• 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By Atomicman
  • 1 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 7th, 2016, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question Intergraded brake system

I love my 2006 ABS intergraded brakes, but do have one question. Is there a difference if i use the Hand brake or the foot brake in the way it's actuated? I've tried to feel if there is, but can't really tell.
Also, is their a way to make the system use only "ONE" brake, i.e. the rear. Some slow speed maneuvers suggest you use the rear brake only for performing them correctly. I've finally mastered slow speed U-turns using the "slip clutch, engine rev technique, but some also say that you should slightly use the rear brake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 7th, 2016, 7:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Intergraded brake system

In a nut shell grab full lever or full foot brake and you will get maximum braking from both front and rear. You can trail brake as a "slight" (and that is subjective) amount of pressure on the peddle will only activate the rear brake. But anything above "slight" will get both. It is a great system as I have had to apply full braking, two up and pulling a 350 lb Bushtec trailer @ 65 MPH and she made a lot of noise but sopped straight and true. I did like the split system I had on the GS as I could use full rear only while front activated both.

For the U turn I would avoid the rear brake until you can master the "slight" application. Any front brake at all in that maneuver will result in a dirt nap.

Enjoy the ride.
BeemerJoe likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 2:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Integral brake system

As usual, John Z has pretty much nailed it.

BMW Motorrad uses the term Integral to refer to the braking system on the 2002 and up K12LT (2001 in Europe/Canada). Technically, that's neither Linked nor Integrated as they don't fall easily into either of those definitions.

These power assisted brakes are controlled by a small processor that varies the front and rear braking forces applied depending on wheel speed, lever forces applied, and other conditions. At driving speeds and normal conditions, you will get a similar response from either the front or rear lever. But at slower speeds, the front brake lever has much more effect on the front wheel and the rear brake can be applied without generating any noticeable force on the front wheel. That's what makes slow-speed u-turns possible with light rear brake application. Add to that the ABS functions, which attempts to limit wheel lockups under heavy braking or in slick conditions, and the power assist, which multiplies the forces exerted by the brake levers onto the calipers.

Some of the older Gold Wings had one front and the rear caliper connected to the rear lever, while the front lever operated the other front caliper. That setup (and linking all calipers to both levers) can easily be accomplished by just rerouting the hydraulic plumbing. Honda's current Linked Braking System uses multi-piston calipers with some brake pistons from each wheel hooked to the front lever and the others hooked to the rear lever, but again this is just a trick of plumbing with no real intelligence or active compensation. The BMW Integral Power ABS unit is a much more sophisticated and active unit that doesn't really fit into those classifications.

So basically what BMW has done is unique in the motorcycle world, and not directly comparable to any other brake system that you may be familiar with. And yes, it just works, very well.

There's more good info in this thread, and a detailed description of flushing and bleeding the Integral brakes in this pdf.
BeemerJoe likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Integral brake system

Thank you Meese. That's the exact information i was looking for. Very informative. Nice to understand how things like that work.

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 12:40 pm

COME ON NOW...iT IS "INTEGRATED" BRAKES!

NOT INTEGRAL OR INTERGRADED
BeemerJoe likes this.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

i stand corrected

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 5:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

According to BMW, it's Integral ABS.

"In the K Series and the flat twin "boxer" models, two different types of the BMW Motorrad Integral ABS are used: the touring bike K 1200 LT is fitted with the ABS with full integral function, while all other models have the part integral function. "

Linked or Integrated brakes as used by other manufacturers are a whole different design, with inferior adaptive braking capabilities...
BeemerJoe likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
COME ON NOW...IT IS "INTEGRATED" BRAKES!

NOT INTERGRADED
Corrected!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in