• 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By cws
  • 2 Post By Tricky_dickey
  • 2 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Lt or K-GT making the jump this week

Hey guys - here my delima - I have a r12c independence and looking to go full touring -
the LT is a full loaded but weights in at 80 kg more and and has only 100 bhp
the gt i am considering is a 04 with the Brick at 135 bhp it's lighter and more nimble - as I just cruise the forum it seems they are worst than my R1200C for repairs/ parts

any LT drivers out there that would like to voice a opinion i am concerned about that 800 lbs with the mama on the back - it 5 time my weight (measly 152 lbs with gear on) - not quite sure if the 100 bhp would satisfy me -

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:03 am

Re: Lt or K-GT making the jump this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
Hey guys - here my delima - I have a r12c independence and looking to go full touring -
the gt i am considering is a 04 with the Brick at 135 bhp it's lighter and more nimble - as I just cruise the forum it seems they are worst than my R1200C for repairs/ parts

any LT drivers out there that would like to voice a opinion i am concerned about that 800 lbs with the mama on the back - it 5 time my weight (measly 152 lbs with gear on) - not quite sure if the 100 bhp would satisfy me -

Richard
FWIW, they increased the HP in '05

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #3 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Richard
If performance is your key goal, and I get the impression it is from the HP references you made, then the LT is not your choice. Buy the GT or GTL and enjoy.

If maximum two-up comfort is your goal and you want to effortlessly cruise for hours a day with the best weather protection available, then the LT is your mount.

I wrote a long comparison back in 2013 after I rented a GTL for a 12 day Alpine tour. My wife hated it and I was lukewarm. So, I kept my LT and am just finishing $2500 in repairs (oil soaked clutch) and upgrades (SS brake lines, Nav 5, Wilbers shocks) and plan to keep it another 9 years. I likely will add a custom seat as even with the BeadRider the seat is getting long in the tooth. And after 9 years a windshield is in order. However, even with these added the cost will be under $4,000 most likely which wouldn't even cover two years' depreciation on a new GTL.

It is all about what you want in a bike and how you ride. The GTL is a fantastic machine, but it has a different focus than does the LT.
beech, palarimer and ProfSnape like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

do you know what the difference was - cams ECU - i've scouring the web looking for a 05 with the power stand but nothing within 200 miles of me - I would do the upgrades
thanks
post #5 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

well the hp thing is a issue if i go out on my own - this is for the wife and I to ride 2 up - I have a Ducati for my boy toy - if ur saying that this is a comfy cruiser it might just be the ticket to get her out on the bike more than on the odd occassion. do you find it's tuff for city riding as I do have to ride 40 minutes to get out of the city. How the torque for climbing those mountain passes
thanks for ur input
post #6 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
well the hp thing is a issue if i go out on my own - this is for the wife and I to ride 2 up - I have a Ducati for my boy toy - if ur saying that this is a comfy cruiser it might just be the ticket to get her out on the bike more than on the odd occassion. do you find it's tuff for city riding as I do have to ride 40 minutes to get out of the city. How the torque for climbing those mountain passes
thanks for ur input
She'll definitely like riding on it. My wife loves it and asks to ride versus my road king which she hated riding on. We load the bike pretty heavily and have no problem with takeoff torque or passing power. Remember, this is a touring bike not a speed demon or torque monster, if you keep that in mind you'll be happy. I commute in the city every day and have no problems with the size or handling. Slow speeds take a bit of getting used to but once it's moving it's smooth sailing.
Tricky_dickey likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
thanks for ur input
I find my LT easier to ride in the city than the GTL. The GTL is nice with more torque and the wet clutch, but its drivetrain lash made city riding very annoying. The LT doesn't have a lot of torque down low, but you just have to rev it. It will climb mountain passes at 70 MPH in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th depending on how steep. It will go something like 62 MPH in 1st gear! So, you just shift down until you have the power needed. However, it is nothing like the GTL power-wise. That is just simple mathematics.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Quote:
do you know what the difference was - cams ECU - i've scouring the web looking for a 05 with the power stand but nothing within 200 miles of me - I would do the upgrades
thanks
Beginning in 2005, besides a bunch of gadgets/options, a power stand (EHCS) and a more fancy dash, BMW upped the HP by changing these engine items:
(1) higher compression ratio from 10.8 to 11,5 (Pistons have different part no, but cylinder head is the same)
(2) larger throttle-bodies (from 34mm to 36mm)
(3) different camshafts
(4) different Motronic-EFI version to match above items

