoon.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Gold Supporter

Thanks for the updates Randy... Sure sorry you guys are having to work on a Saturday - hope the weather is lousy...

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Question

Randy, can you give us an idea of the hardware and software you are using?
I think many of us work in IT in one shape or another, and perhaps can also donate some hardware/software, in addition to yearly cash contributions.
I, for instance can get some HP server hardware.
I am sure others can also come up with good stuff (not necessarily recycled old junk, like people donate to schools ).
Let us know if there is any interest. And thank you for holding down the fort!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Randy, can you give us an idea of the hardware and software you are using?
I think many of us work in IT in one shape or another, and perhaps can also donate some hardware/software, in addition to yearly cash contributions.
I, for instance can get some HP server hardware.
I am sure others can also come up with good stuff (not necessarily recycled old junk, like people donate to schools ).
Let us know if there is any interest. And thank you for holding down the fort!!!
Thank you for trhe offer, and while *I* might have been quick today to write that to a hardware failure in reality we cannot say with certainty it was hardware, especially since we almost at the same time on other servers suffered a hackers attack. (THAT is sure I found the foresic proof) So i essence it MAY have been either, a HW failure, or a aftereffect of a hackers attack, but after forcefully rebooting the DB server most of the forensic's are gone.

As Randy said above we are not exactly HW poor right now, but in order to stay ahead of the power curve we will start a new replacement cycle next year, and for that we will need to support of our members again. And those of you that are involved in IT will know that the initial costs of a piece of hardware is only one part of the equation, then there is the support, the bandwidth (LOTS of it) ... And everything costs money.

So if you want help drum up some support for the site so that we can continue to serve our community the same way we did for last 4 years.

Oh, and as a very generic answer: We are using Intel type server hardware and Linux as the OS.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 9:02 pm

So Andy, is this the possibility why some of us users have been having "sluggish" responses during the past two months?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 3:16 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
So Andy, is this the possibility why some of us users have been having "sluggish" responses during the past two months?
During the past two months? No. The day the script attack hit the internet was Sep 6th.

Now having said that before anyone jumps to conclusions here is my take on the reported sluggishness: I personally investigate each and every incident of reported sluggishness, but with the exception of the Portal page, the page you hit when you tupe in http://www.bmwlt.com I could not find a slussish page. True at times a page takes up to 2 seconds to load, but that is more due to connection issues than to server issues at least most of the time. Even in times of relative high load (more than 2500 concurrent users) I have not seen high server load. The things we might go up against is bandwidth at these times and this will be something we will have to investigate in the future.

BUT and here comes the kicker: That kind of bandwidth doesn't come free or even cheap. If we outgrow our current bandwidth allocation, the next step up will be substantial (We are currently on a 100Mb link throttled to 10Mb) so the step up will be to remove that throttle, but as Randy an I have pointed out in earlier posts this step as well running the whole site costs money. Those of you that have ever tried to get commerical grade connectivity at or above 10Mb/s know what I am talking about.

The best you can do to keep the lights on here is to sign up again when the time comes, or sign up for one of our memberships if you haven't done so yet.

And always remember: It is YOU, all the members that make this site what it is. We, as in the guys that run the servers are just that. Servants to the community in providing a service. (free of charge)
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 3:45 pm

If you consider the basic membership over a year, it's dirt cheap. Especially for all the good and entertainment that comes out of this site.

Shit, I sound like an infomercial.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Roger that Andy!

I'll upgrade my membership from Standard to Gold at renewal time!
I learned quite a bit from this site, but I also spent a lot because of it...!
I guess farklelitis comes at a price...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in