Rough Idle - 2005 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Rough Idle - 2005 LT

I got my bike back from the dealer for a 12k service. The bike is rough at idle even at operating temp. At stops the tach needles bounces and the handlebars shake like a Harley. It was rough before the service as well. The canisters have been removed. Is this the way the bike is supposed to be?

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm

You stated it was rough BEFORE the service! LTs aren't rough. It could be a bad spark wire, a vacuum hose or throttle body connection. The dealer should have found any problem that existed while they were in there. Unless, of course, THEY caused this one... wouldn't be the first time.

Did you mention to them the roughness?

Did they read the Modec codes looking for faults?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:22 am
IBR# 366

Garage
If it was running rough before the service, then you should have mentioned it so they could have looked for the problem. Most probably a vacuum leak near the throttle bodies.

BTW, you did plug the vacuum hose after removing the canister, right?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 4:03 pm
DGM

My 99 had the same rough idle.I found the problem after I changed the clutch. The throttle position senor was loose. The paint was still on the little allen bolts, but I could turn them with my fingers. An allen wrench and some lock tight fix the shake.
Don
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 7:58 pm

My 2005 ran rough and I asked the dealer, the tech claimed it was normal. I wasn't impressed and didn't really beleive him. The idle was running up and down hunting as if it had a leak.

Just had the clutch cylinder leak and a new clutch under warranty. This bike has been a disappointment and it still hasn't been reassebled properly.

2005 K1200LT
1996 Heritage Softail
Ottawa, CANADA
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:26 am Thread Starter

It ran rough before the canister removal, yes the vac hose was plugged and yes I told the dealer prior to the 12k service.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:28 pm
DGM

Question

Jim.
Have you had any clutch done?
Don
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

No - I have not had the clutch done. The clutch has not been a problem. Why would the clutch cause the bike to idel rough?
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 5:20 pm
DGM

Wink

It is not the clutch that would be the problem. When I removed the transmission to get to the clutch, I found that the air silencers had pulled loose. That created an air leak. Not too hard to fix though.I used a tack pulling screw driver to force the boots back down. That fixed the leak.
If you had ANY work done that would require the cross-over mount to the transmission to be removed, this is where you want to look. Not too hard to see, you only have to remove the engine lowers and use a good flashlight.

Don
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
I got my bike back from the dealer for a 12k service. The bike is rough at idle even at operating temp. At stops the tach needles bounces and the handlebars shake like a Harley. It was rough before the service as well. The canisters have been removed. Is this the way the bike is supposed to be?
When you say the tach needle bounces, do you mean random, high speed "flutter", or do you mean rising/falling every couple seconds or so? If the latter, it is probably a specific vacuum leak: Each of the four throttle bodies has a vacuum hose attached (the charcoal canister hose splits into 4 hoses downstream of the purge solenoid). It's real easy to knock off one of these hoses during work without noticing it, and occassionally one will come off by itself. When this happens, the closed-loop engine electronics "hunts" -- it sees a lean condition (from one cylinder), richens the mixture, which causes the idle to rise, which is turned back down by the electronics to the target idle speed, which results in the O2 sensor seeing a lean condition from the vacuum leak again, restarting the cycle. The idle will go up and down between ~1000-~1800 rpm.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Its not a high speed flutter... more like a slower movement every sec or so. How much crap has to come off to see if a vac hose got knocked off?
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

post #12 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
Its not a high speed flutter... more like a slower movement every sec or so. How much crap has to come off to see if a vac hose got knocked off?
Jim
It does sound like a loose hose. If you know where the hose stub tubes are on the throttle bodies, you can remove the left upper side panel and left fan shroud, then use a flashlight and long-nose pliers to reach the hose ends -- but it's a pita. Much easier to pull the fuel tank (both upper side panels, radio stingray, seat frame, tank).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in