Other items that may change the perception of power distribution is the change of gear ratios of 4th and 5th gear for 2005-2009 (there is no 6th gear on any K1200LT, but instead a reverse).

HOWEVER, all these technical details means little if you are not comfortable handling the beast at low speed. We have at least one member here from Australia that owns both the bike you have asked for (a 2003-2004 K1200GT and a K1200LT). Hopefully he will chime in to give his opinion.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jun 10th, 2016 at 2:58 pm.
post #9 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Quote:
thanks for ur input
Well, if you already have the Ducati for the thrill, the LT will be great for two up riding enjoyment without terrifying your passenger to death. At 80-85mph, my ride is smooth all day long. I don't know about your rider but mine would be tapping my shoulder at anything 90+mph, even sooner if the speed limit is 40mph.

The Ducati will wave bye-bye to the LT but the LT will pass the Ducati as you sit on the side of the road getting a fast riding award from the local Black and White. I would love a Ducati but am too pretty to go to jail.
post #10 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Well, if you already have the Ducati for the thrill, the LT will be great for two up riding enjoyment without terrifying your passenger to death. At 80-85mph, my ride is smooth all day long. I don't know about your rider but mine would be tapping my shoulder at anything 90+mph, even sooner if the speed limit is 40mph.

The Ducati will wave bye-bye to the LT but the LT will pass the Ducati as you sit on the side of the road getting a fast riding award from the local Black and White. I would love a Ducati but am too pretty to go to jail.
yeah that pretty much sums it up - she hates the Ducati to cramped and with a hip replacement it get sore real fast - I had to put floor boards on for her so she could move her feet about - I want this for long leisurely rides. If the airflow doesn't beat her up on the rear i can get away with 20-25 over the posted. I going to bet that she prefers the LT of the K that we tried out the other day from the post that I have received.
thanks
post #11 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

how hard can you rev the LT -??? is she comfortable running in the higher band??? my boxer loves 3000-3500 gets a little rambunctious when i'm running it at 5500 (vibrations through the whole chassis)
post #12 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

has anyone on the list upgraded the cams' and throttle and ECU
post #13 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am sure many have traded up from pre-2005 to the later models.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
FWIW, they increased the HP in '05
It does everything I need it to do. But then again, I am not into racing.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #15 of 39 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Quote:
I do not think this would be cost effective as the new Motronic EFI also assumes the higher compression ratio pistons to be in place. Finding a good 2005-2009 used K1200lT is much cheaper, simpler and less of being a "guinea-pig" with unknowns modifications.

Another option is to take your time, shop around for owners who will let you try a 1999-2004 models. This will let you make up your mind about your "lack of power" concern for 1st generation. Although I have 130HP in my K1200RS, there are some very good riders here who own 1st gen K1200LT (100 HP) that I would have a hard time to keep up with. It has been said and proven many times by experienced racers, the rider is more important than the bike or the HP... unless you want to do ONLY drag races ;-)

Quote:
how hard can you rev the LT -??? is she comfortable running in the higher band??? my boxer loves 3000-3500 gets a little rambunctious when i'm running it at 5500 (vibrations through the whole chassis)
You will be VERY SURPRISED how much pulling power you get out of this 880 lbs beast when you rev it up in 5000-8000 rpm range. This engine is smooth at almost all RPM as it is rubber-mounted in a very rigid backbone supporting frame. You CANNOT compare this with any of the Boxer models (R1100 or R1150 or R1200).

