2005 K12LT Brake Fault Code 17181 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Question 2005 K12LT Brake Fault Code 17181

Due to several episodes of “crazy stuff” I have not been able to ride my 2005 K1200 LT much in the last few years. When I finally had a chance a month ago the brakes broke (and I have a feeling that I will be broke soon). The "brake failure" message flashed at 4hz and the Triangle of Exclamation came on.

(I've got to say that I find it interesting that the "brake failure" message is understated in all lower case, I would have at least made it "Brake Failure" and "BRAKE FAILURE" is really more appropriate. Heck, even "Clock Mode" and "Trip Reset" get more emphasis than "brake failure".)

Action Taken - spent lots of money and time to try to fix the problem. Acquired a GS-911 Wi-Fi (so cool!), replaced the OEM brake lines with Spieglers; installed SpeedBleeders; flushed and bleed the system (repeatedly) until both front and rear circuits passed the Bleed Test.

Current Symptoms – the understated warning lights still come on and error code “17181 : Pressure in front wheel circuit to low” is reported by the GS-911. The motors in the ABS modulator sound sick and sometimes stop working and sometimes stay on. The GS-911 also reports that the front brake pressure is much lower than the rear brake pressure. (I would provide the pressure numbers, but I have not figured out how to get them off my phone. Where is a teenager when you need one?)

Also Note - when flushing the front brakes, the ABS modulator did not pump out the brake fluid like it did for the rear brake.

My Diagnosis – the electronics (sensors and/or motors) in the ABS modulator have failed. Is there anything else to check or give me hope that anything less than BMWing (Bringing More Wallet) to the dealer to replace the ABS modulator will fix the problem.

Alternative - I have read up on ABSectomys, but since my sole reason for having the LT is to have my wife ride with me, I am not interested in that approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 5:56 am

Re: 2005 K12LT Brake Fault Code 17181

In my thread about the ABS failing on my bike there are some links to a company in Germany that possibly can repair the ABS pump.

Don't know if there are any new pumps in the USA, but there are none in the UK and BMW Germany have any either.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ly-failed.html
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 11:30 am

Yeah... Bummer. I just bought a new unit for my LT. Such a large bike needs abs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Did the servo sound the same just not as much pressure? If so maybe the relief valve is sticking. It is a bear to get off but some have had good luck cycling the little piston then re-installing it. Photo shows the valve and it will be the one in line with the taller reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relief Valve.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	110049  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in