In reality, for everyday leasury use, this engine will do well by shifting at 4000 to 5000 RPM and cruising at 3500 to 4500 RPM, You can shift up at lower RPM, but if you need to get going there is little point in shifting below 4000 RPM - this is a 4 cylinders not a large V-Twin. When you are in a hurry or want some excitement, the engine will LOVE higher RPM.
Voyager and mcracer like this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Jun 10th, 2016 at 8:30 pm.
post #16 of 39 Old Jun 11th, 2016, 10:29 am

I've owned an 02LT, 06LT and currently have an 07 K1200GT.
The gt hurts my knees, other than that is reasonably comfortable. But it's no LT, which is arguably the most comfortable 2 up motorcycle ever.
The gt is more fun, my wife wants the LT back. We sat on a 09 with the soft touch seats a couple weeks ago and just sat there and talked. It was so comfortable we didn't want to get off of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #17 of 39 Old Jun 11th, 2016, 7:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes I spent an entire day (riding seminar) in the N Georgia mountains and never got out of 2nd gear and stayed above 50 MPH. Of course gas mileage went down hill but what a blast, felt like had a different bike. Very smooth too no nasty vibes all the way up to the rev limiter.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 39 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Well thanks for all your input- went out and tries a GT it was okay -tuff at low speed to handle but over 5 mph started to ease up- wife hated the seat and and the pegs, even with a backrest she was not feeling secure (had a custom sitted seat done at Corbin - so it fits her to a TEE) first thing was we will have to go to Hollister with the bike and fit me b4 i go anywhere on that one. that will cost a couple of K for the trip and shopping. Tried the LT and she was very impressed with it overall. I was surprised how easy it was to handle at low speed. During the test ride i went off to a empty lot and did some figure 8's and hard stops, acceleration and tight tight turns and flop overs. Was very very impressed with the ease of control and not noticing the weight of this mammoth beast. Didn't really open her up or go on the highway as it started to rain hard. too bad the front ires was crap and the front brake was leaking , rear tire was worn flat. So i am going to the LT - have found a 06=07 one owner with 60 k miles - so I'm hoping to get the greater power and the power stand and the later options. only bitch is it's 400 miles away- keep u all posted
BALDTIRES likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 5:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Well thanks for all your input- went out and tries a GT it was okay -tuff at low speed to handle but over 5 mph started to ease up- wife hated the seat and and the pegs, even with a backrest she was not feeling secure (had a custom sitted seat done at Corbin - so it fits her to a TEE) first thing was we will have to go to Hollister with the bike and fit me b4 i go anywhere on that one. that will cost a couple of K for the trip and shopping. Tried the LT and she was very impressed with it overall. I was surprised how easy it was to handle at low speed. During the test ride i went off to a empty lot and did some figure 8's and hard stops, acceleration and tight tight turns and flop overs. Was very very impressed with the ease of control and not noticing the weight of this mammoth beast. Didn't really open her up or go on the highway as it started to rain hard. too bad the front ires was crap and the front brake was leaking , rear tire was worn flat. So i am going to the LT - have found a 06=07 one owner with 60 k miles - so I'm hoping to get the greater power and the power stand and the later options. only bitch is it's 400 miles away- keep u all posted
Well, if you wanted to fly down to the LA area and ride back up Highway 1, you could buy my fully loaded '07 LT:

One of the best LT’s available, immaculate & very well maintained, 45,900 miles, all standard features, including Electronic center stand (EHCS);cruise control; electronic windshield; adjustable rear shock; dual front disc brakes; servo-controlled integral ABS brakes; central locking; 3 12V powerlet plugs; reverse gear; radio & single CD player (note – does not work); stingray storage compartment with stock flashlight; heated seats and handgrips; and left & right fins for regulating slipstream pressure against the rider.

Optional equipment/farkles (over $6,000 invested):

• Russell Day Long seat with leather uppers, vinyl sides, rider & pillion backrests, matching pillion seat recovered by RDL, & rain cover;
• Yacugar F/R shocks (from Ted’s Beemer Shop);
• Garmin 590LM GPS (mounted in place of stock BMW Nav III system (with F/R tire pressure sensors;
• Spiegler stainless steel brake lines;
• PIAA driving lights controlled by AS-7 Autoswitch (linked to turn signal canceling switch);
• Jiffy Tite quick disconnects on gas tank fuel lines;
• BMR luggage rack (DOES NOT INCLUDE rheostat control for Veskimo cooling vest equipment shown on picture);
• Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks top case latch kit;
• BMW RT left and right handlebar-mounted rearview mirrors;
• Rider-West brake light (flashes top case brake lights);
• Complete set of Kathy’s Journey luggage (both panniers, top case, and top case rack);
• Centech AP-2 fuse block;
• V-stream polycarbonate windshield;
• Speedbleeder valves on F/R brake calipers & clutch bleed line;
• Odessey PC680 battery;
• Clymer Shop Manual; and
• Two mounts for GoPro camera on front of fairing & left tip over wing and stingray mount for GoPro remote control (DOES NOT INCLUDE GoPro camera and remote).

The engine, transmission, & final drive fluids were changed, gas tank fuel lines, gas & air filters, spark plugs, and one valve bucket were replaced at 42,500 miles. Brake lines, pads, & fluid (including clutch fluid) were changed at approximately 40,700 miles. Front tire (Metzler) has less than 200 miles on it, while rear Bridgestone has 6,875 miles on it, and a spare rear is also included with 5/32nds tread remaining.

$8,000 OBO (I bought a '16GTLE and although I love my LT, it's taking up my garage space for the new bike...).

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #20 of 39 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 7:05 am
cws

Garage

Hiya. As Sailor mentioned I own both of them... both 2004 build, but called 2005 model.
The LT (with about 120,000km on it) is now almost purely for touring trips with the wife. It's super comfy for long distance (wife won't get on the back of anything else), pulls a trailer with ease, and really its only drawback ever has been the really low speed handling (under 5mph/10kph) and the risk of burning clutches if trying to start off like a "normal" bike. But you learn to work with that. In all other aspects its the best "touring" bike I've ever ridden.... I've had mine for about 11 years now, never to be sold!
I bought a GT 2 years ago to rest the LT's legs from the daily commute in traffic, and also since I do my own servicing now its basically the same stuff on both bikes... less to learn! The GT is lighter (although still a heavy bike) and a little narrower for lane-splitting, very quick off the mark and certainly rides more like a sports-bike than the LT can. I wouldn't look forward to the prospect of riding the distances I've done on the LT with the GT.
My wife did one short ride on the back of the GT, and said never again... she was already spoiled by the LT

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #21 of 39 Old Jun 13th, 2016, 7:25 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
You can run it up to the red line, smooth as butter but it won't let you go past that!
It loves running in the higher revs (not with the wife on the back though).
Did a track day on mine when it was only 10,000km old..... brilliant fun.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 39 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hiya. As Sailor mentioned I own both of them... both 2004 build, but called 2005 model.
The LT (with about 120,000km on it) is now almost purely for touring trips with the wife. It's super comfy for long distance (wife won't get on the back of anything else), pulls a trailer with ease, and really its only drawback ever has been the really low speed handling (under 5mph/10kph) and the risk of burning clutches if trying to start off like a "normal" bike. But you learn to work with that. In all other aspects its the best "touring" bike I've ever ridden.... I've had mine for about 11 years now, never to be sold!
I bought a GT 2 years ago to rest the LT's legs from the daily commute in traffic, and also since I do my own servicing now its basically the same stuff on both bikes... less to learn! The GT is lighter (although still a heavy bike) and a little narrower for lane-splitting, very quick off the mark and certainly rides more like a sports-bike than the LT can. I wouldn't look forward to the prospect of riding the distances I've done on the LT with the GT.
My wife did one short ride on the back of the GT, and said never again... she was already spoiled by the LT

Pretty much what my wife said - seat was bad - cramped etc etc etc
post #23 of 39 Old Jun 14th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Pretty much what my wife said - seat was bad - cramped etc etc etc
Test drive a K1600-GTL or GTL Exclusive with arm rests! Very comfortable for the passenger. The GT is more of a sport bike without focus on passengers needs.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #24 of 39 Old Jun 15th, 2016, 10:47 pm

The Misses and myself were really disappointed with the GTL seats. $27K for a motorcycle and you still have to spend a grand on seats.
The LT soft touch still reigns supreme.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #25 of 39 Old Jun 16th, 2016, 4:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Well...my butt insisted that I replace the stock LT seat with a Russell and it continued to thank me after every ride lasting longer than 45 minutes. Not sure about the GTLE seat, as I've just gotten about 400 miles on the clock and the longest ride so far has been about 45 minutes, but with no butt complaints.... Time will tell.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #26 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 1:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:

Richard

Well i did it - I purchased a 06 lt with 40k 60 kms for $6k cdn- had to travel to get it and am getting use to it now. the P/O was 6'4" i'm 5'7" so i had to shave the seat at my daughters on the way home as there was no way i could stop and hold this massive bike up- took 4" inches of foam off the top and 3" on either side of the seat . stapled the cover back on and rode on home. with the balls of my feet touching the ground. Once home i removed the cover and heating pad again and properly shaved and form the seat until i can order another/ and /or get a custom fitting.
quite suprise at how well it handles and smooth it is. enjoyed my 400 mile ride home with the cruise on and some Motown and was astonished that i got 400 miles out on one fill. Thanks for all the info and now i will go forward with a few items that need some attention
cws and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #27 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:31 am

Garage

Congratulations.

I assume that you purchased the LT, not the GT.

I initially interpreted that your 400 mile trip on "one fill" (approx. 6.1 gallons of gas), resulted in about 65 mpg (?). Thinking about it the best mileage I am aware of is in the 50 mpg range, so it must be that you stopped for gas during your trip to fill up.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #28 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Wayne View Post
Congratulations.

I assume that you purchased the LT, not the GT.

I initially interpreted that your 400 mile trip on "one fill" (approx. 6.1 gallons of gas), resulted in about 65 mpg (?). Thinking about it the best mileage I am aware of is in the 50 mpg range, so it must be that you stopped for gas during your trip to fill up.
nope did not stop i did a total of 400 miles on on fill and put in 5 gals (19 litres) my milage monitor advise i was getting 61 mpg and i assume that per / US gallon rather than the Imperial gallon, city it shows 57 mpg - which is better than my Mini Cooper S
post #29 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Cool Re: Lt or K-GT making the jump this week

down hill with a tail wind!!!

03 k1200 ltc
post #30 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Uhhh, 400mi/5 gals = 80 mpg. You must have been on a 10% downhill grade the entire trip. I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage on this bike. Now, maybe you did 400km on 5 gals of gas, that would be 50 mpg and way more believable.

'15 GTLE

post #31 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Garage

You did probably get very good mpg. I am not sure you got 80 mpg. You might have done the same thing I did. My brother gave me his 2000 Lt when he bought his new K 1600 GT. He even gave me the bike with a full tank of gas. After riding about 300 miles I filled up the gas tank, it only took about 5 gallons of gas. Wow, 60 mpg. When I told my brother about this he said he got an average of 43 mpg with the LT and then asked me how did I fill the bike up?
"On the center stand" I replied. He then told me that he always filled the bike on the side stand and watched for the level to top off before finishing, getting over 6 gallons in the tank. That meant I was short up to 1 and 1/2 gallons on my mpg calculation, or a correction to 46 mpg. (better mileage than my brother because I was taking it easy on the throttle, while my brother always rode it like he stole it). The bottom line, enjoy the bike, the mpg is secondary at best, when riding the LT it's more smiles per gallon.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #32 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

400 miles on one tank doesn't sound right. The best I've managed on my LT for part of a tankful was about 56 mpg while putting through Yellowstone at 35 mph. The lowest I've gotten averaged 37 mpg, but the average is about 43 - 46 mpg.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #33 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

there was some down hill but a lot of uphill as well, mountain pass - on second tank now and will recheck the total- but get better distance than my Ducati
post #34 of 39 Old Jul 7th, 2016, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

sorry caprian - there is a bit of a conversion error - i put in 19 litres which is a little over 5 imperial gallons not 5 US gallons
post #35 of 39 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
sorry caprian - there is a bit of a conversion error - i put in 19 litres which is a little over 5 imperial gallons not 5 US gallons
My 207 LT has averaged 47.75 MPG during its 54,000+ miles. Yes, I keep a spreadsheet and record every tankful. It is the curse of the engineer. And this is a true average suing total miles ridden and total gallons consumed, not the erroneous "average of the averages" that many will calculate where they average the individual tank averages. This skews the results since each fill-up doesn't have the same amount of fuel and thus you get the "weighted average" effect.

My highest individual tank was 55.8 MPG so I know the LT can, under the right conditions, deliver pretty impressive mileage. The day I got 55.8 was on a leisurely cruise of 45-50 mph with a group of cruiser riders on some very nice rural roads. Add in a strong tail wind, and I think 60 is not out of the question.

I once achieved 48 mpg on a tank with a 1984 Honda Accord that typically returned 32 on the highway. I was coming across Minnesota and Wisconsin with a 40+ mph tail wind. I could drive 55 mph and hear almost no wind noise from the car! It was spooky, but the gas mileage was absolutely phenomenal.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #36 of 39 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
400 miles on one tank doesn't sound right. The best I've managed on my LT for part of a tankful was about 56 mpg while putting through Yellowstone at 35 mph. The lowest I've gotten averaged 37 mpg, but the average is about 43 - 46 mpg.
y readout say's anywhere between 56-62 mpg
post #37 of 39 Old Jul 9th, 2016, 12:34 am

The LT is happiest at higher RPM. Between 4,500 -5,500 .,Especially on twisty mountain roads. It loves it.
ibbones and Tricky_dickey like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #38 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 12:15 am

Cool Re: Lt or K-GT making the jump this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I do not think this would be cost effective as the new Motronic EFI also assumes the higher compression ratio pistons to be in place. Finding a good 2005-2009 used K1200lT is much cheaper, simpler and less of being a "guinea-pig" with unknowns modifications.

Another option is to take your time, shop around for owners who will let you try a 1999-2004 models. This will let you make up your mind about your "lack of power" concern for 1st generation. Although I have 130HP in my K1200RS, there are some very good riders here who own 1st gen K1200LT (100 HP) that I would have a hard time to keep up with. It has been said and proven many times by experienced racers, the rider is more important than the bike or the HP... unless you want to do ONLY drag races ;-)

You will be VERY SURPRISED how much pulling power you get out of this 880 lbs beast when you rev it up in 5000-8000 rpm range. This engine is smooth at almost all RPM as it is rubber-mounted in a very rigid backbone supporting frame. You CANNOT compare this with any of the Boxer models (R1100 or R1150 or R1200).

In reality, for everyday leasury use, this engine will do well by shifting at 4000 to 5000 RPM and cruising at 3500 to 4500 RPM, You can shift up at lower RPM, but if you need to get going there is little point in shifting below 4000 RPM - this is a 4 cylinders not a large V-Twin. When you are in a hurry or want some excitement, the engine will LOVE higher RPM.
You could always go the Rhine West chip and Remus exhaust route. That will equal what the newer bike provides in power!

Sounds good also! :-)
post #39 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2016, 2:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980 View Post
You could always go the Rhine West chip and Remus exhaust route. That will equal what the newer bike provides in power!

Sounds good also! :-)
Uh, no, definitely not! I rode my '07 LT last week and it was without a doubt, slower and heavier than my new GTLE, but then again, very comfortable....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in